The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Adding additional tail, brake & signaling lights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Adding additional tail, brake & signaling lights Reply with quote

With my CD-25 and trailer shortly to be released from their respective repair shops (see post "It shouldn't happen to a dog ..." for details), I've been looking at ways to improve the rear visibility of the boat and trailer.

Eye level lighting would be a major safety enhancement. Because the trailer lights are low, their visibility to following drivers is poor. Additionally, with a long wide rig, the lights on the truck are largely obscured.

What I've found that (on paper at least) appears easy to use, inexpensive and likely to be effective is a 60" LED light bar called "Line of Fire". It is thin, sealed, very light weight and looks like it could be attached to the transom running behind the motor (need to get the boat back with the replacement motor before I'm sure of this statement). It costs $50 locally, $45 on-line and comes with a standard trailer electrical connector. The guy at Trick Trucks said it's very bright. It incorporates tail light, brake light and signaling functions.

I'm guessing I'd mount it so it's removable when on the water, but I'll know better when I have both the boat and it in hand. If "Line of Fire" meets expectations, I'd also consider putting a second one on the rear lip of the cabin roof, but one thing at a time.

Thoughts/experiences anyone ???

Bill Moseley
Edgewater, MD
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with it, but my thoughts are Thumbs Up! That looks like it was made for what you have in mind. Looking at it online even got me thinking about ways to use it myself. Lots of folks have made removable light bars gizmos using traditional lamps with all kinds of ways of hanging them, both for the reasons you have and for keeping the lights out of the water. This LED bar looks simple and very well suited to the task. You can easily splice in a female plug at the rear of the trailer so a simple unplug-and-go will work. I like it.

P.S. - I really don't feel up to going back and rereading "It shouldn't happen to a dog ..." , though. Too tough. So you'll soon be back in business, huh? Good, good. The insurance guys do alright by you?

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill, Your story resonates in my mind whenever I trail Adeline, especially in stop-n-go traffic. After reading your query I found this neat item on the net http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000E6DZX/fatlenscom-20by googling "led trailering light outboard". It would be a simple matter to wire this to the existing harness with spade or bullet connectors for easy removability.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another idea...http://www.pipe-light.com/
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I mentioned this before: I took at 10 foot piece of PVC pipe trimmed to 8 1/2 feet, I belive it was 2" diameter, and put the LED lights outboard, and the 3 LED lights in the center. Split into the wiring harness at the back of the trailer, and put in a 4 pin connector, so we have brakes, turn and tail lights. This is secured with bundee cords to the outboards (foam protects the outboard from the PVC Pipe). I don't have a photo, since that unit with with the boat I sold in June--but I'll be making one for the next long trip.

You can place this anywhere you want. Be sure and seal the splices into the lines well. use silicone grease on the connectors--and we disconnect on launch. It gets the bright lights right up to drivers levels.

If you have "standoffs" you can also put lighting on them--at any level which you desire. I put just a combination red (rear)and yellow (forward) light on the top--but you can put more if you want. I also put retroflective tape on the standoffs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

How about reflective tape all over the trailer? Cheaper.

Fred

C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: TUG Solved This Issue Reply with quote

The CR25 solved this issue. The tail/brake lights are built into the transom of the boat. The trailer lights plug into the boat itself.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffheap wrote:
Hi Folks,

How about reflective tape all over the trailer? Cheaper.

Fred

Hey Fred, how do you get that tape to blink when you turn or stop? Disgust

It's like insurance, you gotta spend a few bucks to save your important assets.... Love

And your Axx. Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my trailer lights whacked a couple of times while parked. My cheap solution was to buy some lights from the nearest West Marine (no too pricey) and to screw them onto pieces of plywood. I drilled a hole in each corner of the plywood boards. I ran a piece of 1/4" nylon rope through the upper two holes and tied knots in the end such that a plywood has a rope "handle" on the top. I can hook these into the rear cleats on the boat. The bottom holes hang down close enough to the tie down D-rings on the boat that I can run a cable tie through the D-ring and one hole on the plywood to secure the lower end.

I made a Y-cable for the trailer that allows me to hook in both the pre-existing trailer lights + my hanging lights. I generally don't tow with my add-on lights. But I always have them in my truck for a quick replacement when (not if) someone whacks my lights again in a tight parking lot.

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about additional lights BEYOND the legal requirements.

I did the clip on lights for a while. I attached the lights to small clamps, one facing forward, one facing aft. I then clipped them to the ventilators on my aft side decks, making sure the right goes to the right side, and the left to the left side. I still have them, though I now have the regular lights.

Sorry to confuse anybody.

Fred
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for something else (AirBags and tow vehicles Shocked ) and found this thread. So, I am working on this project too.

I just put a RECON LED light bar on the back of my truck

https://gorecon.com/product/60-tailgate-bar-led-signals-brake-reverse-lights/

and I am looking at doing the same for the back of the boat. It would be up above the aft gunnel cleats, has tail, brake, turn and backup LEDs. Comes with a straight 4 plug, but for the back of the boat, to get the backup lights, I am gong to convert that plug to a 5 pin and use 6 wire covered bundle, and add amber or red clearance LED lights on the end of a 7 foot bar, and maybe add some extra backup potential too. I was a bit disappointed in the light bar, backup lite is only a center section of the bar, not the full 60 inch width.

It kind of follows the same philosophy as on my motorcycle, "Hard to have too much light".

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Current C Dory 25 trailer, I put in LED tail/brake and turn lights at the top of the standoff' PVC pipe. I used one size up "45* EL..and slipped it over the pipe. the wire was spliced for the taillight below. I also put a "jewel" amber light toward the front of the pipe, and a red (stop, flasher, turn) aft. By looking in the Rear view mirror I could see the amber light, and know that the flasher.brake or turn light is working. Also so many of the trailer lights are tucked under the boat--and up high , like the transverse bar, as well as the the vertical lights are very visible.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
...I also put a "jewel" amber light toward the front of the pipe, and a red (stop, flasher, turn) aft. By looking in the Rear view mirror I could see the amber light, and know that the flasher.brake or turn light is working. ....

My trailer came with amber marker lights on the front of the fenders that are connected to the red lights at the back. They let me see what the red lights are doing via the rear view mirrors.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
thataway wrote:
...I also put a "jewel" amber light toward the front of the pipe, and a red (stop, flasher, turn) aft. By looking in the Rear view mirror I could see the amber light, and know that the flasher.brake or turn light is working. ....

My trailer came with amber marker lights on the front of the fenders that are connected to the red lights at the back. They let me see what the red lights are doing via the rear view mirrors.

Yes, my trailer (Pacific) has fender lights. My new LED lightbar will have amber side markers, red side blinkers, and stop, turn, tail and backup and will be about 6 feet above road height. It is still in production, so no pix yet.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness - if the driver can't see that an 8 foot wide, 10 foot tall, 30 foot long trailer with working lights in the regular old spot isn't stopping or turning, then it's a bad day at driver education class. I always laugh a little up here because the State makes folks with big loads put an oversized load sign on the front and back of their rigs and run a strobe light. I'm like....duh....never would have noticed....Totally agree some people need all the help they can get on the road Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: