The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

go on plane on only one engine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: go on plane on only one engine? Reply with quote

Will a Tomcat 255.... with twin 150hp engines ....go up on plane on only one engine???? If one failed or fouled it would be nice .
Has anyone with a Tomcat tried it???

Dick E
Orinda,Ca
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be REAL careful with this... A large, real large amount of torque taking place back there...that is/would be "out of balance"... That is a heavy boat, and the 150s each provide "focused" pressure on the "braket" rather than the transom areas to push the boat.

I will defer to the real engineers, and folks that may know the technical answer to this.

One afternoon on my TC24, with twin 90s, I wanted to know the same thing... Answer:... Well... if I was going down and needed to get to shore faster than 7 knots (which seem to be the highest speed mine would go without just feeling all bad and weird).....then I'd do it if the water was real cold or had more than me on board. But...just to possbily save fuel, I would not go there. Just too many things out of whack.

But then... my motors were mounted right to the boat... so... just how does or does this change with the Armstrong brackets? Hummm

I know it should not/would not take but about 50-80 hp to keep it on plane once on plane... but is it just too much twisted torque...?

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is NO. I have tried it under multiple conditions. What I did not do is to pull the other motor all of the way up--but I was told by Teleflex that it is hard on the Liquid tie bar to bring one montor up and pour on the coals on the other. Having had one steering pump fail at idle, I am not going to tempt fate!

The Tom Cat 255 begins to pull strongly to the side of the single engine, even with the other engine down--and there is a lot of steering torque. About 8 to 9 knots is max comfortable speed with the single. This speed will get you safely home--and that is all that is important.

If you want to run planing speeds on a single of twins, there are a few fairly flat bottom outboard monohulls which will do this. However, most likely you will be lugging the engine--doing it no favors, even with a monohull.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: