The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Charger Went South...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Battery Charger Went South... Reply with quote

Of course, we are in the Keys, so all of the boat is south. We have been fussing with low batteries for the past 48 hours, and I have figured out that it is the Guest 2621 battery charger not working. I've isolated all three batteries and they seem to be fine. We are getting by (NOISILY) with the Honda generator and a 12v cord that I picked up on yesterday's Cruisers Net.

So, the Guest manual says this, if not functioning:
1. No AC power available at the charger
2. Charger failure

Duh?

Is there any user-servicable stuff inside that Guest? We are hanging on the hook for the next few days, and I am not excited about plunking down $300-$400 on another charger (plus the hassle of finding one). Guest does warranty this unit for two years, but you get to send it to them for repair or replacement. Guess I could always buy another automotive charger and limp by.

What's that definition of cruising... "fixing your boat in exotic new places". Rolling Eyes

Any ideas from the C-Brat brain trust? As always, your input is appreciated.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim! You more than likely have an automotive charger... go ahead and pull the boat charger, contact guest and let them know where you are and you are traveling, and who knows what they might do....outside of their "normal" warrantee stuff??? Might even work out a swap out at a shop there that serves shrimp, oysters, and battery chargers, and has the underside of their porch roof painted sky blue as to assist in keeping the insects out... Beer

A call to the factory could not hurt...and the worse news they can give you is "send it in and we will look at it...", and of course just like an Armstrong floor that went bad in a previous house of mine.... my comment to Mr. Armstron on the phone was..... Now Mr. Armstrong... I have bought your product with my money and now your product is letting me down and is broke....help me with exactly why I should put more good money on bad money and buy your stuff again if you are not going to work with me here...?""

No more Armstrong products in my bird nest.

How is the water temp down there now? Some great snorkling waters for sure.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Byrdman, I do have an automotive battery charger. It's sitting in my house in Texas. We were pretty maxed out with space, so it did not come along. Crying or Very sad Shucks, with the onboard charger and the Honda generator, I felt like we were backed-up. I may have to pull up the anchor, leave the dinghy to hold our space and go run this boat, using the alternator to bring the batteries up. OMG, the alternator doesn't run through this damn charger, does it??? Crook

Best wishes,
Jim B.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: charger Reply with quote

We bought chargers from Wallyworld they call them smartchargers from b/d for about $20 Ask Mike (Papion) they work Great .Also you could call up Guest on monday and maybe do a trade at West marine in Marathon Good Luck JIm on Duck

Hopefully we can meet up with you guys in the keys somtime in mar.

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, if you "high idle" your motor , you should be able to get a decent charge rate from the alternator. If you push the center of the place where the throttle handle pivots in and advance the throttle [bypassing the shifting mechanisim] and run it around 2000-2500 rpm you should get good output . Lots more than the 7 amps the Gen puts out .
Marc

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine
2055 Overseas Hwy
Marathon, FL 33050
(305) 289-1009

"A" is the location...Good Luck...Call George for a ride.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi y'all,

Thanks for the suggestions, all good. West Marine sells 'em, but tells me that you have to go back to the mfg for warrany work.

Mark from Wefings: we did charge using the motor for a while.

We have the situation temporarily solved. Brent and I hoofed it to K-Mart where I was able to find an automotive charger (that'll make 3 of those we have now Rolling Eyes ). Just got back, fired up the generator, turned off the eco-throttle, and we are now showing 13.1 volts! I figure with the automotive charger AND the Honda 12v adaptor, I am putting about 18 amps into that battery bank. At this rate, it will still take hours to get a full charge, but it's heading the right direction. The Blonde is happy, so all is good with the world.

It will probably be another 10 days or so before we make our way to Key West (50 miles from Boot Key Harbor); places we want to stop along the way. Looks like we have some weather coming in tonight/tomorrow that will last for a few days, so we'll just stay tight at anchor.

We're heading out tonight to see one of our favorite performers, Eric Stone, live at Berdines. The 4 of us have reservations for another place tomorrow for the Super Bowl... including a water taxi for both trips... some of you know how Dixie gets when she's had half a beer! Mr. Green (That's one of the nice things about having an internet connection when the boat you're traveling with doesn't: we get to be the first liar. Wink )

Best wishes,
Jim B.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I am feeling all mushy today, and I was going to send you guys a PM but decided to post my brief message here for all the world to see. At least it will soon be buried in the Electrical and Wiring forum so you won't be having to say your thanks to everyone who agrees for too long.

Jim and Joan, you folks are wonderful to have around. Your posts, and the obvious effort and time you put into crafting them, are a real nice treat. Entertaining, friendly, funny and genuine. If you guys ever stop posting frequently you had best be up in the frozen north working on a pipeline project with DoD or we're gonna hunt you down. And since the chances of me making it to Texas or the Fiji Islands or wherever you're going to go next are pretty slim, you are required to attend the SBS next year or a CBGT in the NW sometime sooner so I can finally meet you.

Thanks,

Mike

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Mike, I'm blushing. Other than my Mother, that is the nicest public comment I can remember. Of course, I have to check my driver's license each morning to remember my name.

We're just having some fun here. Brent and Dixie have a great attitude; especially Dixie. Standing in the laundrymat, dripping with sweat, she said, "Isn't this just great? I love this!" I asked if she meant the laundrymat. She responded, "It's not so good, but did you see the moon on the water last night?" The girl has spunk. I hate spunk. If Brent wasn't so big and there hadn't been so many witnesses, I would have sucker-punched her and blamed it on someone else.

Yes, I'm kidding. As the t-shirt says, "The difference between adversity and adventure is attitude."

Thanks for the kind words. We are certainly looking forward to meeting you, as well. We are tentative scheduled for the Bellingham gathering (any good reason to see Joe and Ruth again). Hope that works out - I'll buy the first adult beverage.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou Grant, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, if I am not mistaken!

JamesTXSD wrote:
The girl has spunk. I hate spunk.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Lou Grant, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, if I am not mistaken!

JamesTXSD wrote:
The girl has spunk. I hate spunk.

Ding, ding, ding! No more calls, we have a winner. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: