The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A new C-Ranger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl, the magazine is a part of the Tallahassee Democrat . They called me to do an article on the trawler lifestyle . Well with a bit of on the fly thinking , I convinced them to do it on the "Trailerable Trawler" lifestyle and asked them to come interview you . We are looking forward to seeing the article and appreciate your participation . Ill look to see if they have an online version , and I will also get you a few copies when it is published .
Marc

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captd wrote:

Anchor winch......anyone know how to stop slipping right at the rope ,chain connection. I am going to try taping....

captd

What brand and model of windlass do you have?

Who made the rope/chain rode and/or who spliced it?

The rope/chain splice is larger in diameter where the rope doubles back on itself, and tends to jam in some windlasses.

Additional pressure from the Fleming (pressure finger) would help, if you can arrange it.

I think the best solution is to re-do the splice with a different type of connection that only doubles one of the three strands of rope back into itself, and weaves the other two down and into the chain. Much less increase in rope/chain diameter at the splice that way, and NO JAMMING!

Here's a LINK to the discussion of that method of splicing.

Here's another LINK to a somewhat different type of splice that you might also want to consider.

And for those of us who are engineering/science/detail oriented, HERE'S a classic test of some of these splicing methods by Chuck Hawley, testing for West Marine.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
wthattny

City/Region: Conifer
State or Province: CO
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Darrel's interview for "Forgotten Coast Magazine" Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was down at Eastpoint (again) to test drive the Maritime Challenger and ran across Darrel's article in Forgotten Coast Magazine.

http://www.tallahasseemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=199&Itemid=78

My copy has pictures, but they don't show up on the web link article. The first picture shows Miss Dee being launched at the Apalachicola city marina, and the second shows Darrel sitting at the helm. Wish I could upload them, especially the second one. Man, that's a look.

What a very nice boat.

- Bill -
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Darrel's interview for "Forgotten Coast Magazine&qu Reply with quote

wthattny wrote:

ran across Darrel's article in Forgotten Coast Magazine.
http://www.tallahasseemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=199&Itemid=78
My copy has pictures, but they don't show up on the web link article.

Read the article and would question this comment "Time will tell whether the C-Ranger tug becomes as popular as the smaller C-Dory. The C-Ranger R-25 can cost as much as $150,000 fully loaded, while a 22-foot C-Dory can run around $30,000."

Who is selling C-Dory's for that price ???

Tom
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,
He must have talked to someone besides me. Marc did you tell him $30,000 for a 22 ft. C-Dory? Those weren't the only figures missqouted.
Nice guy tho.
Captd ( Darrel )

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont recall giving prices , maybe he looked at the factory published pricing on the website with no motor or rigging or trailer ?????
Marc
PenguinPA

City/Region: Tacoma
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: R'Dragon
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening to All!

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a R-25. we are down sizing from a 40' Ponderosa. Of course, I have tons of questions for those who have gone before.

Right now LUSR in Fife has hull#10 for sale and I have been thinking very hard about making the purchase. I have some concerns of course considering this boat hasn't been purchased yet. Anything in particular I need to be wary of?

Also, if you were dealing with LUSR, who would recommend to talk with? The salesperson I have been working with is an ok guy but a little unsure of himself as well as the boat.

Sorry that my first post has be huge but I am really interested in becoming a new owner of the "tug"

Drew
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PenguinPA-

Welcome to the C-Brats!

Undoubtably many current C-Ranger owners will respond diretly to your question, but just about all that is currently known about the C-Ranger Tugs can be found HERE, and there's more information there than you'll ever get on one thread. Have you read these posts?

Joe. Wink
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PenguinPA-

We also bought our boat from LUSR in Fife. I'd agree that most of the people at LUSR do not know much about the boat - they are on the learning curve. Our salesman was Jack Krona.

Ranger has been also on a learning curve on the 25 - making improvements on every boat as they go. I don't know which changes have occurred since hull 10 (ours is 23), but probably the biggest is the engine. The current models offer a 110 hp that is quieter (and meets the 2006 emission standards) - hull 10 probably has the 125 hp?

Joe's right - best idea is to read the C-Ranger forum - and please go ahead and post any questions you still have there

Mac
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought would be to stop by the factory in Kent and talk to the Livingstons, they have always been very candid about things...I do think you would be better off with a more current hull than #10. One of the issues was reduction of weight to improve cruising performance.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of older threads on the C Ranger 25:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=4437&highlight=

Look at: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=4268&start=0

I don't believe that these are included in the "C Ranger 25" site--they came before this thread was opened.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
PenguinPA

City/Region: Tacoma
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: R'Dragon
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: New Ranger Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their input.... I have been lurking on the site for a few months, but our situation changed recently and I think we maybe moving towards a solution soon!!! I look forward to future posts as just lurking on the site has given me great ideas. Hopefully one day, we can even meet up with a brand-new ranger at one of the events

Thanks again
Drew
Ranger Jeff
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Kent
Photos: Ranger Factory Album
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: factory tour Reply with quote

Hello Drew,

A stop by the factory would probably answer your questions. Hull 10 had most of the running changes in place. I would be happy to show you through a boat currently in production and you can make a decision for yourself.

Thank you for your interest.

Jeff

25802 Pacific Highway South
Kent, WA 98032
Office 253 839 5213
Cell 206 940 0571
e-mail jeffmessmer@rangertugs.com
Vikingbaat

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: HAVNISSEN
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew

I signed up for a new Ranger-25 at the 2006 Seattle Boat Show. I took delivery last Thanksgiving and was told by John at the factory that I had hull # 10. Maybe I had better check my slip at the marina to see if it is still there?

We have enjoyed the boat immensely and I am certain you will also. We came back to Edmonds, from a day trip to Poulsbo, during quite a blow this past March with my son at the helm. I thought we should turn back, as water was coming over the bow and drenching the windows, but the boat performed ideally and we made it safely back to the marina.

Nice to have you aboard.

Anders
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Hull identification number will tell you what the boat number is: The first three letters are the manufactuer, the next three numbers are the lenght or model, then next three are the hull number (such as 010 for #10) and then a digit for the month the boat was started, and finally the date and year in numbers. Apparently not all hulls were sequential--some orders came out of "turn" as boats were assigned to a dealer. So a #9 might have been started after a # 11 --or so they say...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: