The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer Brake Upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Trailer Brake Upgrade Reply with quote

I now find that my pre-purchase research was lacking. We had planned on trailering Dreamer to Canada this Summer. I now find out that my surge brakes are not allowed there on a 10,000# boat and trailer.

I will probably do the upgrade to electric over hydraulic myself and had settled on a Hydra Star unit. A distributor called today and suggested the SensaBRAKE unit. It's air over hydraulic with an electric pump to create the air pressure.

Has any one used one of these? www.SensaBRAKE.com

Has anyone even heard of them? They're from Australia. I'll wait for some C-Brat input before rushing into anything. You guys always have wonderful insight into these matters.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that what was legal in the state of license would pass Canadian inspection..... Yeow ! I have drum brakes on only one axle....I think they want brakes on all wheels in Canada....
I have drum brakes on that axle and I doubt they work. (really don't care)

Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the British Columbia web site:'
"Brake Requirements
All trailers and towing dollies (car dollies) must have brakes on all wheels when their GVW (trailer/dolly and load) exceeds 1,400 kg (3,086 pounds). Every trailer with brakes must have a breakaway device hooked to the trailer brake system.
Surge brakes must be used when towing a vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of up to and including 2,800 kg (6,173 pounds).
From 2,800 kilograms and up the towed vehicle brakes must be able to be applied by the driver of the tow vehicle."

Earlier in the regulations it notes that US vehicles are subject to the Canadian and provendice laws. It also notes that no trailers greater than 8'6" are allowed (I didn't see any exception for "wide load permit" for US boats or RV's.

We tow a Honda Pilot (4500 lbs) behind our RV. It uses an air brake which is inertial operated. It has not failed in over 50,000 miles, so this seems reasonably reliable. But it is not as "controlable" as an electric brake. You can set the amount of breaking or just use the trailer brakes with electric over hyraulic. At times the air brakes are too much--and one setting does not always seem correct for all conditions. It is not ideal.
It seems to me that an air compressor might add another source of failure..which may not be as good as the electric/hyraulic accentuator--but this is speculation on my par.

So at least for BC the limit is not 10,000 lbs, it is 6,173 lbs. This would seem to include some of the other C Dories--perhaps the 25?--definately the TC 255 and the C ranger 25.

Regards,

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me a good place to start would be with EZ-Loader. Has anyone approached them about what they do for their Canadian customers?

I'm glad this issue was raised. I would not have wanted to find this out at the border!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's significant! My boat and trailer weigh in at 7,450 lbs (considered lighter than most) with a full tank of gas, 1/2 tank of water, raft, dingy motor and a 'weekends' supply of food/clothes. When I pass through to Prince Rupert I will have quite a bit more in supplies. Even with a dry gas tank (-650 lbs) and no water (-50 lbs) it'll be practically impossible to slip under that 6,173 lb limit. Even if I offload everything that isn't fiberglassed in and put it in the back of my tow vehicle. Hmmm, not looking good -- and I like my surge brakes just the way they are...
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm just wondering if they really check out every trailer for their brake systems? I find it hard to believe that they are doing that but then again there is a terror watch Neutral
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakes on both axles are definitely required up here. Swanny I really doubt that anyone will check the weight of your boat and trailer. Surge brakes are very popular up here on most trailers and I would bet a lot that are well over 6100lbs. EZ Loader trailers are widely sold here (I have one) and they come with brakes on both axles. Other than that, they are the same as what is old below the border.
Ron
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next question...now that I "HAVE" to add a set of brakes...I will convert to disk brakes.... probably use the kit sold by West Marine...and just replace the drum brakes I already have.... Has anyone tried the disk brake conversion sold by West Marine ??? any problems ?? (other than price)

Joel
SEA3PO
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel-

I've had good service and saved a lot of money by using parts from Champion Trailers in Lousiana.

Their prices are about 60% of West Marine, and they carry quite a few different common brands of parts, eg. Tie Down, Dico/Titan, Fulton,Brakerite, Hoppy, Stolz, etc.

I'm not overly abusive in my towing style, however, and I don't live on the road, either.

Some folks who punish their trailers beyond reason seem to think Kodiak brakes are the best and worth the 3X cost, though.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron, maybe it's one of those laws on the books that none of the checkers are really equipped to enforce. I can see a place for it though, especially during the colder months where ice/snow could be a serious problem if not capable of braking the trailer first perhaps.

I had a plan B. Put the following in the back of the Expedition: 1 of 2 80hp engines, both anchors/chain/rode, both batteries, porta potty, ice chest, table, chairs, food and anything else not permanently mounted, might make the weight limit -- could do this if told it does not pass -- right in their parking lot (engine could be a bit of a challenge). If they ask why I have such a large engine in the back of the Expedition, I would say it's my dink motor for my VLI (Very Large Inflatable)!

Plan C. If they refuse to let me pass, then I'll just turn left and go to the San Juans...

Steve (Swanny)
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plan C. If they refuse to let me pass, then I'll just turn left and go to the San Juans...

Steve,
No one is even going to ask about your trailer at the border. I have the 25 on my EZ Loader and I have yet to be stopped or checked in 25 plus trips throughout BC. As long as your tow rig and trailer look like they can handle the load you won't have any problem. You will just be asked if your are carrying more than $10,000 in cash, firearms, and if you are bringing in anything to sell or leave in Canada. Maybe about fruits and meats as well. Just leave the excess cash and guns at home, eat your fruit and meat before you cross and you are home free! Laughing Oh yeah, top up your fuel tanks before you cross. Gas may seem pricey in WA but its the lowest you'll see until you get back.
Ron
tmarks11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several manufacturers of electrohydraulic actuators. In the US, you can buy Dexter version for about $600-660, which is considerably little cheaper then the sensa product above. Just remember to buy the "optional" breakaway kit, which is a trailer mounted rechargeable battery to activate the brakes when required.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/electro_hydraulic_actuators

I believe the hydrastar (that you mentioned) made by Carlisle is probably the best solution, but have no experience with them.

http://www.carlisleinternetsales.com/

Just remember to buy the "optional" breakaway kit, which is a trailer mounted rechargeable battery to activate the brakes when required.

Both carlisle and dexter are large, well known leaders in their field, and appear to put out quality products. You might be better off going with them instead of an unknown startup company. If I ever have to replace a surge coupler on a trailer, I will definitely spend the extra $$$ to get a carlisle actuator.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tmarks,
Thanks for the input. I actually found a HydraStar actuator for $ 403 at www.electronicbrakesystems.com! He's the one who also sells, and pushes, the SensaBrake.

I thought it was on this site that someone commented on seeing someone get turned around at the border due to the wrong trailer brakes. Hope that was not the case.
tmarks11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great price; $200 less then anyone else. Consider that a decent surge actuator costs $100, that is not that much of a premium to get the electrohydraulic actuator.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer, That is a great price $562 for the controller, break away and 1600 PSI accentuator.
Thanks for finding that.

Bob Austin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: