The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Molded Interior - Poll Redux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Now what do we think of the new molded interior?
Good
38%
 38%  [ 41 ]
Bad
26%
 26%  [ 28 ]
Don't care
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Still haven't seen it to decide
20%
 20%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 106

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there should be an official C-Dory Owners Advisory Committee sponsored by the factory. With such a resource they could avoid a lot of aggravation and frankly stupid decisions like the "childs work desk" that has replaced the table.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcia and I spent some time on the new 22 at the SBS comparing it to Valkyrie and liked some things and were disppointed by others.

The molded cockpit sole is nice, but the storage pockets are miniscule compared to the former full length ones. We put two fenders on each side of ours and that's not possible on the new boat. This is a bulky item and hard to stow elsewhere. Also, although we currently carry two telescoping boathooks in spring clips, one below each storage box, we used to put them in the storage areas, but this is no longer possible. Also, with the new molded pockets, it's not possible to mount them under the pockets, which keeps them out-of-the-way, but still readily accessible.

In the cabin, the port side is a disappointment, as many have said before, so I won't go into repetitive detail here. One thing that others haven't mentioned is the new passenger seat that folds down like the helm seat. There is a new cushion that is inserted in its place when used as a bunk, necessitating an extra cushion to be stowed when not in use.

The access port to the floor area, which is one big open area, is very small and finding anything stored there calls for almost everything else to be removed.

The hinged storage area at the helm is gone, replaced by a very small access port. On Valkyrie, that area is for emergency gear (Olin flare kit in soft bag, smoke flares, parachute flares, wood emergency through-hull plugs, underwater epoxy sticks, extra horn, handheld VHF and so on.) On our boat each and every one is instantly visible and accessible. On the new boat, it is impossible to use the area in such a way and I doubt that the Olin kit would even fit through the opening.

Galley: the new molded counter takes away about 2-3 inches of possible storage area behind the sink. On our boat we have a teak condiment (really a cassette rack) rack there, which is really handy. It also takes away the same depth from behind the stove. We still wonder why they mount the stoves so near the hull sides, rather than further forward. When we ordered our boat, we specified that the Wallas should be mounted further forward on the counter. This enabled us to add a teak rack behind the stove, something that most boats can't install due to the stove's location and this is further complicated by losing the space behind the stove to the new molded interior.

Also, on our boat we mounted a three-inch tall teak board above the stern windows on either side of the door. The teak has cup hooks, both open and captured, that hold hats, keys, Croakies, a pocket knife and other odds and ends. On the new boat, the windows have been raised a few inches, negating the possibility of this addition.

We both believe that the new boat has a cleaner, finished look and that there are some definite advantages. Someone new to the line wouldn't notice the differences and could work around the changes and still have fun on a great, well-made boat.

However, we are now more appreciative of our boat and its possibilities than ever.

Nick
"Valkyrie"

Last edited by Valkyrie on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:47 am; edited 6 times in total
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's early yet, but this thing is a lot closer good/bad than I figured it would be. If I had not owned the original interior, I would think the new one is OK. If I had not seen the original, I would think the new one is good. I suppose I should quit badmouthing the thing, because it still can and will be altered to address the storage access issues and maybe even the storage space shortage.

I think I dislike losing the original more than seeing the new. It is not a matter of disliking change - it is the what that change is. Just this evening I dug out the seven (yep, 7!) teak faced drawers and the louvered teak door and frame I bought at Bellingham last summer. I am soon going to install them right into my existing cabinetry using the simple tools that most everyone has and the even simpler skills I possess. There is nowhere in the new CD25 to put seven drawers, even though the cabin is the same size. I could have put those same drawers in my old CD22, but in the new one they would not work. Hey - I like drawers. And I like to have my kids' junk out of sight yet easy for them to get at (yeah - like that's going to happen).

Still, as the votes come in I expect the poll to reflect a much broader acceptance of this new interior than it is showing now. It does look good, and to a first-time buyer it is probably a plus.

tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nick (Valkyrie) gunwale storage in the cockpit. When I looked at I immediately saw that nothing I normally put in the gunwales would fit or even stay there. I put boat fenders and docklines in there along with a small gaff, boat hook, fish towels, stray halibut weights, and just about anything else that fits. If I bought a new 22, I would remove both of them and put in a something like what I have using starboard or something similar.

On the inside, the port storage changes were depressing. Like in freezers top loading maximizes space inside. The rear is almost useless. The front is almost the same unless you put a rear wall in there so you don't have small items get pushed out the back. Yes it's not convenient to move a cushion, but I'd take the storage space.

I do like the deck in the cockpit. I have the removable floorboards and they at times will move slightly when you are leaning over to gaff a halibut or net a fish. It is somewhat unnerving so a fixed floor would mean a lot. You also have to remove them to clean everything well.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Not Made For A Big Guy Reply with quote

I just returned from the boat show having had an even closer look at the new molded 22. I made two new discoveries. I am 6.2 and 250 and I could not fit in the port side seat when it is facing forward. There was no room for my size 11.5 shoes. The second discover is I could barely slip my legs under the helm wheel. These do not appear to be easy modifications.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what am I missing?

There's a lot of storage on the water tank (take off the seat and top-load) and behind it that the newer boats just don't have at all (2006 seems to be the change).

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Down
It has all been said above.....and as a friend quoting his grandfather said...

"at this time, in this place, I choose to step over this...rather than in it."

Am I the only one who noticed that all the new folks were introduced by titles rather than people that USE BOATS... There is a crusty/salty ol man up there I missed at the show this year that stated to me one time that there is a great divide between the folks who build-n-sale boats....and those who "invest" and use them.

Today, this is also true of our ain't broke don't fix it CD22. Thumbs Down
Titles instead of people Thumbs Down
Leadership at C-Dory who actually OWN a CD22 and stay on them Thumbs Down This really shows up.

OK... I liked the quote...and did the best I could to follow it.

Byrdman...

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention the "titles" Patrick....Every single person from C-Dory said hello to us at the show, as busy as they were -- yes, most of them know us, but it seemed they spoke to everyone they made eye contact with...not one of the "sales folks" said a word -- do you think they were overwhelmed with the owner support and our acknowledgment of the makers? Wonder if they sold any boats?? If they did, I wonder if they know anything about the buyers, other than their financial qualifications. Sad

I know they've turned the sales over, but I hope it doesn't bite them in the longhaul. On the evening of December 23, 2005, the President and Marketing VP of C-Dory Marine were at our home, working on a fix for our problem with the first CatyMae -- that's unheard of, I know, but they did it...they flew to Portland and drove over an hour to get to our home in Jefferson -- THAT is customer service! Thumbs Up
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caty/Steve: I agree 100%....and point out the date of the action as you stated...

23Dec05... This is Jan07.... and I feel a lot has changed.

That was then....this is now.

I am just pointing out changes as I witnessed them...to include in the boats and them...."drifting" towards other boats that all look the same with much un-usable storage space....and in our "small pilot house cruisers", every inch is important as we stock our boats for long, extended trips. In a day boat it is of no issue... just toss on what you need that day in a cooler and be back in a few hours, go home, shower, cook, and chill out. It is differant when your boat IS your home, shower, bathroom and kitchen on the water.

Guess I am stepping in it instead of over it at this point...

I have bought 3 of these C-Dory boats and traveled on all 3.
I have sold 2 of the 3, and enjoyed the boats holding their individual value as each year they have increased in price for new ones around 5% a year.

Take a new 22 owner in Jan07. Our sale prices show our C-Dorys, in the past, have held their value about 5-8% better each year than the INDUSTRY STANDARD (which is the direction today I see the C-Dory boats going)... Now... say 4-5 years from now...you want a new CD25 upgrade from the 2007 CD22 you bought at the show. Industry standard boat would be worth 20% to 30% LESS VALUE....than the past few years of used C-Dory boats. So.. let's look past the boat show..and 4-5 years down the road.... Which value would any of us prefer if up-sizing??

Now I do not have money dripping off me...and that 20-30% of say....$60,000 would mean a lot to me....if I were loosing it, rather than investing it in a boat that held its value much better than industry standards.

Yes, I feel like my boats have been INVESTMENTS...or why would I take the time and money to fly to Seattle for the last 4 years??

Same issue with our cars... buy an entry level Honda/Toyota for 15K, compair it to a US made car costing the same, sold in the same condition/miles etc...five years from now....and which cars hold their value...and it is BECAUSE THEY ARE BUILT DIFFEARANT FROM THE GET GO.

I love ya all.. I simply think some looking about the plant and what they are putting out might need to be looked at...taking into account...our resale value of past year models of C-Dory boats... THEY ARE BUILT DIFFERANT than "INDUSTRY STANDARDS"..
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the new sales staff - I think we ought to put ourselves in the positions of these newcomers to our corner of the world. They have probably spent years dealing with customers who were trying to impress others with their money, possessions, style, etc., and now they're thrown in with a bunch of ornery realists who just skip the fluff and go for the gusto. Quite a different environment!

John
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagold wrote:
Quote:
what am I missing?

There's a lot of storage on the water tank (take off the seat and top-load) and behind it that the newer boats just don't have at all (2006 seems to be the change).

I put some stuff under the seat but there is not much room there, and it is angled, I wonder if my water tank is sitting a bit different than others? I'll have to take a closer look at an older model. Mine is an 06 model, is that why I'm not noticing the difference?

I talked to two different salesman from Sea Ray and they were both nice guys. I bet it is a little intimidating having so many C brats converge at the show. Since they are new dealers, some of us probably know more about the boats that they do. And I wouldn't worry too much about the level of service dropping. I made an appointment to take my boat in to Sea Ray for some minor warranty stuff, and news of it had made it all the way to Jeff, and he asked me about it at the party. On top of which, I had never received my spare tire when I took delivery and was given one promptly by Brett at the party as well. So apparently they are still in the loop as far as that type of thing goes. As far as our boats not holding their value as much, that is speculation at this point, who really knows what will happen there, but I'm not going to worry about it. Molded interior or not the Cdory is still a special boat, that has a great bunch of people who use them. The factory has shown me nothing but support whenever I have asked, and I won't doubt them until they prove otherwise. Just look at the awesome party we just had, those guys do care about us brats. Even when we are living up to our name Laughing . I would rather Cdory make some changes and stay current in the market, than not change a thing and grow stagnant, and be forced to close their doors, as no one will benefit from that.

just my $.02

Sark
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mine is an 06 model, is that why I'm not noticing the difference?

As I understand it -- they're completely different tanks. To give an idea, I have a microwave, charcoal lighter, charcoal lighter tube, grill to cover the tube (use that for cooking a single burger with a couple briquets), raingear, a toaster, and a few other goodies stored with the water tank. I'm sure people with the older boats do the same -- there's a lot of storage for the pack-rat crowd (of which I am one).
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutty Sark wrote:

I put some stuff under the seat but there is not much room there, and it is angled, I wonder if my water tank is sitting a bit different than others? I'll have to take a closer look at an older model. Mine is an 06 model, is that why I'm not noticing the difference?

Sark

Must be a change in the '06, as ours has the angled storage in the aft dinette seat also...not much can fit in there.
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagold wrote:
Quote:
Mine is an 06 model, is that why I'm not noticing the difference?

As I understand it -- they're completely different tanks. To give an idea, I have a microwave, charcoal lighter, charcoal lighter tube, grill to cover the tube (use that for cooking a single burger with a couple briquets), raingear, a toaster, and a few other goodies stored with the water tank. I'm sure people with the older boats do the same -- there's a lot of storage for the pack-rat crowd (of which I am one).

Holy Cow Shocked Shocked Shocked That is alot of stuff! Must be a huge difference in room. Is the water tank smaller on the older boats? I think mine is 25 gallon? I couldn't fit half the stuff in there, especially a microwave. That makes alot of sense, I couldn't figure out why everyone kept saying there was such a difference in room over the tank, the new molded interior looks almost bigger than the space that I have, I thought I was going crazy or missing something. Idea now I see.

Sark
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valkyrie is a 2005 and in that area we store three six packs of pop/beer, a Fortress anchor and ALL of our canvas-window covers and sides for camper canvas, and foul weather gear.

Without that space, I don't know where we would put all of that stuff. Our water tank holds 20 gals.

Nick
"Valkyrie"

Last edited by Valkyrie on Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: