The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Molded Interior - Poll Redux
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Now what do we think of the new molded interior?
Good
38%
 38%  [ 41 ]
Bad
26%
 26%  [ 28 ]
Don't care
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Still haven't seen it to decide
20%
 20%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 106

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: New Molded Interior - Poll Redux Reply with quote

Now that a lot of people have seen the improved edition of the new interior, we ought to run the poll again and see if some of the committed have changed their minds and the uncommitted have made theirs up.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see "fair" as an option. I liked the starboard side but still felt the port side could use some work. The table's a bit smaller and the access to the storage under the table and the barber chair is mediocre.

I'd also like to see the factory switch to higher quality latches on the cabinets. However, overall, I like it a bit better than the original version as I still think fiberglass is a ton easier to clean.

Mike - you probably don't have as much problem keeping your interior clean as -
1) With the bigger boat (25 vs my 22) you are less likely to get fish related mess transferred from the cockpit to the cabin and
2) You don't catch fish so often... Wink Laughing

TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - here's what I think having seen it. It looks very good, as I was sure it would; indeed it looks to the eye better than the wood cabinetry. It is functional, although not nearly so much as the original. If I was a day cruiser, I would probably prefer it.

To provide a glimpse of my perspective, I'll comment on a few of the other changes to the CD22 of late.

I like the glass door, although not enough to change the door I have. The door is a break even for me.

I like the new look of the gunnels with the tray inserts, and because they are easily removable to expose where the wiring is run they get no points off from me. I can understand why some folks do not care for them, but they look to be a plus to me.

I do not like the new cockpit floor, and would not want it in a CD22 I was fishing from. There again, I can see the many advantages and understand why a lot (most) people would want it. But I really prefer to have my feet below the water line and had no problem with the slightly sloped floor. This is a minus for me, but not enough to affect my choice if buying a boat.

The above changes are more cosmetic with little effect on the functionality, however. The change to the interior is a change in utility and I still do not care for it. I like lots of hidden yet easy accessible storage room, and the insufficient (to me) amount there was has been drastically reduced. I also like, in fact it is important to me, the ability to make changes upon changes. Not being the craftsman that some others are, I also need the ability to cheaply correct some of the changes I make. Maybe the glass will stand up to normal use better, but I can go to the closest Home Depot and get the stuff to repair the wood myself and not have to wear gloves to make the repairs. It looks good, and to a first-time buyer it is probably a sales plus. Had I never had a C-Dory it would probably not influence my buying decision at all. But having had a couple of them, I would look around a while before I bought a new one over an older design if I was in the market. I do not anticipate being in the market again, so I probably should have kept my mouth shut in the first place. I am sorry I called it that awful name in the other thread, but I still do not care for it. It will probably do as the factory hopes and sell more boats with less building trouble and costs, so I understand and do not begrudge them for doing it. But I don't like it. I still question the wisdom of glassing it to the hull. That creaking noise you sometimes hear from your wood interiors is due to the hull flexing as it needs to. I would expect there to be some stress cracks in the new interior showing up before too long, but not being an engineer I will not be placing any bets.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
I don't see "fair" as an option.

Well sir, it wasn't really fair of them to change this without asking you and the rest of us first, now was it? Besides, it's a done deal and if one is on the fence they ought to pick a side and jump off.

rogerbum wrote:
1) With the bigger boat (25 vs my 22) you are less likely to get fish related mess transferred from the cockpit to the cabin and

RB - you wear white lab coats to work and I wear greasy coveralls. I am messier than you. And I'll tell you something, young man, I have caught fish that were too long to fit in the cockpit - even of my 25 - without part of them sticking into the cabin. So stick that on the end of your pole and see what bites.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
rogerbum wrote:

<stuff clipped>

RB - you wear white lab coats to work and I wear greasy coveralls. I am messier than you. And I'll tell you something, young man, I have caught fish that were too long to fit in the cockpit - even of my 25 - without part of them sticking into the cabin. So stick that on the end of your pole and see what bites.

That was easy.... question his fishing ability = quick comeback.

Actually though, I know you've caught plenty of fish. Also, that white lab coat thing is a myth. Very few of them around and I've never worn one. I'm pretty much a blue jeans and pull-over shirt kinda guy. What you saw me in last night is my "work uniform"...
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This poll is surprising me in that it is as close as it is. It is early, so it may change in the percentages as more people vote.
________
Dave
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Besides, it's a done deal and if one is on the fence they ought to pick a side and jump off.

I'm still going to ride the fence anyway......just because I feel like riding something Wink . That being said, my opinion is that some storage space was lost and cruising with two women, (three if you count the dog Dog ), means I need all the storage space I can find! BTW, I didn't vote .....no applicable option Mr. Green .

Would I perform a proper christening for a "new style" C-Dory just as I would an "old style"?.............ABSOLUTELY! Beer

Rev. Dave

C-Brat #16
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have seen it, I have gone from negative to don't care...could be worse, still is not as good as the way it used to be...we have our boat, so it doesn't really affect us now, does it? Not bad enough to put us off from buying if we were in the market, but makes us glad we have a 2005...that plus the PRICE differential! Helen O Larry may want to reconsider his price!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Looks Ain't Everything Reply with quote

I think the molded interior has a better appeal to the eye but the three draw backs for me would be..

1. The passenger seat is so small it puts your left arm against hull.

2. You definitely lose storage space.

3. The access doors to the storage space would prohibit putting some larger articles under the seat.

For a new owner what you don't know you would never miss.

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the new cabin- I liked most of it. I did not like the small table and seating for the dinette.

I'll keep my '02 22' Cruiser

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the loss of space, but a new user would still be amazed at the storage over other designs. It's not my boat to buy, and there's so many older boats out there a person has a choice if the factory doesn't provide it (buy a used one).
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the new molded interior looked horrible. It's not the molded fiberglass that I don't like it's the design. You lose a lot of storage on the port side and access to that smaller storage space has been drastically reduced. It appears to me that C-Dory is making changes with production costs in mind and not how to better the boat. I think anyone who had this boat and used it on a weekly basis would not want this design.

Bill
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I really liked it. I thought the new interior was well done, maybe the table needed to be a bit bigger, but everything, looked good to me. And everyone keeps talking about how much storage is lost, what am I missing? I could see maybe a little was lost, but not much. And to me it looked like there was a little more room above and around the water tank.But maybe it's just the way mine was installed. The thing I liked the best was that the cabinets were glassed in, I don't care for the screws straight into the hull of the boat.

Sark
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bite this ??? TyBoo its time for yer little white pills.....

I looked at the new interior...and there are several things that make very good sense....like the molded cockpit...good for strength and gives a more finished look....and the interior...I thought the cooktop to be to low, but liked the smooth counter ... hated the table..or 1/2 table now...and the tiny seats...what's with that ?? they look like they were an afterthought...it sure does not look like the camper boat I bought... where's the storage ?? under the table has gone from a useful large area to a large area with a tiny hatch...and lots of useless room...sorry my arm just does not bend that way... also the way they changed the forward facing seat conversion (Barber chair) makes that cabinet almost useless.... I understand why some of these improvements were made.... strength...preformed units..ease of installation and improved materials.... but what they diden't do was have someone like Bill and El help design the units so they included storage..... useful storage....... possibly what they need to do is offer a couch interior like Fishtails has and a camper interior...and maybe something with a forward facing seat and a fixed table/workspace area... and sell the boats with specific interiors.
I just know I really hated the 1/2 table and tiny seat arrangement.

I know....take a lude.

Joel
SEA3PO
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
TyBoo its time for yer little white pills.....

I don't have any. Remember? Sue begged me to give you my last three at the garage sale.

SEA3PO wrote:
.... but what they didn't do was have someone like Bill and El help design the units

I really agree with you on that one. I think that's the part that gets me the most.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: