The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What kind of motor on new 19' ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kah-ee-kee

City/Region: Antioch, San Joaquin River
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Kah-ee-kee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: What kind of motor on new 19' ??? Reply with quote

I the process of buying a new 19' with trim tabs...trying to decide on type of outboard......have three choices...

Nissan, Yamaha or Honda...

Dealer says I can run a Yamaha - T60 with the trim tabs...and it is lighter weight....and cheaper...

I am leaning towards a 70 or 75 ....can't decide on which brand is best...

Any advise would be appreciated.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter coussoulis wrote:
In the process of buying a new 19'Angler with trim tabs......have choice of three different brand motors.

Nissan....Yamaha....or Honda ??? (Any preferences ?)

If these are your choices - go with the Honda. Normally, I'm pretty neutral on engine decisions, but I had a 19 with a Yamaha F80. Don't get me wrong - it was a great engine, never a lick of a problem, and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who has a bad thing to say about Yamahas in general. However, with the open back of the 19, noise is an issue; my F80 was significantly louder than a Honda 75 or 90. In a 22, this wouldn't be much of an issue due to the rear bulkead, and ability to close the door while under way.
Quote:

Dealer suggests I could run a Yamaha - T60 with the trim tabs.....
but I am leaning towards a 70 or 75 ......

The Yamaha T60 is lighter weight and cheaper....just don't know if it is enough power......

Don't do it - I did, and it was an absolute disaster. I got the first 19 Angler, and the factory and my dealer were'nt sure how to power it; we started with an F60 Yamaha. Power was abysmal, even when lightly loaded; it took well over 20 seconds to get on plane, and the engine was always lugging - even propped down as far as we could go. A 19 should be powered exactly like a 22. Based on what your dealer is offering, I'd go with a Honda BF75 or BF90 (unless you want twins - then a pair of BF40/50's).

Just curious; are you working with a local dealer? Which dealer is suggesting the Yamaha 60? I can't believe it would be Guenter's, as that's where I bought mine, and they know about the power requirements of the 19 Angler after going through things with me. Must be the new NorCal dealer, eh?

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about Suzuki? They have some good engines and are very quite.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishtales wrote:
how about Suzuki? They have some good engines and are very quite.

This would probably be a great combo, as would the Johnsons. But it wasn't in his dealer's list... Crying or Very sad
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I have a 16' angler. I drove one with a 40hsp w/tabs Honda and it was okay. I got the 50hsp Honda and wow! what a difference. The 16' is rated up to 55hsp and in looking through this sites it seems that powering up nearer the max rating is the norm. I know that power doesn't come cheap but I think that this is one area that you should get what you need and not necessarily what you can afford. I know that when you are out with a heavy load our in water where more power would greatly help loosen your grip on your steering wheel, you would probably wished you had paid the extra for a stronger motor. But to make things worse, now you have to sell your used one before you can buy the right one which will probably cost you more than getting the right one in the first place.

Convince your dealer you want to try several different motors so you can make a more informed decision. This may #@%! him off, but it's your C-Dory. Is there anyone in your area that has a 19' with a different power plant? Your dealer should be able to tell you who he has sold to.

Wow, I guess I had a pretty strong opinion here. Shocked Jon

R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 2003 19' Angler which is powered by a 75hp Honda. Very quiet and we're pleased with its performance. Extremely economical under 4000 rpm's.

Ruth & Joe
R-Matey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: