The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

using a 75 horse with a tiller controlled kicker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat kartch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: using a 75 horse with a tiller controlled kicker Reply with quote

Well today I put in my order for a C-22 through the outlet in Duluth a seven hours drive from my Bismarck home. It will come in around mid April so I have time to work on motor selection etc. I did order the tall top for more head room, open front window and the dark green accent.

I have read what the site says about the twin vs one motor debate. I'm gravitating toward a 75 horse with an 8-15 horse kicker tiller controlled rather than at the helm. Being a fishermen I like the thought of trolling with the smaller motor or using it in an emergency if the big one goes out...in other words having a separate power source if the 75 goes out due to electronics, bad gas or who knows what.

Any comments on this arrangement would be appreciated.

Have a nice day!
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great choice, Pat. When fishing is a big part of one's anticipated use, having the kicker always makes the most sense to me. An 8HP will move you along just fine.

Duluth, eh? Went out on a charter with my wife and folks last year for some of those monster lake trout - here are the results. Bring along your gear when you pick up your new ride - might make for a nice maiden voyage.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat, I went with a 70 and a 15. I'm a big believer in the main/troller setup. If I was to do it over though I would probably go with an 8hp kicker. The 15 will never plain the boat and I think an 8 will get the same terminal speed in "sublight" mode. My 15 trolls great but it's heavier and less fuel efficient. Spendier too! Pete

Gary G

City/Region: Seattle-Ballard
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Poco Loco
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to go wrong either with twins or single engine. I have a 2002 cruiser and we bought a Suzuki 90 and have a 15 kicker.When I bought things weren't selling so well so they gave me a 6 year factory warrenty which so far we haven't used. Just love the 90 with electronic ignition , as it starts like a car, quickly, smoothly and without fail. rarely use the kicker as my 90 will troll just fine out here in Puget Sound off seattle.

For what it is worth, thats my 2 cents worth.

Gary G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: