Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boatingjim

City/Region: New Smyrna Beach
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue Minnow
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Gasoline Odor Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had problems with gasoline odor that won't seem to go away? We have a slight yet constant smell of gas in the tank area under the motor well in our recently purchased 2003 16' Cruiser.
We have replaced the fuel line, the water separator filter, primer bulb, you name it. We have 2 plastic six gallon Honda portable tanks that are tight and in good condition. We recently removed one tank from the boat to re-fill it with gas and noticed that an odor was lingering around the tank even after it had been removed from the boat for over a week. Upon inspecting the tank it seems as though the gas odor is coming from the plastic surface of the tank. Cleaned the tank with acetone and the smell is still on the surface. Is it possible that the surface of the plastic tank is porous and can get contaminated by the gasoline over a period of time?
We are reluctant to purchase similar replacement tanks if the same problem will come back to haunt us! Any thoughts on this would surely be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim and Cindy

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to be overly obvious, but I assume we've closed the
vents on the tank tops? You don't necessarily want to keep those
vents closed though. A tank on another boat of mine is partially
collapsed because it went through a wide temp. change with the
vent closed and not a lot of gas in the tank.

Mike
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim – what smells bad to one person may not be noticable to another person. Do you smell it on both tanks or just one? If it is both, then replace them with a different brand and maybe it will not come back, or use metal tanks.

Mike – I had a tank completely collasp on me. I blew into the fuel connection with a compressor until it was slightly bulged out, the let it set for awhile. Now it is back to normal.
________
Dave
DAVEY5205

City/Region: TACOMA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: HONEY DO LIST
Photos: HONEY DO
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: gas smell Reply with quote

yes we have experenced the same thing with the tank bowed inward dramatically. i drain the tank left it in the hot sun a day or two and back to normal but i never did trust that tank agan. yes we do i notice a slight smell from our tanks whith the camper back all closed up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Gas odor Reply with quote

I had a plastic tank for carrying dink gas. It was full at the end of the season so I put storage stuff in the tank. The smell of the storage liquid never did go away and we discarded the tank. I think that your tank could be the problem.
Fred

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never close the vent anymore. Bad stuff will happen. One time a tempo tank ruptured because it pressurized. Broke right at a seam that circled the tank at the half full line. Another time I had unhooked the hose from the engine and the pressurization forced a spray of gas out the engine end of the hose just like a big atomizer. I was spraying my contemporaries as I was driving down I-5. Had lots of honks and bad looks. Now I am just careful about how full I fill them.
boatingjim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Gas odor Reply with quote

Wow, I see we're not alone! Thank all of you for your feedback.
Our tanks have undergone quite a few temperature swings with the vents closed with the resulting expansion and contraction. It seems as though the plastic that the tanks are made of may be permeable. When subjected to high internal pressure during an expansion cycle the gasoline may be forced into the tank walls where it tends to remain even after the pressure is relieved. I think the best advice is to not close the vent thereby avoiding any internal pressure. I purchased a new tank today which I will keep vented and hopefully avoid this problem in the future!
Thanks again for all your help! This site is fantastic!
Jim and Cindy
boatingjim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
I never close the vent anymore. Bad stuff will happen. One time a tempo tank ruptured because it pressurized. Broke right at a seam that circled the tank at the half full line. Another time I had unhooked the hose from the engine and the pressurization forced a spray of gas out the engine end of the hose just like a big atomizer. I was spraying my contemporaries as I was driving down I-5. Had lots of honks and bad looks. Now I am just careful about how full I fill them.

I will surely avoid you at the gas dock and stay off I-5!
Seriously though, thanks for your help.
I will never close my vents again either, I am convinced that the tank walls were contaminated during a pressure cycle. I guess we're lucky our tanks never ruptured in the Florida sun!
boatingjim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas odor Reply with quote

teflonmom wrote:
I had a plastic tank for carrying dink gas. It was full at the end of the season so I put storage stuff in the tank. The smell of the storage liquid never did go away and we discarded the tank. I think that your tank could be the problem.
Fred

The tanks are history I'm convinced. Odors seem to permeate the plastic material especially under pressure.
boatingjim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: gas smell Reply with quote

DAVEY5205 wrote:
yes we have experenced the same thing with the tank bowed inward dramatically. i drain the tank left it in the hot sun a day or two and back to normal but i never did trust that tank agan. yes we do i notice a slight smell from our tanks whith the camper back all closed up.

I think our tanks are too far gone to dry out. And yes, the odor is really noticeable when closed in. We've considered tying a rope to them and letting them float out behind the boat a hundred feet or so when camping. Kind a figure this may not sit too well with the authorities though!
boatingjim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
Jim – what smells bad to one person may not be noticable to another person. Do you smell it on both tanks or just one? If it is both, then replace them with a different brand and maybe it will not come back, or use metal tanks.

Mike – I had a tank completely collasp on me. I blew into the fuel connection with a compressor until it was slightly bulged out, the let it set for awhile. Now it is back to normal.
________
Dave

we are replacing the tanks! will keep vents open to avoid pressurization which we think caused the problem
boatingjim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeporterinmd wrote:
I don't mean to be overly obvious, but I assume we've closed the
vents on the tank tops? You don't necessarily want to keep those
vents closed though. A tank on another boat of mine is partially
collapsed because it went through a wide temp. change with the
vent closed and not a lot of gas in the tank.

Mike

Yes, the vents were closed all the time except when running. Temp changes and resulting pressurization of the tanks appears to be the problem. We are getting new tanks and keeping them vented!
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have the same problem. Both of my tanks are under the aft seat of my 22' Angler. There is an open screen on the front side of the seat. There is also two vents outside on the aft deck. Both tanks vent outside of the boat below the gunnels.

The problem is that every time I put my cockpit cover with the sides on, when I return to the boat there is a gasoline odor.The tanks and lines have been checked for leaks. I was wondering the same thing. Does plastic fuel tanks cause the problem? I have never had a leak.

I am concerned that I might run a Buddy Heater in the cockpit on a cold day and BOOM, I am gone.

The Carbon Monoxide Alarm shows nothing.

Fred

boatingjim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffheap wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have the same problem. Both of my tanks are under the aft seat of my 22' Angler. There is an open screen on the front side of the seat. There is also two vents outside on the aft deck. Both tanks vent outside of the boat below the gunnels.

The problem is that every time I put my cockpit cover with the sides on, when I return to the boat there is a gasoline odor.The tanks and lines have been checked for leaks. I was wondering the same thing. Does plastic fuel tanks cause the problem? I have never had a leak.

I am concerned that I might run a Buddy Heater in the cockpit on a cold day and BOOM, I am gone.

The Carbon Monoxide Alarm shows nothing.

Fred

Fred,
It has got to be the tanks. Like you we have no leaks at all. We are not vented externally though. I'm not going to store the boat with vents closed any more, that's for sure! We are going to try new tanks and not let them pressurize at all. I am more convinced every day that the plastic material is permeable and absorbs the gas odor, particularly when it is under pressure.
How are things in Hingham? I used to fish lobster traps off Nantasket Beach and Cohasset when I was a kid living in Hull. Spent some time in Falmouth and Sandwich before moving to Florida.
Might want to replace your tanks and avoid the BOOM!
Jim
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I will check with the manufacturer about the tanks. Thanks for the info.

Hingham and Hull are still great places to live. Two grandkids six houses down the street. All family are boaters. I hope to sell the Inn in Nantucket and do my primary boating out of Hingham. Nantucket ihas become to pricy. Have moorings in both places.

Hull has added two very large windmills. The biggest is on the Ware River overlooking a very expensive housing development in Hingham. The train is coming back and about 130 fet behind my house. I shall use it. Big discount when you are over 65. People in Hingham are not to happy. I call it change, and accept it.

I will report back when I have figured out the problem.

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: