View previous topic :: View next topic  
helesh

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Starfish
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Quagga Reply with quote

It's been widely reported but since I have not seen it mentioned on the site I thought I'd pass this along.

The recent discovery of a destructive, exotic mussel in Lake Mead has put California officials on high alert for the invader, which can cause millions of dollars worth of damage to water pipes and foul aquatic ecosystems.

The Jan. 6 find of quagga mussels in Mead signals its western arrival, an event wildlife and water officials have been trying to stave off.

"This is the first infestation in the West. That is one of the concerns and disappointments," said Kent Turner, a National Park Service resource manager at Lake Mead, which is just east of Las Vegas on the Colorado River. "It's a big deal."

Until now the quagga and its equally mischievous and more common close relative, the zebra mussel, have been found primarily east of the Mississippi River, particularly in the Great Lakes. There, their massive colonies have clogged water intake and outfall pipes and altered basic aquatic food webs.

It is assumed the quagga arrived in Mead from the Midwest on a boat, the same way it could hitchhike out of Mead into lakes and rivers in California and other neighboring states.

"We're very concerned," said Susan Ellis, invasive species coordinator for the California Department of Fish and Game, which is working with other agencies to step up boat inspections and inform the public of the threat. "They can cause both environmental and economic problems."

Western states have been on guard against the mussel invasion for years. At Mead there have been several close calls, when zebras were found on out-of-state boats before they were launched into the water.

"Most biologists felt the spread of these mussels across the country would be inevitable," Mr. Turner said.

Native to Eastern Europe, zebra and quagga mussels were first discovered in the United States in the Great Lakes in the late 1980s and quickly established themselves in the region. Zebras have since spread into river drainages in the southern and eastern U.S. and quaggas have been found in the Mississippi River.

Although only quaggas have been so far identified in Mead, park officials say it's possible both types may be in the lake, which is North America's biggest reservoir and a popular boating destination for visitors from throughout the country.

As the article indicates Lake Powell is currently believed to be clean but with the proximity and the number of boats that regularly use both lakes you have to believe it's a matter of time.

Les
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what we supposed to do ??? wash down with chlorine when we pull out ?? When I was in the Gulf I noticed my boat's bottom got lots of tiny mussels encrusted on the bottom.... hull cleaner did the job on them.. I usually just do a fresh water wash. ....darn first it was the killer bees then the Fire ants....now the mussels...what's next ??? trout fleas ?
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the mussels have spread from the East coast thru to Central USA, university extension services have posted bulletins about what to do to avoid spreading them any faster. Our local Ag univ. is Kansas State University. You can search that , then pick "Extension services" and click on the Zebra mussel topic.

I am certain your individual areas have this same service , along with the local Fish and Wildlife service.

My current understanding is that you have to

1- remove all vegetation, debris, mud from your boat at each lake.

2- flush engines at each lake, and drain bilges at each lake

3- don't go from one lake to another without a 3-5 day drying out period.

4- some other things..... where's Roger from Sea DNA when you need him?

My understanding of the Zebra mussels is that salt water kills them.
Some of our local lakes have the Zebra mussels, but they flourish in some and don't seem to be a big problem on others. Some ppl feel that the salinity of the lake does that. Some feel that the fertilizer run off is having an effect similar to salt.

John
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good... The 3 to 5 drying out period is probably the most effective....I doubt most folks spend lots of time scrubbing the bottom...other than C-Dory owners that is.... I like to use bottom cleaner that gets all the scum off...probably straight bleach would do as well..
I have never done anything other than a fresh water flush on my motors...

Joel
SEA3PO
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think they are transmitted by the 'larval' stage or whatever name describes the tiny, fragile, shell less, "baby" mussels. They are susceptible to drying. You don't need chemicals, but salt kills the zebra mussel larva per local midwestern advisors. I don't know about that other kind of mussel.

They accumulate preferentially where water is flowing, like in thru-hulls and water outlets at dams.

John
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it.......Helesh Les, you folks are very fortunate to live and work in a very special place, I hope folks keep their bottoms clean and it manages to stay special
helesh

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Starfish
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken
Thanks for the good thoughts.
Yeah, 26 years guiding in Grand Canyon and Lake Powell will spoil a person. All coming to an end soon! Too old and slow to keep up with the kids. We'll be moving to your corner of the world (Bellingham) in the next year or so.
John, the term I heard them use for the larval stage is "villagers"

Les
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Powell has had the following policy for the last several years:

"If your vessel has been in zebra mussel infected waters within the last 30 days, it is illegal to launch your vessel at Lake Powell until it has been steam pressure washed. This wash is provided free of charge by trained personal at Wahweap and Bullfrog. Inform the rangers at any fee booth or visitor center and they will arrange for you to receive your voucher to have your boat washed. Our conssesioner, Aramark, provides this vital service."

Since our C Dory was documented from Florida, I had to give proof each time we launched that we had not been in Eastern Waters at each time I entered the park. This was not required at Lake Mead.

The Zebra Mussle and similar are fresh water mussles, not salt water variety and not barnicles which grow on may of our boats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jcordell

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1983
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: quagga mussel article in Science Reply with quote

Folks:

Here is a just-published article in Science magazine about the quagga mussel. I have heard it described as a zebra mussel with an "attitude" and the zebra mussel's "big brother" (they are both in the same genus).

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/315/5811/453

Jeff Cordell
Research Scientist
School of Aquatic/Fishery Sciences
University of Washington
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
The article appears to be restricted to subscribers to Science. What are the chances of erradication of these mussles.

One of the problem areas is not just the hull, which usuually will be dry enough to prevent colinization after a trip across country, but any bilge water. I have noticed that many boats will have a small amount of bilge water, then when they are on a ramp, and pull the plug, this water runs out of the boat. Steam cleaning, drying etc would not stop this route of spread.

Is there a preventative which one could put in the bilge to be sure that all mussle larvae are killed ?

I see the implications not only to boaters but to the power plants and water pumping stations--plugging up intakes, causing temperatures to rise in the pumps etc.

Bob Austin
jcordell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob:

Sorry about lack of access to the Science article. I think I sent the message from the UW, and the journal site must have recognized the IP number as a subscriber or something. I can't access it either from my home computer.

You are correct that the bilge water in boats is an additional vector for the spread of non-indigenous organisms. A few days out of water would kill the shelled from on the boat hull. However, a lot of invasives have aquatic resting stages that are quite resistant to harsh environmental conditions and could conceivably remain viable in bilge water for months.

I have been working on invasive plankton (like the larvae of the mussels) here in the Pacific Northwest. One recent finding is that a species of Asian copepod (planktonic crustacean) has moved from the Columbia River estuary past the first five dams on the river into the Snake River in Idaho! One possible vector is the upstream movement of water in recreational vessels, but it is more likely due to water moved in grain barges, which move up and down the river in large numbers.

On the eradication question, unfortunately the record is abysmal. The only possible chance for stopping an invasion in the aquatic environment is at the very beginning, when it is extremely localized. I can't think of a single successful eradication effort, once the organism has become established and reproduces. Prevention is key. A small amount of bleach splashed into the bilge would do the trick. In fact, one of the more promising treatments on the table for commercial vessels is an electrochemical chlorine treatment system that manufactures chlorine from the seawater and injects it as the ship is taking on ballast.

Jeff

Jeff Cordell
Research Scientist
School of Aquatic/Fishery Sciences
University of Washington
Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought...

Is it important to wash off the boat trailer too? It goes into the drink every time your boat does.

Pat
jcordell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat:

The trailer would not be an issue for the mussels, because it is probably not immersed long enough for juvenile mussels to settle on it, and it doesn't hold water like a boat's bilge. However, trailers are are a problem for spreading aquatic weeds like milfoil, but those can be detetected by visual inspection. So, I wouldn't worry about trailer wash-down, except perhaps in the event that it would be transferred immediately to another body of water without time to dry out.

Jeff
Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Thanks for clearing that one up.
Pat
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
<stuff clipped>
4- some other things..... where's Roger from Sea DNA when you need him?

John

I hadn't kept up with this thread but don't really know anything (other than what I read in this thread) about quagga. Fortunately, Jeff Cordell does. That's the beauty of the brats there's somebody here who knows something about most everything.

and 5 times that many people with an opinion about the topic...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: