View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Seeking Answers at the Baltimore Boat Show Reply with quote

Been looking forward to the Baltimore Boat Show to meet up with my local C-Dory Dealer (Cutter) and Buster's Marine, who I purchased a Mercury 270 Air Floor from; looking to solve the short shaft/long shaft debacle-using one motor for both. I had cash in hand to purchase; either a Honda 5 HP or a Nissan/Mercury/Tohatsu 6 HP. Just looking for mounting recommendations. You guys have been great answering questions and suggesting solutions.

Needless to say I walked away empty handed. I will admit that the most amiable and supportive individuals at the show (for me) was Buster's Marine. My inflatable arrived (although 1 week late - Fed Ex's fault), Buster's seemed genuinely concerned and helpful. They even contacted me at home to make sure my boat arrived and will file a claim on my behalf to demand Fed Ex refund the shipping. (A whole other story).

I admit that I am a novice to boating, and I greatfully appreciate everyone's opinion. Buster's went so far as to offer to sell me a 20" shaft Mercury to try for my situtation. If it did not work, I could send it back to them and they would convert it to a short shaft. The only cost would be shipping. I think the offer was terrific. But I don't want the headache or expense.

Cutter was of little help. Let's leave it at that. If I do buy a Honda 5HP, it will be somewhere else. I will use them for warranty work for the C-Dory and that's it.

The bright spot of the Show was being able to see a TC255 in person. Sweet. Way out of my price league, but it is nice. Also saw a Rosebourogh Trawler (Cutter). Very nice. Still out of my league.

But I am still on the Quest - buy the 15" shaft to fit the inflatable and search for a bracket to mount it on the 22 as a kicker, or buy the 20" shaft and deal with it on the inflatable.

Anyone out there use a 15" shaft with an adjustable motor mount on their Dory?

John
Swee Pea
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both 15" and 20" on small boats for a kicker--and the dinghy motor. The 20" shaft on the inflatble is a bit of a pain, expecially if you want to go in shoal water--but managiable. However it will a bit more difficult to plane, if you are able to plane with the 5 hp (probably not).

Too bad that you didn't have a good experience with the C Dory dealer--definately the factory needs to know about that--you need to call Jeff M or at the very least E mail them and explain the problem. I would think that a person who already owns a boat--and especially one who purchased one form them would be given good service. I wonder if the dealer just doesn't have any experience--or you dealt with a salesperson--maybe better if you deal with the owner.

For the kicker, it is a little better to use the long shaft. I have used both on the 22 C dory. The long shaft gives you better access to the contols and starting.

I use an adjustable mount on the side of the transom, rather than the transom mount for a kicker. This way, you can get the kicker up and out of the water, so there is no spray. I am not sure you can do this with the kicker on the transom--it may depend on the brand. I have also found that with the kicker on the accessory mount, it is easier to transfer it to the inflatable.

Good luck.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Cutter one time about kickers and they said they had never sold a C-Dory
with a kicker...probably why they weren't able to help.

Kickers don't seem to be as common on the Chesapeake as they are elsewhere.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: