View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: VHF channel question Reply with quote

I was doing some winter reading and planning, for a couple weekend trips to the SJ's, and came across some instructions to use a vhf channel with an A in it. For example channel 66A to contact a marina. I have never seen this function on my VHF. I have a model that is only about two years old. Am I missing something? I'm feeling pretty silly right now. How do you switch to an "A" channel? Thanks for any help. It's a west Marine model radio.

Sark
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think...therefore I may be wrong, Smile that the "A" simply refers to "American" and is in use up here in the PNW. The official USCG website, http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/vhf.htm, describes 66A as being for "port operations". When you go to 66 on your radio you are on 66A.
Notayot

C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us here in the United States it usually doesn't mean a thing. For instance in USA mode on your radio the Coast Guard uses 22A to talk and listen. It is actually a single frequency used in USA mode that is half of a pair of frequencies assigned to channel 22. In other modes, (international or Canada) both frequencies may be used. So being in USA mode usually forces your radio to use the single frequency. In the back of your radio instruction book or in other books you will find the full listing of all frequencies and their uses.

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VHF usually has three channel lineup selections --that of United States, Canada, & International. Some places you must be sure that you have the correct mode set up. There are significant differences between US and Canada, so be sure you switch--or understand what channel mode you need to be in.

International 66: ship station: 156.325 mhz shore station 160.925 mhz duplex channel

Canadian and US mode designated by an A (Alpha--not American) on 66 uses only 156. 325 mhz simplex channel.

22 is the same way: 157.100mhz duplex 161.700 mhz--international
157.100 simplex in the A version which is CG communication.

In the US mode you have 1, 5 7,18, 19, 21, 22,23, 65, 66, 78, 79, 80,81, 82, 83 and 88 are all "A" or ship simplex frequency.

Therea are also many channels which are duplex in both US, Canadian and International mode.

It is helpful to download--or as suggested have the manual--for the various frequencies and keep this aboard.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this LINK

And you can see all the channels, their use and frequencies. Lots of other neat stuff on that site too. Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Especially since the book is for american waters, it's for the sound and San Juan's. And I swear it stated to use 66A not 66 specifically. I was looking in my manual for the VHF while I was out and came to the same conclusion about canada or international. Thanksfor the help.

Sark
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you are on the US channel mode, the 66 will be 66A. I just checked a hand held VHF. The West marine didn't show 66A when in US mode, it just showed 66. The Icom showed a change from 66A to 66 when changed from US to international mode. It is quite likely that you have the same type of response on your West Marine set.

The difference is in reception--On 66A both the ship and shore are on the same frequency. In 66 international--the coastal station will transmit on a different frequency--and you will not hear it because you are recieving on the same frequency you transmitted on.

Bob Austin
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie – the web page you linked to is a good reference site for the VHF radio frequencies. I copied them to an Excel spreadsheet and printed it, to keep in my boat for easy reference. Now I see they have an Excel link and text link for easy printing.
________
Dave
ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: What VHF Channels Should I be monitoring? Reply with quote

Relative to absolute newbie here..... as a new boater, I am slowly trying to figure out how to do things.

Our ICOM VHF radio has a feature called Priority Scan which enables it to scan all "TAG" selected channels in addition to monitoring Channel 16.

What channels should I normally be listening to for cruising the waters of the Puget Sound? I saw the link to the USCG VHF channels but would prefer to designate just a few of the more likely used channels in addition to # 16.

I see a list in the Waggoner's Guide for U.S. and British Columbia waters which comprise perhaps a total of 20 channels including the following:

Would this be the optimal channels to be monitoring in this area?

Appreciate the input and verification of what I am seeing in Waggoner's.

Tanks,
Dan
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark-I'm glad you asked because lI have often wondered why the Coast Guard always sends listeners from 16 to 22alpha for Pon-pons.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Your scan will automatically include channel 16. If you're below Bush Point on Whidbey Island, include ch. 14 for vessell traffic activity. Above Bush Point and into the Straits, add Ch. 5 for that vessell traffic area. Nice to know where the big ships are relative to your location.

If you're cruising with the Brats or other friends, add the mutually agreed upon ch. for their messages, usually 68, 69 or 72. This should be enough radio traffic to keep up with as you get used to the VHF. Later you can add channels of interest like Coast Guard (22a), Marinas(66a) and commercial bridge to bridge (13).

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan Pan is a distress signal of urgency--not threat to life or loss of the vessel at that point (reserved for May Day).
Pan pronounced "pawn" and a contraction of the French "panne"--meaning breakdown. (Also acronym for "Possiable Assistance Needed". The reason that traffic is routed to 22A from 16 is that this leaves 16 clear for its purpose of "hailing and distress".

I personally prefer to have two radios--or at least one radio full time on channel 16, and perhaps another scanning--the second radio (not that on 16) could be a hand held--but a fixed radio is better. The more channels you scan, the more likely you are to miss an urgent call or more important call.

I agree with Roger's choice of frequencies for traffic schemes. Various marinas use different channels (not all are on 66A--although there is a push to make this the general practice in this area.

What channels you moniter depend on where you are--for example down on the ICW I moniter 16, and 13 at all times, since many tugs will be giving position on 13.
When in the PNW, I would be more likely to moniter channel which is the traffic separation of that area, and bridge to bridge communication channel, plus the channel picked by other boats I was cruising with.
ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input gentlemen.

I greatly appreciate the words of wisdom from those far more knowledgable then I am.

Take care,
Dan
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Pan Pan is a distress signal of urgency--not threat to life or loss of the vessel at that point (reserved for May Day).

Hi regarding my post, I do know what a Pan Pan is, but I didn't know what the "alpha" after 22 meant. It has sometimes seemed curious to me that often when the Coast Guard goes to 22alpha for a PanPan they caution that no one at the Coast Guard radio room is monitoring 16 during that time. Perhaps I just don't understand their message.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm--not sure what CG radio room you have been dealing with, but the several I have been involved with have several radios--and stand watch on 16, even if they have a radio conversation going on 22A. The 22 A corresponds to the simplex use of channel 22 Ship transmit frequency--or 157.100 MHz--(The international use of channel 22 has ship transmit at 157.100, and Coast station transmit of 161.700 (duplex mode)

The CG addresses this thus:
"Note that the letter "A" indicates simplex use of the ship station transmit side of an international duplex channel, and that operations are different than international operations on that channel. Some VHF transceivers are equipped with an "International - U.S." switch for that purpose. "A" channels are generally only used in the United States, and use is normally not recognized or allowed outside the U.S. The letter "B" indicates simplex use of the coast station transmit side of an international duplex channel. The U.S. does not currently use "B" channels for simplex communications in this band."

I was involved in a "rescue" this summer, involving CG station Port Angeles--and they were doing most the corresponding with the vessel which was in distress on the cell phone--partly because that vessel only had a hand held vhf--which required relay to the CG station.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: