The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-22 Single or Dual Engines?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't plan on putting heavy hours trolling below 3knts then by all means get twins. However it makes no sense to me to put hundreds of hours trolling on big expensive engines. I do put far more hours on the kicker than the main.

If you do true offshore fishing and not just nearshore stuff your best safety measure is to have a running mate. If your 30-40 miles offhsore it's nice to know that you have someone else within a few miles in case of trouble. You can plan to the n'th degree for one problem and find out that there are endless issues that you can't possible be prepared for. When offhsore the buddy system works best in my opinion.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ken, I understand that using a kicker alot for trolling will keep it in good condition and ready for emergencies... the article was mainly aiming at ppl who rarely use their kicker until an emergency, I think.

My current 'kicker' is 150 hp.... we TomCatters don't have much option, but I generally prefer having two larger engines than one large and one small. I can see how the weight, economy, space, etc., can play deciding roles in all this.

John
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Bill. We haven't hit too many whales here in Kansas lately, though.... JJ
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or climbed many mountains, either!

drjohn71a wrote:
Good point, Bill. We haven't hit too many whales here in Kansas lately, though.... JJ

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have you all know that there is a genuine, real, HILL in Wichita, KS. They put a big rock "W" on it so you can tell it's there! Prob' to keep the airplanes from hitting it?

John
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really like our twin Honda 40 set up, but if were to refit or purchase new it would still be a tough decision with all the pros and cons of each.

The deciding factor for us would be if we could plane on one motor on a new twin set up. Presently we can't on the Honda 40's. Will the twin 50's plane on one motor? I have wondered how twin E Tec 60's would work. If we had to refit now that would be high in the consideration. I imagine the answer to the above would have a lot to do with prop choice.

Jay

smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have twin 40's on my CD22 Cruiser. They're never even coughed in 600 hours, so if I had to do it over again, I might go for a single 90, though the twin 40s make it go plenty fast enough. My nieces and nephews and I regularly waterski behind my CD22.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not totally related - how do the engine weights of the Etec and Honda measure up? Are the 2 cycles much lighter? I was wondering how much weight a guy could save on a TomCat by using 150hp Etecs over Hondas or other 4 cycle brands.

Also, what is the weight savings by Main and kicker vs. dual outboards? And what weight savings by going 2 cycle Etec over 4 cycle?

John
Bill3558

City/Region: RIchmond Hill, Georgia
State or Province: GA
Vessel Name: Pluto
Photos: Pluto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input. You have given me a lot to think about.

One thing I dont understand completly is the way auxillary motors are set up. Are they mechanically attached to the large engine for steering? That seems like it would be difficult but I guess thats what dealers get paid for. Also if they are electric start that means a whole other set of throttle and electrical controls. Is that a typical set up?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Ask me about sailboats and I have the answers, but I am getting old and transitioning to power is new to me.

I am looking close at a C22 with a 115 Suzuki. Same weight as the 90hp, so why not have some power in reserve. I was thinking I might prefer a Yamaha but I'm hearing stuff like the Suzuki has more torque and spins a bigger prop. I guess thats a good thing.

Thanks again....
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 single or dual engines Reply with quote

Alasgun wrote:

I also think some definition to "off shore" is in order. How many of you actually take this boat to a point where you can no longer see land? Here in Alaska it is common to be out 75 miles or better but land is usually no more than 10 miles away. That kicker will save your trip and possibly you bacon with out the added expense. Your dealer is right about the reliability, take his word for it.
Mike on Huda Thunkit

I'm pretty regularily 20-25 miles west/ SW of Tatoosh island (the far NW corner of the contiguous US). I usually pick my days for fairly calm water but things can change in a hurry. I like my twins. I wouldn't quite as gutsy with a single and a small kicker and wouldn't even consider fishing out there with a single and no kicker. Maybe it's the boyscout "Be prepared thing".....

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill3558 wrote:
One thing I dont understand completly is the way auxillary motors are set up. Are they mechanically attached to the large engine for steering? That seems like it would be difficult but I guess thats what dealers get paid for. Also if they are electric start that means a whole other set of throttle and electrical controls. Is that a typical set up?

I have twin 150 Yamahas on my Tom Cat but on my previous boat (a 22' aluminum open Hewescraft) I had 130 and 9.9 Hondas. I could attach a device called an EZ-Steer which made the 9.9 turn in tandem with the 130. I also had an autopilot of sorts, called a TR-1 Gold, which allowed me to steer and control the throttle with a remote control.

You can also set up your kicker with an automatic lift, electric starter, and/or a separate set of engine controls. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Incidentally, the reason I went from Honda to Yamaha was that the Tom Cat dealer did not sell Hondas and gave me an excellent price on the Yammies.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the classic Honda 8 which has none of the frills. But what I like about not having frills is it's lighter and since you always pull start it you basically have a little generator to charge the batteries should the need arise.
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kicker is handy if you lose your steering. Sad
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Will the twin 50's plane on one motor? Jay

I've tried, but unfortunately.........no. (I have the twin Johnson 50's, which are Suzukis with a Johnson cover).

C-Brat #16
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best chance to get a CD-22 to plane on one engine out of a pair of twins would be with a paior of Evinrude etech 60's.

If I'm not mistaken, we were told once in discussing this a few years ago that the CD-22 would plane on one 60 hp engine out of a pair.

The etech engine, at 240 lbs, is also very (comparatively) light, which is part of the plane/no plane equation.

The engine not running has to be raised up out of the water to eliminate drag, of course.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: