The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Permatrims

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Devlin

City/Region: Manhasset
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: goose
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Permatrims Reply with quote

Keep seeing this word used!! What exactly are they
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand name for nice hydrofoil from New Zealand. Many previous threads is correct.

Mark

sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,
Its an horizontal fin made of metal or plastic attached to the lower unit on an outboard that assists the boat to come on plane faster. If you Google it I'm sure you will find more information.

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture this on your cavitation plate....

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what it looks like on the engine, however this one is a home made version of the Permatrim. By far, the best addition to my boat so far.

________
Dave
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a url for the permatrim web site
http://permatrimmarine.co.nz/
and this is the url for the USA distributer
http://www.shipyardisland.com

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my new Permatrim for a spin and it's everything you all said it was. If anyone wants my old hydrofoil, just PM me. It's free. If you're in the Seattle area you can pick it up. If not Ill send it to you. I'll try to post a picture in the Lizzie album.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
DC45

City/Region: Eagle River, Alaska
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: PERMATRIM is the Answer to many many questions/problems !!! Reply with quote

Back in Feb of 2007 I bought a "Permatrim" from Shipyard Island Marina, Inc. for my 19ft 2004 C-Dory Angler; equipped with a Honda BF90. I spent hours researching a solution on this web-site and others, on how to correct some handling (porposing) problems I was having. Please keep in mind, I knew when I bought this boat, it was not-nor-never was designed to be a "speed-boat" by far, but I ave had allot of boating experience in my years, and I knew it could operate safely at a much high speed then C-Dory claimed it would.

-As I promised, I would give all you some feedback on the results after installing this product to inform you if it helped correct the situation I was experiencing.

-My feedback to you is as follows; The Permatrim product I installed on my boat, not only corrected the awkward rear slide action in less than ideal water situations, it has changed the handle on the vessel completely. I could swear I would never have known it was the same boat. I still do not fully understand how something so simple in design and size could make such a huge difference. I have been a boat owner/operator for 25 plus years, have owned several different boat types, never have I made such a simple upgrade that would make such a huge difference. The installation instructions provided (.pdf format) by Shipyard Island Marina, Inc. were spot-on, easy to read and easy to do. Total install time was about 15 minutes. A special Thank you to Mr. Andrew J. Munao, Jr. (Shipyard Island Marina, Inc.) for his help and advice on the entire subject.

-The boat now handles like it is supposed to, it planes quickly and responds to steering like a sports car. I even got into some very nasty water conditions (4-5 ft swells, cross wind and confused current), these conditions occur at times in Prince William Sound Alaska around heavy island structure. In the past, before the Permatrim, I would have to slow roll the boat down to about 10 kts, and lumber through it for safety and comfort. With the Permatrim installed, the boat tracked true and safe, and I was able to operate at a safe speed of 20-22 kts.

-One other note to pass along, the boat came equipped with two Bennet Hyd Trim Tabs, before the Permatrim was installed, I had to keep them in the FULL down position at all times, now I can run them in a neutral position and use them for their intended purpose.

-It is worth twice the price I paid. Please use this testament to any other C-Dory customers, that this product will improve their boat handling, even if they don't have a real problem to speak of.

- One Last note: prior to the Permatrim I ran a 3-Blade; 15 pitch prop, I kept a 3-Blade 17 pitch prop as a spare. The Permatrim's new balance allowed almost a 300 RPM gain on the top end with the 15 pitch prop. I swapped over to a 4-blade; 15 pitch prop and now I tach-out 5900/6100 RPM (WOT) which gave me a 7 knot gain on the top end (that’s a BIG gain in this little boat). Last weekend I bought a 17 pitch-4 Blade prop to tone it down a bit, I can't wait to try it out. I am overly pleased with this product. If you have any other questions about this product I can try to answer, please contact me. www.arcticfusion.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: