View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: wood a working question Reply with quote

I am in the middle of redoing the wood from my dads 13 boston whaler. I have removed all the old varnish and have stained the wood a darker color. I have bought product called "bristal finish" Its a two part acrylic urethane. So heres my question. I have disassembled the helm in to 4 pieces. Should i varnish each eices whille its apart or wait until its together. The helm is held together with screws that are covered with wood plugs. Any help would be great. I hope to have this together this weekend.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom - I am assuming you are speaking of the wooden pedestal or "box" from which the steering wheel and gauges emerge. If the wood fits loose enough to allow room for assembly after a layer of sealant/varnish is applied, then it would be best to varnish them before assembly. Many wood assemblies, however do not have enough tolerance built in to the wood fit to allow the extra thickness of a varnish prior to assembly.

The final project will look better and last longer if the individual pieces can be varnished prior to assembly.

Just my opinion... if too tight, you might not be able to get it all together after sealing without sanding, etc..

Oh oh... forgot to add that, if you want to glue the pieces together, then no varnish or oil prior to assembly.

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with John. If you leave the wood non varnished/sealed, and then put the urethane on it, there is a good chance that the urethane will crack as it works at the joints. Since this would not be sealed, the urethane would tend to lift as moisture got under it. You want all parts of the project sealed if possiable.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have redone several 13 Footers and a 22 Whaler over the years and Bristol Finish is a great product. Please O'pretty Please...do not rush the job.....Mix the product very carefully and follow directions to the letter. Your reward will be a beautiful job. Four to Five coats recommended ....for a lasting finish that won't need to be touched for several years.

=====
PS: If that old wood came with the Whaler it is Mahogany and worth the time and effort you are putting into the project.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke

Last edited by Papillon on Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like i will need to assemble the two larger pieces. the helm, 4 or 5 , and the seats are another 4 or 5. I can do this without installing them in the boat its self. All the other pieces are singles. Any opinon on the bristal finish products? Any one use them before.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom - you're wasting your time with that old wood. You gotta go plastic.
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If god had meant us to build fiberglass boats he would have made fiberglass trees"

My first sailing yacht was mahogany on oak built by Hinckley in Maine in 1946. While I like my CD 25 there is nothing that can equal the feel or beauty of a wooden boat. When people used to work for a living it was easy to get workers to do the work. These days workers tend to be lazy and forget that the aesthetics are just as important as the function.

Regarding your question on the finishing procedure: do both, put some finish on the wood before assembly and then put 2-3 coats on after assembly.

The beauty of the wood will beat the plastic anyday!

Pete in NY
TyBoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete in NY wrote:
"If god had meant us to build fiberglass boats he would have made fiberglass trees"

Good one, Pete. My comment was TIC (smart-alecky, really), as is plainly evidenced in some other thread from some other time but we sure don't want to go back there now.
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo,
I finally gave up my passion for wood boats when I realized I was spending more time varnishing and painting than on the water. (duh!) As I got older I also got laziyer. I finally gave up wood and sailing and love my now classic, Decraguard interior CD 25.
My only regret is that there's 3,000 miles to move my boat for a genuine northwest C-Brat gathering. Then again, you never know when I might show up. In the meantime, I'm debating whether to paint or revarnish my 13 foot 1989 whaler.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Put down the stick and step back from the pot....

This rework of the wood is a learning experience. i will never get the wood to look the way it should. There is to much sun damage and i would have to sand down to much to get pass it. I choose to stain it dark to try and even it out but its not that good of a match. It has to be back together soon as my folks are coming back up for the boat show. The last owner re varnished with out sanding for years then let it go more then a few years until a lot of the varnish was gone and the wood was water and sun damaged. My dad choose the bristol two-part because it's harder and more uv protection. Hopefully I won't have to do this again for a while. Next project, and the ten after that , is on my boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there are many species of Mahogany--Really good Honduras Mahagony is difficult to find today. Unfortunately Mahogany stains easily and does not "weather" well like teak (which is very oily). You might try bleaching the wood before staining, but often stains are so deep that they do not easily bleach out (oxylic acid). (There are also chlorine based bleaches and two part sodium hydroxide based bleaches) Try bleach on the bottom or non showing surface to be sure it will be of value and not make it worse. Also there may be some filler/stain on the mahogany which probably should be removed before restaining with a pigmented stain.

There are a number of people who have felt that Bristol is a good finish. Just don't get water under the cured finish and allow it to lift. I kept going back to varnish, because it was fairly easy to repair (not as easy as Cetol).

I grew up on wooden boats--and then owned a couple myself--before I realized I prefer boating to working on boats. I have avoided varnish after owning a boat which took a full week's work every two months to keep the varnish up. Sure glad that some people have the love to keep up wooden boats and varnish! But C Doryies are ideal for me because of the lack of varnish/wood.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete in NY wrote:
<stuff clipped>

The beauty of the wood will beat the plastic anyday!

And then..
Pete in NY wrote:

I finally gave up my passion for wood boats when I realized I was spending more time varnishing and painting than on the water.

Using instead of sanding and varnishing .... THAT's the real beauty of plastic and fiberglass and wood looks pretty ugly to me when I see it in those terms... Wink

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To late stained it yesterday. i have a plan now its just getting it done and the time.

the big problem is the weather. I have taped and plastic sheeted of a part of the formal living room to do the varnish in. to cold in the garage for the bristal to set so I have to do it in the house. dont tell susan......
TyBoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom - you're a goner. Even if you don't screw up your dad's wood, you will get caught for doing it in the house. Your best hope is for your dad and Susan to unload on you at the same time - then it will be swift and less painful. Too bad, we'll miss you at the SBS.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, You know women can smell one molecule of anything having to do with oil, grease, paint, varnish, perfume, beer, any alcohol, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, pool rooms, sawdust, gas, diesel, motorcycles, and basically any normal, fun, male persuit!

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: