The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New to the forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kolive

City/Region: Cowiche
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: New to the forum Reply with quote

Hello,

We are new to the forum and really like the dialogue going on here, helpful with a good mix of humor and useful answers.

My wife and I have been looking at trawlers now for almost 2 years trying to find the right one. They all have just seemed to fall a little short for what we wanted. Well, we were at the Portland boat show saturday and met a couple that talked to us about their C-Dory 22 and suggested we check out this web site. To make a short story long, WOW! After reading numerous posts and stories off the C-Dory site it seems like we might be on the trail of our next boat, a C-Dory. We currently have a 19' Starcraft Islander and want something a more suitable for the cruising we like.

Now we "have" to go to the Seattle Boat show and go aboard the C-Dory's there. Does anyone know if there will be any afloat at Lake Union for viewing? Will there be anyone from this group there with their boat to really talk with about the cruising aspect of the boat? It would really be nice to talk with an owner on their boat to truly get a good picture of how someone else does this.

We live on the East side of the mountains near Yakima. The trailerability of the cruiser has a HUGE impact on us and we have been talking about this boat now for two days straight and looking online most likely too much for our good health.

We'll be at the show the first weekend and hang out at the booth and hope to talk with owners and sales staff.

Keith & Katie in Cowiche, WA
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum Reply with quote

kolive wrote:
<stuff clipped>
Now we "have" to go to the Seattle Boat show and go aboard the C-Dory's there. Does anyone know if there will be any afloat at Lake Union for viewing? Will there be anyone from this group there with their boat to really talk with about the cruising aspect of the boat? <more stuff clipped>

There will be LOTS of people from this group at the boat show and if you run into ANY of us, you'll probably wish we would stop talking about our boats at some point... Come by the SBS show, we'll talk your ear off and you can probably find someone to give you a ride too!

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolive – Welcome to the site. You have come to the right place to talk about C-Dory’s. You should plan on staying here Saturday and go to the C-Dory factory party that evening. There is a SeaRay dealer on Lake Union with C-Dorys and I bet you could test one out there.
________
Dave
kolive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be staying on Vashon Island with friends and then coming to the show. When is the factory doing a tour? Is it for owners already or for others as well. I don't want to barge in on aything for the owners.

Keith
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't do it!!!! everyone that goes for a test ride during a bot show buys a c-dory. If i take you out for a ride during the boat show its all over. Iam 3 for 3 for rides that end in bought boats. You will assimilate....
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Keith and Katie,

We did just what you are talking about at last year's SBS... and became proud owners of a C-Dory. The kind folks here have been most gracious about sharing their thoughts and feelings about these boats. BTW, the cruising is mighty fine aboard our C-Dory. Thumbs Up

We will be heading for the other corner of the country, so will miss the SBS... have a great time there and enjoy meeting a great bunch of owners.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith - The factory tour/dinner/convention is for C-Brats or soon to be C-Brats - even those who do not yet know they about to become C-Brats. You really need to make time for it. You are aboslutely not going to believe these people. We are not alike and have vastly different lifestyles, but we all share the same pace of life and goodness of heart that makes this group truly unique on the water and in the world. The many folks here are an unimaginable bonus to the fantastic boat you will be getting. There is no way to really explain it.

We all look forward to meeting you and Katie. Welcome to our Pub and welcome to our dock.

Mike

Last edited by TyBoo on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith - you asked when the tour is - it's Sat. night. Go to the even signups link at the top of the page and view the link associated with the boat show. There's also a party on the Fri. night at Hawthorne Suites about 10-15miles from the boat show and perhaps a tour of a brewery run by a couple of brats. Also, a cruise on the locks on Argosy that you could sign up for. We could monopolize your whole dang weekend if you let us.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy Roger is telling ya the truth.... get us going and yer done.. we'all love our boats.... I was also looking at trawlers, actually was in the process of buying a Nordic Tug when I looked at a C-Dory... I still love the Nordic Tug, but it had so many limitations and the C-Dory just had so many possibilitys... we made the correct decision...and love it.

I originally wanted a 25 cruiser, but my wife talked me into buying a 22' cruiser and said if I wanted a 25 in two years we could trade up.... never did...I found I love the mobility of the 22'

Hope to see you at the show... (I am easy to spot)

Joel
SEA3PO
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep -- Joel will be wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a big smile -- easy to spot. Join in on as many of the gatherings at the boat show possible -- you'll get an earful -- and meet some of the nicest folks on the water -- whether or not you decide on a C-Dory.
kolive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. El and Bill are you going to be there for the show? We'd love to talk with you, we are teachers and are ready to develop our plan to retire and go.

We'll figure out when we can be and where and let you know what our plans our. I was wondering about the difference in the 22 & 25' models for cruising. I have not heard much from the 25' owners. I tried to lay down in a 22 at the Portland show but the berth was to short, I am 6'2". Is the 25 berth longer or maybe someone has something to help me figure this one out.

Keith
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolive wrote:
Thanks for the replies. El and Bill are you going to be there for the show? We'd love to talk with you, we are teachers and are ready to develop our plan to retire and go.

We'll figure out when we can be and where and let you know what our plans our. I was wondering about the difference in the 22 & 25' models for cruising. I have not heard much from the 25' owners. I tried to lay down in a 22 at the Portland show but the berth was to short, I am 6'2". Is the 25 berth longer or maybe someone has something to help me figure this one out.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Here's from a 25 owner. Bill and El tell us to KEEP IT SIMPLE. I told Joan about their "three outfit" cruising style... she chuckled. We went to the SBS last year to buy a 22; I was absolutely sold on it before I saw it. Seeing the 22 and 25 side by side is a good way to make the decision. We feel the 25 is a lot more than "3 feet and a $30k head"; the added volume inside makes the boat that much more livable for extended cruising. As does the hot and cold pressure water. And the fridge. And bigger cockpit. The aisle is big enough for two people to pass (due to the extra beam of the 25). Comfort is more than seats and a berth - everyone requires a different amount of personal space, and the 25 gives us more of that than the 22. We will probably see over 180 nights aboard for 2007; I will do everything possible to make sure we both enjoy that time... and that includes making the living space as comfortable as possible. Some folks can camp for a couple weeks at a time; some need to hit a hotel. The hot water, shower, enclosed head, and other amenities and space of the 25 take this out of the "camping" realm for us. Others will tell you how the 22 is a perfect fit for them. When it comes time to put your name on the order sheet, you get to make that decision.

And, a thought about the v-berth. I am 5'10" and fit comfortably in ours. The 22 and 25 are similar in length for the v-berth; but again, the 25 has more beam. Think: diagonal; instead of directly fore/aft, the diagonal will give you more length and foot-room. Perhaps more info than you need, but I am a belly-sleeper and need toe-room at my feet and arm-room above my head. This is one place to not scrimp, 'cause you will spend (hopefully) 1/3 of your time aboard in that berth. Spend plenty of time in that berth so you know you can get comfortable before you plunk your money down.

Other thoughts (frequently discussed here): the 25 will use more fuel and require more of a tow vehicle.

Bill and El's adventures certainly influenced us on the decision to get this boat. We all admire what they are able to do. We just felt the need for a bit more room and amenities. If the trailerability wasn't an important consideration for us, I would have gone to a trawler. Now that we've had 6 months with the 25, I am very pleased with our decision - small enough to tow, big enough to spend extended time aboard. It works for us.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the decisions.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
kolive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, another question after some good feedback on the berth.
Quote:
the 25 will use more fuel and require more of a tow vehicle

What does it take to tow a 25. Will a HD 3/4 to diesel tow it ok?

Keith
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there, welcome to the pub. That truck would be more than enough to tow most any C-D product. Don & Dee haul their 25 footer, Knotty-C, all over tarnation with a Chevy Avalanche car/truck and have no problems passing me on the freeway. One of the nice things about these boats is the ease of towing.
When you go to the boatshow, you should stop at the C-D display last. If you stop there first and talk to anybody you'll never get to see the rest of the show.
Do plan on going to the factory dinner, it's fun and informative, and if they have another yard sale, you may be able to buy enough parts for pennies on the dollar to build your own boat Smile Don't even worry about not fitting in, between boat names, screen names and real names, nobody knows who anybody else is anyhoots.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, Laughing ROFLMAO
Quote:
Don't even worry about not fitting in, between boat names, screen names and real names, nobody knows who anybody else is anyhoots

You're a funny guy!!! Thumbs Up

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: