The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

It's finally on order!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Overload

City/Region: Leavenworth, WA-n-Hope, Alaska
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' Brother
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: It's finally on order! Reply with quote

After a false start in 05 and an unexpected delay last fall, we finally placed the order with Les for a 22' Cruiser on Thursday. Very Happy

Like so many before me have said, this site is outstanding and full of great folks! THANKS DaNag and TyBoo! Thumbs Up Having lurked around for awhile before joining a couple of years ago, I have had more questions answered than I am capable of asking or even thinking about. I spent a little time in the sound and islands in the late 60's and 70's, but we are really "newbies to boating". So, lots to learn here and out on the water.

First a special thanks to my fire service brother DaveS for a day out on SeaShift, the advice, answered questions and suggestions..........Dave, it helped me and meant a lot! Also, for the PM's from David on AnnaLeigh and Barry on SeaCakes. In addition, the whole gang has helped and caused me to make few changes as I have worked through this project.

OK..........for the proverbial, what did you order? The overview is, for those who have been there, an EQ Special. The 22' Cruiser will have a high top and blue trim w/gray decks. Chose blue for two reasons.........one because we like blue and two, Brock said "ALL BOATS SHOULD BE BLUE"! OOPS, sorry if you get mombarded Brock. Laughing but that is what you told me at the convention in 2005. Twin E-TEC 50's (controversy time), full Raymarine integrated system, ICOM VHF, tall radar arch, full camper back, Webasto forced air heat ILO the Wallas (thanks to this site and Barry on SeaCakes). There are other goodies, but these are the highlights. Besides, I have to leave a little something for all y'all (is that the correct use Byrdman?) to see. Les and I are still working on the trailer. Also, Les gave me a detailed report on what had transpired with the molded interior the day before he received the boat used for the pictures. Sorry I was there a day too early to see the finished product, but as most of you know, his descriptions/explanations are almost as good as the real thing. We already have an Alaska Series inflatable and a Honda BF2 to go with it. Got these some time ago cuz they are both tough and LIGHT..........for an old decrepit retired guy to pull up onto the boat!

Delivery is planned for late April or early May. Don't want it over here until the snow is gone, as the stuff has piled up quite a bit this season and we need to make room in the shop for the trailer to fit. Now we will play the waiting and $$$$$$ game until (and after) it gets here. Since I am going to the SBS/CBC, I expect I will me making a number of trips out to the truck with bags of goodies for a few days.

Hope to see/meet some more of you at the SBS/CBC.

Doug and Glenda DeVore
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug and Glenda, congratulations on the new boat!! I know you'll love it. Partial to the twins m'self and yes y'all is correct. Or youse. Or whatever. Sorry I won't be at SBS to meet you both this year, maybe next. We're in the process of moving out of the big house, down to the river place.

Again, congrats, sounds GREAT!!!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Doug and Glenda,

I'm sure you're going to have a blast with your new vessel. Be sure to give me a call when you begin making your frequent trips over to the "West Side" to check on your vessel's progress and we'll get together.

C-Brat #16
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Doug and Glenda,

We will look forward to seeing you at the SBS.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to you both for the new cruiser...you'll surely enjoy her. And, congratulations on coining a very appropriate new word "mombarded". We've all been there on that one. Can't wait to use it. We have twin Honda 40's and like the twins. Were I to do it over I'd go with 50's. You made a good choice. See you at the SBS.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Doug and Glenda---Wonderful times before you.

We have twin Honda 40's and no controversy here. If we were to refit now it would be the E Tec 50's or maybe 60's. Will be interesting to see if one E Tec 50 will get you on plane. One Honda 40 won't do it for us.

To each there own, but we sure like the blue too.

Jay

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug and Glenda – congratulations on your new boat. Hope to meet you at the SBS/C-Dory party. You are only an hour away from Lake Chelan (one of our favorite lakes). Hope to be going there again, early fall of this year.

_________
Dave
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug and Glenda-
Congratulations on your new purchase!
The wife and I took the plunge on a new 22' cruiser last year at the boat show in Seattle. We couldn't be happier. The boat is all it's cracked up to be!
The longest wait of your life is between when you ordered your boat and when you get to pick it up! Happy cruising!
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so worth the wait! Congratulations and welcome aboard! The SBS is even MORE fun when you have a new boat to buy stuff for. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim b.

squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: All Raymarine?? Reply with quote

Everyone to their own but you really should do some reseach before going all Raymarine ... go to...

http://64.70.221.24/DiscBoard/viewtopic.php?p=6990&highlight=&sid=60729c359cc909d5a00481e66cfaf381

to view some eye opening post by real users concerning Raymarine..

go 4 threads down for a photo of a Raymarine and Garmin
and the truth..Raymaine chartplotters are HARD to use and unintuitive

I was really tempted by Raymarine but have decided to go all Furuno..the "Toyota" of marine electronics.

Dick
"ShirleyMae" 2007 255 Tomcat
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: All Raymarine?? Reply with quote

squidslayer wrote:
Everyone to their own but you really should do some reseach before going all Raymarine ... go to...

http://64.70.221.24/DiscBoard/viewtopic.php?p=6990&highlight=&sid=60729c359cc909d5a00481e66cfaf381

to view some eye opening post by real users concerning Raymarine..

go 4 threads down for a photo of a Raymarine and Garmin
and the truth..Raymaine chartplotters are HARD to use and unintuitive

I was really tempted by Raymarine but have decided to go all Furuno..the "Toyota" of marine electronics.

Dick
"ShirleyMae" 2007 255 Tomcat

I can't say I've spent much time with a Raymarine unit but I have a Garmin (fixed and handheld) and have used both a few years. I had the oppurtunity to spend a few hours playing with John's Raymarine system a few weeks ago. I definitely agree with the non-intuitive comments above. The Garmin, I had no problem just picking up and using - the Raymarine remained a mystery even after a few hours of dinking with it. Yes, it wasn't mine and yes I didn't read the Raymarine manual. However, I didn't read the manual with my Garmin before I was able to use 80% of its functions. The Garmin is FAR easier to use for sure. Don't know squat about the Furuno but certainly would test each one out for 1-2 hours without the manual before purchasing.

Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, we switched from all Furuno on our last boat to all Raymarine on the new TC255 and couldn't be happier with it. The E-80 with platinum charts is a joy to use and takes up less space on a very limited helm area. Take your pick!

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Take your pick Reply with quote

WORD!

chuck

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:33 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the largest electronics provider Raymarine can probably count the most units on the water. That does not make them the best unit on the water. As a marine service tech I spend most every day dealing with Raymarine products and problems on many boats. You won't find a Raymarine product on my boat. On the other hand I can not remember the last time I was called to service a Garmin. And we are still running Garmin products that have been in continued use on our boat for over ten years. That has been my experience with both products.

Logs of our most recent cruise at
http://www.7knots.com/cgi-bin/list_posrpt.pl?sorting=date;order=asc;page=1;boatname=Sea%20Trek;item=20;all=SEARCH
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug and Glenda,
Congrads on the new boat. I know how just you feel. We got an EQ special like you back in August. In hindsight Les was invaluable in steering me through all the options; there were things I hadn't thought about he talked me into, and others I thought I needed he talked me out of. Stuff that a newbie like myself could really screw up on. I have a lot more appreciation for that after running my boat for a few months. Les is a storehouse of knowledge (as everyone knows) and Stan (one of the riggers) knows all the details of your boat like "use a 2A fuse if you're mounting a West Marine Jet fan" or "when you drill into the fiberglass use a drill bit two sizes smaller and fasten with a SS sheet metal screw...). Anyway, using EQ has been a very positive experience. I don't think you'll reget using those guys.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Raymarine vs. others... The guy who installed my Raymarine system did a great job, BUT - in that process the "Quick Start" card got buried in the almost 8 inch tall stack of instruction manuals for the equipment.

Roger is right in saying that blindly trying to run those Platinum charts, Autopilot, Weather Satellite, Radar, etc., was not very intuitive. However, I found the quick start card the day after Roger and I went up to Deception Pass, and that really simplified things alot. Once you get used to the way in which Raymarine sorts thru the menus and choices, it is pretty consistant. The autopilot was easier than the charting. Of course, we were juggling satellite photos, tide/current icons, and helicoptor photos, bathymetric displays, etc., for the first time.

A system with fewer options would be easier to operate initially, I guess. I think all of these networked systems have more capabilities than most of us need. I'm happy with the Raymarine setup... My portable backup is a Lowrance 3000i H20. And yes, the portable gps was a breeeze to start and run without instructions...... but it did not have to cooperate with a dozen other inputs.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: