The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Member Greeting from the Bluegrass State

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregw

City/Region: Louisville
State or Province: KY
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: New Member Greeting from the Bluegrass State Reply with quote

Hello Brats, This is Greg from Louisville, Ky. I recently registered to your wonderful site so that I can learn some more about the C-Dory and the folks who enjoy them.
I'm on a 5 year plan to early retirement, at which time I would love to do the Great Loop and various other assorted cruises, for as long as I can still get out to do it. Phase one is building a house down on the Ohio river this spring, which will be my "Home Base". Enjoy Kentucky's wonderful spring and fall and travel the rest of the time. I plan to combine boat cruising, kayaking, and bicycle touring together. Kayak on top of the boat and folding touring bike stowed away on board. Explore areas that I visit by land and sea. Anyway, I have the biking and kayaking part down, but have a lot to learn about boating. I've read many of the adventures here on this site from folks like Cosmic C, Wanderer, Daydream, Hunky dory and Halcyon, and fell in love with the C-dory way. I started my research with sailboats (even took classes), then considered trawlers, and finally as I learned more I'm here. Thanks for such a great site and I hope I can invite myself to one of Brat gatherings if they ever get close to Louisville.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Welcome aboard!! The C-Dory should be able to take you on the adventures you seek.

Boat ownership is not required to attend a gathering, hope to see you at one.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Yup, you're in the right place. The C-Dory is perfect for exploring, and can carry your kayak and bike. You'll be amazed at how the trailerability adds to your explorations. Plus, this C-Brat site will hook you up with other C-Dory people who will become valued friends, and further your cruising grounds.

Rick from Maine
Mike

City/Region: mount juliet
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Photos: GYPSY
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi greg!
good to have you aboard. if you ever want to take a ride on a 22 cruiser give us a heads up on this site. b and i live on old hickory lake (mm 232.5, cumberland river) and welcome you for a ride. we got some good places to cruise to and have a meal, relax and enjoy the river!
c u later
mike

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the pub Greg from a former Cynthiana, Ky boy displaced to Naples, Fl. I too enjoyed the spring and fall in Kentucky but man-o-man...those summers in the humid Ohio River Valley and those Winters drove me as far south as I-75 went in those days some 20 years ago. I will concede that I did not escape the humid summers but I have learned to live with that.

Want a ride on a C-Dory...just show up anytime in Naples and we will hit the water.

Mike

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
alandgin

City/Region: Duluth, MN
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: alandgin (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Greg:

Welcome to the C-Brats - a fantastic group of folks! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If you're ever up in these parts - Duluth, MN - Lake Superior, stop by - I love biking, kayaking, canoeing, hiking. I also retired early (2001) at age 55 and just don't have enough time to do everything! We bought our '00 CD 16 Angler this past November, so am patiently waiting for spring to arrive. No snow here now, so x-c skiing is non-existent. . . thus I'm spending time in my ice-fish house waiting for the elusive crappie and walleye to bite! How many other Brats out there ice-fishing this winter??? Cool

Greg, I checked out your profile and you hooked me on the crazyguyonabike.com site. It's bookmarked, so will have another site to visit from time to time. Thanks!

Al

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Greg.

We are sure you'll enjoy the site and the boat (when you succumb to C-Dory gottahavititus). There are a bunch of idiosyncratic (ok-Weird) folks on this site who have a wealth of information about C-Dorys and seamanship in general. They are usually more than willing to offer advice and answers, sometimes they're even helpful!

I once spent a few years in KY courtesy of Uncle Sam at Bluegrass Depot outside of Richmond and even got a degree from EKU. Beautiful place.

416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Maybe we'll cross paths on the water sometime.

Rick & Donna

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Greg.

I know it is short notice, but if you can get up here to the Seattle Boat Show, C-Dory factory party and the C-Brat gathering, you will have a chance to learn more about the boats and meet many of the C-Brats. It is the biggest gathering of the C-Brats each year.

________
Dave
Gregw

City/Region: Louisville
State or Province: KY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

So many people from the Pacific NW and the Gulf. I love both areas, I cycled across the Northern Cascades of Washington and Down the coast to San Francisco. The traffic on Whidbey Island is tough for a cyclist, but the views are unforgettable. I have fished and kayaked on Dauphin Island Al. and St. George Island Fl. These are the areas that I want to see a lot more of.

Mike (Naples) I spent a lot of time in Cynthiana during and after College, Cut and housed tobacco in the heat of the late summer and hunted along the Licking River. (Just passed Oddville, on Judy Ridge}

"Home-Base" on the Ohio begins this spring, and I have more time to settle on my "Sea-Base" or in this case "C-Base" for the future.

Mike (Tn.) you are not that far from Louisville (relative to WA or Fl) I may take you up on a C-dory visit, I have not seen these boats in person.

Question on fuel consumption; I have seen several references to 5mpg at 18-22 mph, how about trawler speed of 5-7mph? What is the most effective way to maintain trawler speed, with your small hp kicker or with just one of your twin 40's? I don't think I will be in much of a hurry most of the time. The economy of the small trawlers like the Nimble caught my attention, but then again slow is their only speed, the C-dory I assume gives you both options.

Thanks again, Greg

Last edited by Gregw on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
iggy

City/Region: Hillsboro, OR
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Edward Gallaher
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg -

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. I am also a wannabe (getting closer!), but I've become a dedicated member of this forum. After lurking for awhile I finally registered; it was around 11:00 PM on a Friday night, and I posted a request to talk to local owners, and/or go out and look at a local C-Dory. At 9:00 AM Saturday I rec'd a phone call from johnf -- his boat was in dry storage and he was taking it out that morning for a short run.

Long story short, I was on the water on a CD-22 Cruiser within 12 hours of joining the group!! You've already experienced this hospitality as shown by the replies to your first message -- and it only gets better. We've since been to a dinner (land-based), and a weekend outing on the Columbia R. We stayed in a B&B, tagged along on a river cruise (free rides on both CD-22 and CD-25), and enjoyed a fantastic (!) potluck dinner. You've come to the right place . . .

ejg
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg -
We used one of our twin 40's while cruising the Erie Canal, with a low speed limit so we were traveling less than 10 mph, and our fuel consumption was twice as good as usual with the slow speed. So, a single 40 with the other up and out of the way, was really economical for us on that cruise.
Much of our cruising is at low speeds -- we like to see things -- and the C-Dory is perfect for that kind of cruising. Welcome aboard!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: