The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda 5hp or Tohatsu/Nissan 6?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, we bought a Suzuki 2.5hp motor. I guess I'm a little anal and agree with C-Weed, it matters to me that the engines match plus I think Suzuki's make good engines. In fact, I manufactured a little board to hold the dink motor on the transom rail, it looks pretty good! A kid at the marina commented, "wow, he has THREE engines"! I know, it sounds a bit much but the fact is, those Alaska Series inflatables aren't the smoothest rowing things around and besides, I could use the dink as a lake fisher.

Peter
C-Dancer
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am anal too, then, as that is why I am considering the Yamaha motors, to match my 150s! Laughing Unfortunately, looks like Yamaha has dropped the long shaft option for the 2.5, and Jim from Alaska Series says I need the long shaft. But a 4 hp is only 11# heavier, so I may go that route instead of buying a Honda 2 hp or something else.

Great minds think alike -- I am considering getting the fishing frame for the Alaska Series tender so I can use it on rivers as well as with a motor on lakes.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Shiawassee

City/Region: Michigan Wannabe
State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with JamesTXSD about the noisy, vibrating nature of the Honda 5 HP.
When I bought mine in 1992, it was about the only 4-stroke available in my area.
It has never failed to start and I never had a shear pin problem. (When I hit the log, the shear pin broke just like it is supposed to do)
About five years ago, the plastic starter gear broke in two. The dealer had to order a new one (a clue, perhaps?).
Dale

(still waiting for my C-Dory to come in....)
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One side note on the Honda versus Nissan/Tohatsu. Honda resale value will probably be higher to much higher. Not because it is better, just the perception from a lot of people that the Honda is better. Same goes for Yamaha versus Nissan/Tohatsu.
Silverback

City/Region: Kelowna, BC
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Photos: Silverback
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
I'm considering the Alaska series in the same size/model you have. Does the Griz Claw bottom add much weight? Also, do you find it any more difficult to pack in a compact area because of the extra layer on the bottom. I think I'd carry the tender uninflated much of the time and volume and weight would be important consideration. Thanks,
Bill
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Regarding the weight with the Grizzley Claw, I don't think it added a great deal of weight. When the tender was delivered, it was folded very compactly in a carrying tarp, for lack of a better word. The tarp is not an enclosed bag, you can fold it up over the boat and wrap with the attached ties. However, we have not packed it back the same way since we purchased it. We have kept it inflated.

I don't think it would be a big problem to deflate it, fold it back up, and wrap it back into the tarp, we just haven't done it. Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Peter
C-Dancer
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a while, but after communicating with Les, I decided buy a 6 HP Nissan 4 stroke for my Mercury inflatable. I wanted to use the same motor as an emergency kicker. But the inflatable uses a 15" shaft and the 22' uses a 20" shaft. It was decided that since my primary use would be on the inflatable, I would go with a 15" shaft. For the occassional use on the 22', I would use a motor mount that would lower the motor to the proper depth while at the same time move the motor out to clear the trim tabs.

With this in mind, I chose a Fulton mount (saltwater) that has 14 1/2" of travel. Instead of directly mounting the Fulton mount to the transom, I used a mounting plate that allows the Fulton mount to slide in and out. This way, when the kicker is not in use, there is no empty (ugly) motor mount hanging from the transom.

I wanted to mount the kicker on the starboard side which puts the tiller close to the 90HP Honda. So we offset the mount to give clearance. This will also allow us to attach a steering attachment from the main to the kicker so I can steer from the helm. I can still raise the kicker out of the water when not in use.

I posted some pictures in the Swee Pea album if anyone is interested.

John
Swee Pea
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tohatsu 5-6 hp are a smaller block than the 8/9.9 hp engines--and lighter.

The 20" shaft on a 15" dinghy transom will be awkward when comming onto a beach. You will have to pull the motor up in 5" deeper water, and you will not able to be get the lower unit quite as far out of the water. If you try and plane with the smaller motor the boat may tend to be slightly less stable on a plane/semi plane.

You can extend a dinghy transom to 20" by rebuilding it. This means use of epoxy and plywood/probably an alunium plate for re-inforcement.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T&R Marine makes a nifty transom elevator . It under "accessories" at http://www.trmarine.com/cat.html
Marc

Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I investigated the transom elevator. I even designed one made out of plywood. I decided that since the Nissan 6 hp's primary use would be the inflatable, I decided to purchase the correct shaft for it and use the Fulton motor bracket for use on the 22'. The only time it will be used on the C Dory will be in an emergency. I think this will work best for my intended purpose.

John
Swee Pea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: