The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda 5hp or Tohatsu/Nissan 6?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Honda 5hp or Tohatsu/Nissan 6? Reply with quote

Hate to bother you nice folks (can't sleep tonight/this AM). I've narrowed my choice for a dual purpose outboard - kicker/inflatable to either a 5HP Honda or a 6HP Tohatsu/Nissan, both in a 20" shaft. Have done a lot of searching and seems to be two schools of thought - never use a 20" shaft on a boat designed for a 15" shaft, or use a 20" shaft and don't worry. However, this advice is usually directed to larger boats. Many users of inflatables that use a 20" shaft report that using such a small engine, it will not have any dangerous effects - just won't function at optimal levels. Can still use a transom elevator to lift the motor 5" (a little expensive unless I build one myself) for the inflatable. Talked to the manufacturer of the transom elevator - should work fine.
Since I have trim tabs, will use the Mini Jacker for kicker attachment when not in use on the inflatable.
Now for comments on either motor. I know that alot of you do not like the Honda 5. Some dealers say it is due for a redesign due to plastic? flywheel. Other dealers say this puppy has been around for a long time and has proven itself. What say you? The Tohatsu/Nissan is looking good - better price, lighter weight, same warranty; too bad it isn't Honda grey. I am becoming way too anal these days.
Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

John
Swee Pea
Moldy

City/Region: NEWBERG
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2005 Nissan 5 horse 4 stroke kicker and I really loved it!
Sold it with the boat Sad only thing was being it is a one cylinder it does shake a bit but I didnt think it was a problem. The motor goes forever on fuel
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swee Pea..... some magazine had a head to head evaluation of all the small outboards. I may have it at home.

I think the Nissan/Tohatsu was the same block as their 9 hp (or similar) model, detuned for the 5-6 hp, so was very heavy, but water cooled.

The Honda had alot of plusses, but it was air cooled, so louder, but much much lighter and easier to handle. The Honda had easier oil check access, but some thought the rubbery cover snap was hard to place.

Brent and Dixie use the Honda, and some friends of mine here use a Honda. I think you have to swivel for reverse. The Honda has a storage for spare shear pin and cotter also.

John
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. John, I think you may be thinking of the Honda 2 regarding the air-cooled and rotating the motor for reverse. We had a Honda 5 for a dinghy and found it to be a heavy, noisy, cold-blooded motor. The 5 is a single cylinder and vibrates quite a bit. Most owners have had problems with the shear pins and have bought the pins for the 8 hp and filed them down. We've had other Hondas and found them to be the best in their class... I think the 5 is definitely due for a makeover. Not meant to sound harsh, it just seems that the Honda 5 isn't up to their usual design/performance standards. My 2¢.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Jim. I was not sure what hp ratings the article was about. Glad you cleared that up! John
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On has a 10 hp Honda with a 20 " shaft, used as a trolling/get-me-home motor and for the dingy.

It's like all Hondas: heavy. Changing from the CD25 to the inflatable is done by hoist. I've often thought I should have gotten a Tohatsu, since it's about 20 lbs lighter. Get it from Defender (cheapest.) Also I'm going to have to raise the transom height. When the dingy gets up on plane, water is scooped up over the transom by the motor. Who makes a commercially avalable transom height increaser?

Boris
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a Merc 6HP on our Sailboat and it's a great engine. The instruction book is for both a Merc and Tohatsu, so I thought they were the same engine. Not sure about the Nissan connection?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Honda Tohatsu Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast responses. The transom elevator is made by T&R Marine http://www.trmarine.com/cat.html They are a little pricey. Don't know if I can make one out of plywood. Will wait for the arrival of the Mercury inflatable.
Charlie, the Nissan connection is that evidently Tohatsu makes both Nissan and Mercury outboards in the small size. How small, I don't know, but the Tohatsu, Nissan, and Mercury 4 cyl 6 hp and below are all the same motors, just different paint and graphics.

Thanks again, and keep the input coming.

Love this site.

John
Swee Pea
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying an 8'10" Alaska Series inflatable (for the weight, to make it easier to get it on the roof). This would be the dinghy, not the sportboat.

I'm thinking of powering it with a 2.5 horse four-stroke Yamaha.

Would appreciate feedback on the Yamaha (and the Alaska Series dinghy.)

Thanks.
Warren

P.S. After I posted this I noticed that the 2.5 Yamaha is not available with a long shaft. That may be a problem. May have to go to the 4 hp.

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Tohatsu Reply with quote

Swee Pea wrote:
Thanks for the fast responses. The transom elevator is made by T&R Marine http://www.trmarine.com/cat.html They are a little pricey. Don't know if I can make one out of plywood. Will wait for the arrival of the Mercury inflatable.
Charlie, the Nissan connection is that evidently Tohatsu makes both Nissan and Mercury outboards in the small size. How small, I don't know, but the Tohatsu, Nissan, and Mercury 4 cyl 6 hp and below are all the same motors, just different paint and graphics.

Thanks again, and keep the input coming.

Love this site.

John
Swee Pea

Thanks John, I think they make Kamashita, Doncarealota, and Kamakazie too! Disgust Confused Shocked

charlie
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sell Honda and Nissan/Tohatsu as well as Suzuki. You cant go wrong with any one of them, but your wallet will remain thicker with the Tohatsu,you will get the longest warranty with Suzuki . The 9.8 Tohatsu is also the lightest in the class at around 84LBs for 20" shaft . If you move the motor around alot , thats a consideration. Just my 2 cents,
Marc

C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swee Pea:

I would recommend a twin cylinder for smooth quiet operation and torque. Performance would be better for both the CD and the dink. I enjoy running the boat from the cockpit in hot weather. I don't know how most people move the motor to the dink. I would think one would pull close to shore (if possible) drop the dink. And step off and swap the motor over.

The tohatsu charging system is extra unless you get electric start. This option is about $150 from what I found. For my yamaha a charging rectifier was all of $30. Just plug it in, add two clamps and connect to either battery to charge. With a rope start kicker it is a nice back-up. Since you can putt-putt along at super economy sail boat speed why not charge the batteries too? Many a sail boat run to the Bahamas on 8 H.P when the wind won't blow.

With such a great looking boat you have, No motor would ever look as good as one that matches your main. A real package deal. If you ever sell her it would look better to the buyer, too. ($$$) Next year if you get anything but a Honda you won't remember what you spent the money on that you saved by buying the Tohatsu. But you will be reminded every time you see the engines on the stern which ever way you went.

Now is a good time to shop for a left over model at a discount. I found one out of state and had it shipped to my door for less than the sales tax would be. I didn't have to pay tax out of state.

One complaint of the Honda 5 is the carb jets getting gummed up very easily as they are so small. Resulting in balky operation unless ran weekly.

Check the RedFox website. He made an extention for an 8H.P. on his dink. Basically a couple boards thru bolted if I recall. Ask. if you don't see it posted.

Lori Ann: See the Red Fox website for information on the Yamaha 2.5. He loves his.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

We bought the Alaska Series Dinghy at the Seattle Boat Show last year. I believe it was the 240 TDS model, which is 7'10" and 45 lbs. They are very well made boats but pricey. At 45 lbs, they are not too heavy to handle and we added the grizzly claw bottom for beaching on rocks and gravel.

You can see ours on top of the cabin in our signature picture.

As for Redfox, you can find his site here:

RedFox

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Marc at Wefings:

As a dealer and in your experience, what has been the track record of the Honda 5? What is your impression of the motor? And since you sell all, not wanting to go over a 6 hp, as a dealer, which motor would you recommned for my particular application?

How's that for putting someone on the spot?

I appreciate your honest input.

John
Swee Pea
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-dancer wrote:
Warren,

We bought the Alaska Series Dinghy at the Seattle Boat Show last year. I believe it was the 240 TDS model, which is 7'10" and 45 lbs. They are very well made boats but pricey. At 45 lbs, they are not too heavy to handle and we added the grizzly claw bottom for beaching on rocks and gravel.

You can see ours on top of the cabin in our signature picture.

As for Redfox, you can find his site here:

RedFox

Thanks. I found the RedFox site earlier but could not find any reference to his dinghy or the Yamaha motor for it.

Do you have a motor for your Alaska Series dinghy? If so, what is the make and hp, and what do you like/not about it?

Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: