The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Should torque steer trim tabs be set on new TomCats?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Should torque steer trim tabs be set on new TomCats? Reply with quote

Hey there...

I noticed very strong torque steering when using only the port or starboard engine on my new TomCat up in Seattle. I do not have access to the boat, and it was a rainy mess most of the time I was up there, so I am just guessing that the trim tabs on the engine legs were left straight and not set to eliminate torquing pressure from the props.

I also noticed that Brent and Dixie cruised for periods on a single engine and wonder if you'd have to correct for torque steering in order to do that. I wondered if the engines were more efficient as a set, each torque offsetting the other, if they were not corrected for torque steering.

Any info would be appreciated.

John
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Are you sure it is torque steer or just the one engine being so far from the center line. I forget which way the torque is going to push you (probably to port on a clockwise rotation), meaning if you are running the starboard engine, the boat would definitely pull to port. If you were on the port engine only, the position of the engine would tend to counteract the torque. I may have the directions confused but the problem sounds more like a thrust vector than a torque issue.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Tom, maybe it is just "prop walk", but it is stronger than I have felt in dual inboard installations. Maybe you are right in thinking that the wide spread between the outboards is exhagerating the turning effect.

I am thinking of trolling with one engine, maybe even slow cruising that way some, and wondered if you'd just have to correct for the strong turning effect by steering the other direction.

The effect is so strong that you can actually drive the boat, with engines steered straight and at idle, by alternatively engaging one or the other in the minimum forward position.

Last nite I was awake thinking just what you are now saying.... oh well.

btw, engaging only the port engine moves the stern to port and engaging only the starboard engine moves the stern to starboard.

Thanks , John
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:

btw, engaging only the port engine moves the stern to port and engaging only the starboard engine moves the stern to starboard.

Thanks , John

That's a dead give away unless your engines are counter rotating which I doubt very much. It's gotta be the engine spacing. If it was prop walk with engines rotating the same direction, they'd each go the same way. Prop Walk is most/only noticible at very low speeds, otherwise thrust direction takes over...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Choice wrote:
That's a dead give away unless your engines are counter rotating which I doubt very much. It's gotta be the engine spacing. If it was prop walk with engines rotating the same direction, they'd each go the same way. Prop Walk is most/only noticible at very low speeds, otherwise thrust direction takes over...

Charlie

Why do you doubt that the engines are counter-rotating? Mine are, and I don't think that my boat is that unusual. Les told me that one of the reasons he stopped selling Tom Cats is because of the expense of carrying an inventory of counter-rotating engines.

There is a Tom Cat on the board who has posted about cruising economically on one engine. Hopefully he will comment here.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the TomCats are definitely counter-rotating. Les told me the same thing... too expensive to carry dual rotating engine sets of three different manufacturers.

Seeing what you are saying makes me think it is mainly prop-walk. Maybe it is because the TomCat is relatively lighter than the dual prop boats I've been on before. I just thought the small diameter Honda props would walk less than the big bronze props on inboards.

Thanks for all your input, John
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori Ann wrote:
Captains Choice wrote:

Charlie

Why do you doubt that the engines are counter-rotating? Mine are, and I don't think that my boat is that unusual. Les told me that one of the reasons he stopped selling Tom Cats is because of the expense of carrying an inventory of counter-rotating engines.

There is a Tom Cat on the board who has posted about cruising economically on one engine. Hopefully he will comment here.

Warren

Warren, I doubt it because it's extremely rare and I'd bet a Cocktail and a couple of Beer Beer 's too that yours aren't. Where did you buy yours? I've been wrong before though, as my bride tells me often! Cry

Charlie
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wouldnt consider selling a Tomcat without counterrotating motors, and we mount them backwards! [ Port on Stbd side and vice versa] We learned this trick from other catamarans we sell . The just are more efficient that way . We even trained the factory to mount them that way for us when they rig one for us and I think they do it on all the boats now. It does not work on a monohull.
The torque tabs on the lower units of the motors will not affect your issue .Keep them close to straight and symmetrical as they just create drag that the engine "feels" . They are not real noticable with the hydraulic steering and they will not steer your boat.
First of all you need to trim the unused motor out of the water cause it creates a huge drag .
The boat itself being pushed from only one side creates a good bit of drag itself .Kinda like side tying to another boat ,and running , if you have ever done that . Thats what you are feeling . At low speed its not too bad and gets worse the faster you go . I hope this helps .
Marc

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may stand corrected.... Embarassed If they really are on that boat.

I thought they were very rare.... But then I thougt virgins were too.... Shocked Gift Hug

Hard for a Naval Officer (even a former one) to admit too!! Exclamation

Charlie
mrw90

City/Region: Bellingham
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that prop walk is part of what you are experiencing. I would also guess that the wide engine spacing is the greater part of the equation.

On one engine, as stated above, you will see improvement by lifting one engine out of the water to reduce drag. Ultimately, to go straight on one engine (in the case of trolling for example) you can compensate by making a slight opposite adjustment with the steering wheel.
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marc and all for the great feedback. I don't know why it did not occur to me that having one engine down and dead would act like dragging a paddle on a canoe! I was kind of thinking that activating those torque trim tabs might just create drag for no reason and your feedback seems to reinforce that.

Thanks, John
Hoop

City/Region: Friday Harbor, WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Spaniel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,

Does "backwards" mounting of counter-rotating propellers mean that the clockwise rotating prop is on the port side and the counter-clockwise rotating prop is on the starboard side (rotation viewed from the rear)? On what basis is it felt that they are more efficient in being mounted backwards.

Thanks for posting.

drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If propwalk is a significant factor in the slow speed turning on one engine, then it seems to my senses, while on the boat, that the counter clockwise outboard is on the port on my TomCat. Is this the backwards? It kind of makes sense to me to put the counter rotating on the port, but I have not had time nor weather to correctly analyse this.

Now, if I'm supposed to truly mount them backwards, then C-Dory is gonna have to revise those Armstrong brackets and the steering and even the windshield wipers, unless I'm sposed to be running in reverse all the time... Although, come to think about it, that'd make it easier to troll whilst resting on the porcelain throne!

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Brent and Dixie left our home before I had checked on the list--so I cannot ask them--but my experience is that there is definate pull from the engine--more than in inboard twin screw boats. As Marc says, the faster you run the boat on a single, the more the boat pulls to the side.

However I had the impression that the boats with the liquid tie bar were not susposed to be run with the engine all of the way up????

Yes, my boat has counter rotating engines--they are "backward" as Marc notes. The pull is not prop walk, but due to the asymetry of propulsion force and the hull configuration. There is some prop walk , but most noticable in reverse--as in most boats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob.... But, exactly what is "backward"? Which prop is where? Why is one way considered "backward"?
What is a "liquid tie bar"? Hydraulic steering?
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: