The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The good and the oh-so bad.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seeing the photos, I can toss out a free opinion now: it doesn't look that much different. Definitely, something needs to be done with the dinette area. Looks like too little foot space; the sliding seat was a workable solution for foot space. Sailboat manufacturers have done this: made smaller boats with smaller proportions (to look like their bigger boats) and lost functionality with settees too small and berths too short. The dinette in the 25 is great - try to reduce the size to make it fit in the 22 (and not have the sliding seat), and it loses functionality. I'm sure the factory will get this right, but what happens to these boats in the meantime? I like the toe-kick space in front of the galley. The recessed cabinet doors look more modern, but still traditional with the wood trim.

The walls/overhead still have that utilitarian look, and I think that people notice that right away. I wonder if someone unfamiliar with these boats would really notice that much difference?

Bling? When the factory puts an ultra-suede wall liner, mirrored ceiling with indirect lighting, and wall sconces into these boats, we'll all have something to rant about. Wink

I understand the need to hold down the costs. Thinking that there is less "craftsmanship" in the interior makes me sigh, though. As a recently retired artistic/craftsperson, it seems that this is the direction most of the buying public is heading. There is a difference between "cheapening" a product and increasing efficiency. Hopefully the factory folks know their buyers well enough to know where to draw the line.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the new interiors in person, but it looks like the character of our boats is intact. The change isn't such that I'd want to "upgrade", but it sure isn't the "Bayliner-ing" (made up word) of our boats, either.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

PS - Thanks for posting the photos! Wish we could make the SBS this year - bet the discussion will be lively!

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
our rear dinette seat has tiny (pretty useless) storage because of the water tank

We must have different tanks. I take the seat off, and have a microwave on the tank, (the tank is angled on the back) my water hose, charcoal, briquet lighter, and a toaster on the side, poncho, and some other stuff.

CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagold wrote:
Quote:
our rear dinette seat has tiny (pretty useless) storage because of the water tank

We must have different tanks. I take the seat off, and have a microwave on the tank, (the tank is angled on the back) my water hose, charcoal, briquet lighter, and a toaster on the side, poncho, and some other stuff.

Yup, must be different...about all that'll fit in there is a map or 2. We decided it wasn't worth the effort the put a door in that was only 4" high -- we'll just stow whatever we can in there that we don't use much Smile
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a Cape Cruiser I can say that I think the molded in fiberglass interior looks good. I think they did a very nice job with the doors being recessed. The addition of the two doors to access storage on the port side is nice. But I have to say that the overall design on the ports side is horrible! Talk about a waist of space! The old design used on the CC and CD is much more usable and functional. You have a large amount of storage, a large table with plenty of foot space and a reversible seat. This new design may work on the 25 but on the 22 there just simply isn't enough space.

Bill
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the pic I think Iam still right. It must be me but i think the molded interior looks cheap. Like they could not be bothered to use real wood. some folks seem to like that look. As for the seating. Wait until you try to get your feet under that small table. the table top is a full 1/3 smaller. I cant get between the table and the seat back. When i face foward I do not have enough room for my legs. The big draw back is the amount of storage loss. the forward seat is open all the way to the floor so anything you put in there is just going to slide around. there is no access from the top of either set. I hope they fix it but as is it does not work.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has all been pretty interesting. Thanks for pictures pete. That makes things pretty clear. I actually like the look. Can't comment on the functionality as I haven't tried to use it, don't have a 22 or 25, but will have in the next couple years so this has been valuable. I really think they have done a good job with the interior. The table leg, that is another story. Pretty obvious that wasn't going to fly. They took a standard from the RV industry on that one. But that will get remedied soon enough. I think it looks pretty nice.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yup, must be different..

Interesting. Perhaps they were getting ready for the changes needed internally for the moulded interior. At any rate, not a biggie with me since I have plenty of space (and need a lot of it -- I'm a pack rat).
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather----Teapot Tempest or Hurricane?

Either way, group interest is diffenently hurricane force.

Jay

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the photos, I come up with much the same reaction as most of you.

It actually looks much better aesthetically overall than I expected. The modern white molded fiberglass is bright and functional, and with sufficient teak wood trim and such tricks as recessing the doors, using louvers, edging trim, etc., can be dressy and appealing.

Like others, I think the starboard side is fine, but the port has to be changed somehow. Bring back a sliding front, full sized, reversible seat instead of the fixed smaller one. Then bring back the larger, "full sized" table and afix it sturdily.

The cockpit changes- the larger step and molded tray- look fine, but running new wiring or customizing the storage tray with dividers will be harder. Still like the older, rounded, direct walk on the hull floor, but that's a personal preference, and most folks will never know the difference.

See Ya' in Seattle!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
This has all been pretty interesting. Thanks for pictures pete. That makes things pretty clear. I actually like the look. Can't comment on the functionality as I haven't tried to use it, don't have a 22 or 25, but will have in the next couple years so this has been valuable. I really think they have done a good job with the interior. The table leg, that is another story. Pretty obvious that wasn't going to fly. They took a standard from the RV industry on that one. But that will get remedied soon enough. I think it looks pretty nice.

We have that type of table leg/mount on our 25, and it is rock solid (but also attached to the hull at the back of the table); seems much sturdier than the square leg with the latch that was on previous models. I could dance on that table... but Joan doesn't let me do that anymore. Reminds me of when we met in that strip club... she was putting a dollar bill in my g-string... that wasn't so bad, but then she reached in to get change... well, nevermind, that has almost nothing to do with this thread.

I still like Wild Blue's interior, but don't see anything with the molded stuff that would chase me away as a potential buyer. It could be worse - I've seen boats that had nasty raw fiberglass behind those deck liners... slice you like a razor. This all looks to be well-done, and will only get better with some input and usage. It will be interesting to see how it plays out at the SBS gathering.

Best wishes,
Jim B. (and no, Tom, you can't borrow my Zorro outfit for your 3 year delayed honeymoon Mr. Green )

I thought we could all use a bit of levity at this point
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but I like sword play....
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Bling? When the factory puts an ultra-suede wall liner, mirrored ceiling with indirect lighting, and wall sconces into these boats, we'll all have something to rant about. Wink

Ugh...the day C-Dory starts marketing to the Yuppies, is the day I start drinking heavily. Well...more heavily.

Given the number of hippies and ex-hippies in this crowd, I think they should use crushed velvet (purple) for the liner, black lights, hemp upholstery, and a nice bead doorway into the v-berth.

Heck...that might even get Brock to upgrade.

Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some photos of the new cd25 and cd22 molded interiors under construction. I like the new enclosed gunwales even though they are smaller and I couldn't put fenders in them. Our 25 has the open gunwale storage and it's always bugged me that insects and rodents would have access to the bilge and into the cabin behind the head.

Here is the link:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Knotty-C&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Don
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other 2 cents: now I've invested 4 cents.

After looking at the newest pictures, the boats seem to have a clean look. I personally am not so very disappointed. I am certainly not envious of any new improvements. I am happy with my boat, a 2004. If I was a new purchaser, I would not be turned off by the new C-Dory interior but .....

As an owner, I can see things that I personally would not want. I like the looks of an all glass door, but I would NOT want one. I like the field of view, but no screened window in the door (which some of us have now Wink ) Anyway, glass to the floor? I KNOW I'd break the glass. No doubt about it. Don't want it. Do not envy those of you that do.

I do not have a sliding/face forward seat. A very nice option. I wish I had one, but I don't and do not intend to make one. So I will be a little envious of those of you that do. But it seems that the forward seat now does not slide and table space is smaller. I would rather have what I have that this new improvement. No envy here.

I still have my wonderful ice box. Quit laughing. Crook Since I insulated it, it works for me. If I did not have one, I would have built shelves behind a door. The new one has a door. Its a wash. No envy, no regrets.

I do not like the lack of storage space beneath the port seats and the foot area under the table. I do not like the gunnel treatment, although is IS CLEAN LOOKING. Very nice. I have removable floorboards, now they are built in. Pretty nice. No envy.

All in all, I think the factory tried to create and compete using fiberglass. I think it looks nice. Not actually seeing one for real, I still reserve a final opinion. I will need to get behind the cabinets and see how wire are run, how easy to get to, and how easy to customize to my liking. But it certainly does not look like a Bayliner.

John
Swee Pea
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been an interesting thread.

My opinion does not matter, none the less I will give it in two weeks, after I have examined the boat in person.

I just hope C-Dory will offer a version that has nothing inside, so those that do not like the molded interior can have a custom interior built or do it themselves. Then you would have a win win situation here.

_________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: