The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The good and the oh-so bad.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: The good and the oh-so bad. Reply with quote

I attended the fishing seminar in fifi yesterday and had my first opportunity to see the 25 c ranger tug and the new molded interior of the 22 c-dory. I would like to share what I think about these two new developments.

The c-ranger tug came out better then I was expecting. There is a lot of room in the forward berth for even me to lie down. The height of the forward berths roof is wonderful. This allows me to stand up to dress or sit up to read. By removing the center cushion the forward bunk becomes a nice sitting area. The galley is well done with lots of counter space after you flip up the captain’s seat. The bath and shower seems to have a lot of room for so small a boat. The only thing that I was not finding on this boat was the fish cooler on the back deck but there was room for one to be added under the deck hatch. This tug is big enough for two people to cruise to anywhere in comfort with out being crowded. I also think that with a few downriggers mounted and a rear steering station with depth sounder the tug would make a good fishing platform while cruising. It would be a great boat to hang out on while waiting on the crab or shrimp to fill the pots. There is a bait tank on the rear deck that is to small for salmon but would be great for crabs or shrimp. If I was looking cruising boat for going to Alaska when I have the time to only go 12 mph then this would be it. I never want a large boat. 30ft would be my max so this boat is just perfect. A re interdiction of the 27ft pilot house would be the thing c dory could do for me but I am not holding my breath.

Now for the 22’s molded cabinets. After looking at it and then telling scott what I thought I will share with you my thoughts. This is with out a doubt the worst idea and biggest set back that c-dory has had yet. Last year c-dory added the flat raised aft deck and full glass rear door , both were great improvements as were the bigger fuel tank just before that. The new molded glass interior loses a great deal of storage space and does not allow for shelves to be added very easily. There is no storage above the water tank. The table is now a pedestal table that is not attached to the wall and wobbles around like a bobble head doll. I think it would be pounding the wall in any rough water. How will I get my feet under t ith out hitting the pedestal is beyond me. The table is also about a 3rd less in size. The sliding front seat that we all love so much is gone. The molded seat is not movable but the back seat rest is. The seat is not as wide to make up room for your legs, but does not have enough room for me to get between the table and back rest. There is a door to the space under the seat but no bottom. It just opens up all the way to the hull. This space is smaller then normal barber seat and has no shelves. The same can be said for the area under the captain’s seat. The storage under the seat and under the feet is the open to one another. This is not a good idea as you have to come up with a way to keep stuff from sliding around. This also opens up to the storage under the sink and the same problems of not having shelves. I also think that having fiberglass as a counter top in a cooking area is a dumb idea that is just waiting for a hot pan to strike.

If I was looking for a boat today and this molded interior was my only choice I would pass on the c-dory. The cape cruiser’s molded interior has a bigger table that swings out of the way and more storage. Also the front seat moves back and forth and is much larger. I know that c-dory is trying to save money and stream line there building process but this was a wrong move in my humble opinion. I know the boat show is coming up but I don’t think this is going to help them at all. I hope that c-dory abandons the idea and goes back to the old interior that we all have. At the least they should offer a boat with out a interior that the costumer could out fit is own way. Even offering the old style as a option would be a good idea. Sorry if I ruffle any feathers with my decisive opinion matter of writing, but hey that’s me being me.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the upside, this can only increase the cachet(and value) of older models, such as Adeline. She's not getting older, she's just getting better !

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay Folks,

I always told you that the 1983 vintage angler had the best interior.

1. It looks like wood, like the old wood boats.

2. One could add, change etc. to the interior without screwing everything up. I have added a stern seat in teak, shelves in teak, a galley in teak. Looks real "bristol fashion", not like the clorox bottles they call boats today.

3. It cost a lot less to buy, and a lot of fun working on. (The old "satisfaction" feeling when you do something right.)

Thank you Mr. Starcraftom for your input. You think like a real sailor and you are right on it.

Fred

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The good and the oh-so bad. Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
...but this was a wrong move in my humble opinion.

That's the part that throws me for a loop in this. Your opinion is not humble, Tom, and neither are those of the rest of this group. My goodness, outfits spend huge amounts on focus groups and customer studies to get precisely the kind of feedback that we have been providing for free for years. To make a change that so drastically alters the personality of the boat without running it through this group is foolhardy. It also kind of hurts my feelings a bit. We are a loyal bunch, but that loyalty is not blind. It is free, but it isn't cheap. And it would take about eleven seconds to change the name of this group.

I haven't made up my own mind on this change because I haven't seen it yet. But I very much respect Tom's take on it and would be dishonest if I didn't say that making me like it just got a lot harder after reading so honest a review. I also respect C-Dory's reasons as explained to me in an email or two from Jeff. I just wish the reasons had been explained before the change was made, and I wish the reasons had been offered to this group along with a solicitation of respected opinion.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike thanks for the kind words, and you should here me when iam not humble. It's not that they went with a molded glass insert, which I don't like, but the over all design. It just waste any storage space that we did have and that was not enough to begin with. The cape cruiser also had a molded interior, which i don't like, but kept most of the storage space and the table design was just wonderful. I understand the cost benefits and savings as they work to produce more boats, and I think that is the goal in the long run, but if you cant sell them cutting cost really does not matter. I would hate to be a long time dealer and now have to try and sell this interior.
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: New CD22 Interior Reply with quote

Your review of the new CD22 interior is really bringing down my Sunday. I have been lusting after one for awhile now and even have my wife pretty much talked into it. Now I feel like I need to reconsider my choice of manufacturer.

I do appreciate you taking the time to write up your review though. Thanks.

Rob
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob go see one for your self. Taste is a very personnal thing and you may like it. also it really depends on usage. If I was just a day cruiser or fisheir and never stayed over night it might still work, doubt it. Do not make a choice based on my opinion, no mater how humble, go look for your self.
edwardf

City/Region: Corvallis, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Ontario
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: C22 new interior + Ranger 25 Reply with quote

I'm anxious to see the new interior (and the Ranger 25) at the Seattle show. Perhaps someone who is a photographer could post photo's of the new molded interior here on this website? I don't see current photos on the factory site.

Also I'd recommend reading the review of the Ranger 25 in the newest issue of Passagemaker. It's a nice boat with some issues.

Ed.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
go look for your self.

Or do like many are doing and buy a used one. You'll have just as much fun.

Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee and I were at the 2005 Seattle Boat Show looking for a trailerable boat that would be capable of doing the Inside Passage from Puget Sound to Alaska. It needed to be fuel efficient, have a tough hull that could take a beating, have an enclosed cabin that was heated, a galley, head and maybe even a shower. We were just about to close a deal on a Sea Sport 24 with an inboard diesel when we decided to take “one more look and the Skagit Orca”. After looking at the Orca we poked our heads back into the 25 C-Dory Cruiser and both said “wow look at all the storage that these cabinets have”. I also pointed out that the marine plywood (Decragard) cabinets could easily be modified. After the good folks from the factory explained the hull and performance differences of the Skagit Orca and C-Dory and the economy of the C-Dory we knew this was the boat for us. We just got back from the Portland Boat show, looked at all of the boats that we considered and have no buyer’s remorse. We enjoyed looking at all the other boats but didn’t pick up a single brochure for a different boat.

That said I agree with Tom; the 25 foot Ranger Tug is a beauty. It’s going to be a hit at the SBS! Thumbs Up

I also agree with Tom about the new molded cabinets. Dee and I have seen the new 22 with the molded cabinets and had some of the same observations as Tom. (we just aren’t as shy as Tom about sharing them) Wink We also visited the factory and looked at 2 new CD 25 cruisers under construction. One had the traditional marine plywood cabinets and the other had molded cabinets. I took some photos that I will post within the next few days. Tom has a 22 cruiser that has the plywood cabinets and took some time to check out the new molded cabinets and he can best analyze the differences between the old versus new cabinetry. I briefly looked at the 25 molded cabinets and noticed smaller openings and smaller storage under the feet of the forward looking seats. The molded cabinets didn’t appeal to me. Remember it was the spacious marine plywood cabinets that first caught our eye at the 05 SBS and was one of the main reasons we liked and bought the boat.

I also agree with Mike. It would have been nice to have a customer survey or something like it before making such a change that limits (IMHO) the utility of the interior and ability to easily make changes in the interior.

For those of you contemplating buying a new C-Dory you can make up your own minds. Go and take a look. I’m sure the current CD owners will be providing feedback to the good folks from the factory and dealers about the changes at the SBS.

Continued success to C-Dory and the C-Brats,

Don

Last edited by Knotty C on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:28 am; edited 4 times in total
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom... You use your boat. I bet your opinion and mine will be TARGET ON once I get to see the boat for myself...but, I go back to YOU USE THE BOAT...

I think that is the largest differance in me, you, most of our C-Brat gang here....and the C-Dory factory AND some of their latest directions/actions... for what ever the reasons, are slinging out newer hulls.... AND THEY DO NOT BUY OR USE THEM...

Now, Jeff and Scott really need to get their wives, get on the CD22 that was in the 06 SBS, then, go get on this newer pre-fab-blow and go version, and GO USE AND STAY ON THE BOAT, ON THE HOOK...FOR A FULL WEEKEND. MY bet is a large ....oh....this is what they are talking about would take place...

Sounds like the new "upgrade" is one that truly takes away from US, THE OWNERS, MUCH OF OUR ABILITIES TO CUSTOMIZE WITHOUT LARGE HASSLES.... to a great little boat...THAT WE CRUISE ON... not sell off concrete floors under the lights.

And, they very well could have a contact group that they are using for guidance, but my bet it is from folks who have owned, or thier careers have been centered around the other blow and go boats....that are not often trailered, and do not go in water less than 2'....like most of us ENJOY.

Now, ROB in TN: Go ahead and run if you want... but, I made an offer to you to get in the water on a CD22 that is USED A LOT, that is less than one hour from your hometown...and you have not followed up on it. You, particuarly, need to see several CD22s. Some of the later year changes I like, as do A LOT OF US WHO OWN AND USE THEM... and, it just might make the 2006 CD22 a "pricery" boat, if the new "form boat"... is as explained. Now, having met, joined Tom and his wife at gatherings, social events, partys at the factory, and via this virtual gang of friends... you can pretty much bank on his words.....as from a prespective of someone who truly loves....AND USES the boat. 22' boats are small. C-Dory's history with this hull, and the very easy owner modifications, made this a larger boat so to speak.

Cheers...and really looking forward to seeing many of my C-Brat friends at the SBS07 and hotel. And...for those of you who run from a C-Dory based on statements made on this site that might not be favorable, just take a look at some history, take a look at the numbers of ACTIVE WE USE OUR BOATS TO TRAVEL ANYWHERE THERE IS WATER....and we tell the good, the bad, and the ugly of OUR BOATS... Find another boating group that does this...go buy that boat...and let us know what you put your money into.

We just like good boats.

Byrdman..... going back to decafe...and that change might be too late..

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from the Portland boat show. I didn't see inside the cabin but I did take a good look at the cockpit.

I liked the new larger step they molded in and I liked the molded floor.

I didn't like the molded gunnel shelf and I'm not a fan of the glass door. THe door looks nice and would be good for visibility but I'm sorta paranoid that the door would be more inviting to tweakers but that's probably unfounded.

Id upload some cockpit photo's but for some reason it crashes my internet connection.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it in the other thread...the end of an era.

I'm sure this will raise a few eyebrows, but here goes...

Personally, I believe that the factory doesn't care all that much about what we think. They could have started a thread here asking the owners what we think of a molded interior. We would have given our opinions. They probably would have gone forward with whatever they were going to do anyway, but if our opinions really mattered, they would have at least asked.

They've already made their money from us (except in our case, we bought a used one.) Factories care about making money. Period. It's streamlining costs, increasing the profit margin. Ask any one of us who have worked in a factory of some kind or another.

I'm not suggesting that the factory folks aren't good people, but they are in business to make money. That is probably the driving force behind this dumb idea of a molded interior. I haven't seen it yet, but I know I will not change my mind.

I doubt the factory will be very likely to return to the wood interior now that they've put out the time and money for the molds for the new version. We can yak about it all we want here online, but I really don't think they care. It's quite unfortunate, really.

They are losing part of the appeal...the character...the personality of the boat. It's sad.

I agree with Mike, they get all kinds of feedback, good and bad, from us...for free...seems the least they could do is listen.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great and at the same time disturbing discussion of a tragic turn in the evolution of the C-Dory line.

I won't waste your time repeating the numerous thoughtful comments above.

But I will suggest we simply recommend to C-Dory that they provide the traditional interior as an option to the new molded fiberglass version, and let the buyers make the choice with their pocketbooks.

Personally, I'd prefer to buy a new boat with a wood-paneled Decraguard interior and a solid door, and pay more for it, if necessary.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:59 am; edited 3 times in total
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww sheesh, it will still be a helluva boat, and some people may find the new interior more to their liking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: