The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Autoplot with Rotary Drive Steering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Autoplot with Rotary Drive Steering Reply with quote

I am looking for an autopilot... the one I have now is just too expensive, not reliable, doesn't understand waypoints, and sometimes stays home cuz she doesn't want to fish... imagine that! Rolling Eyes

I've gone through pages and pages of stuff we have filed away concerning autopilot... most deal with hydraulic steering. Seen a couple concerning mechanical steering, but they didn't help me make a decision. Disgust

So I started searching the web for mechanical drives... I can only find three:

Raymarine SportPilot
Si-Tex SP70
Simrad AP14R

The SportPilot is out of manufacture... might find one somewhere on the net or on eBay though. I am a bit concerned buying one that is out of manufacture distribution though because it might be difficult to get service. In fact in a message from Raymarine the technicians stated "The primary reason for retiring it was the inavailability of several major components used to manufacture it."

I can't find much data on the Si-Tex product. Every site shows the hand-held control mechanism and not much else. Anyone know anything about the Si-Tex?

That leaves the Simrad... anybody using this? Pros/cons?

The Raymarine technician whom I quoted above also stated that I should think about retrofitting to hydraulic steering... anybody every done this?... what would it cost?... is it feasible?

Some of the information is not easily obtained. For examply I would like to be able to use the autopilot while trolling AND while cruising... but not necessarily at the same time. Laughing Also, I need to keep operation simple so my current autopilot don't need to punch too many buttons to disengage it to take over...Wink... in case of emergency you know...Shocked

Every item of feedback will be truely appreciated and number crunched... my buying window is within 30 days!

E.C.H.O.

bcnu,

ken
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken... We had a talk/thread going on this exact topic... and a very simple system that myself and some others saw at the Seattle Boat Show in Jan 06... It is dollar driven...and ... I think here is the link...

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=3604&highlight=auto+pilot
k3nlind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx Byrdman...

I read that thread when it started and again just now... some of the references in it go back to hydraulic steering (S1000, etc). In addition although the intellisteer looks much like the Simrad system it doesn't look like it has the ability to connect to GPS units and use waypoints... something I'd like to do. Also it specifically indicates it should not be used while cruising. Although it is interesting I am not so sure it fits what I want.

In addition, I received an email this morning from Si-Tex wherein they informed me that their solution will not work on my CD.

So there are two Simrad and SportPilot (out of production).

Again the question is: Is there anybody using the Simrad AP14R (non-hydraulic) on their CD and how well is it working?

Followup question: Has anyone converted their CD from mechanical to hydraulic steering? Cost? Pros/cons... etc.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this will sound pretty crude and low tech but I actually have considered picking up an old autohelm tiller pilot and modifying it to attach to my wheel. At least it would hold a magnetic course, and they are available used pretty cheap. Like $200 or less when you can find them.
k3nlind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally purchased and installed my autopilot.

A fine gentleman at Simrad stated that the Simrad AP14R is a direct replacement for what I had. He also stated that I would not be disappointed. On the contrary, my spouse and I are extremely pleased!

The installation took about four hours on each of two consecutive days. I really took my time because I didn't want to make any mistakes.

Along with the AP14R, which has a corded remote I purchased an AP12R controller which mounted at the helm. The remote controller I mounted at the starboard rear side just below the lazarette.

It really works well. Now when we hook fish we can quickly set the autopilot pointed toward open water and we can both fight the fish at the same time.

The Simrad works well at trolling speed and it also works well at cruising speed. Os course we always keep a watchful eye toward the fore just in case another boater happens to cut across our bow!

In addition to the autopilot, we added two top line Scotty down riggers just aft of the lazarette openings. Watch out fish here I come!

Here fishy, fishy...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still some of the old Auto Helm 3000 around. I am not sure if one of these belt drives could be adopted to the C Dory or not--depends on the wheel. I have a friend who has steered a 55 foot sailboat around the world twice with these (always has a lot of back up motors and gears)--plus an old Benmar when it gets real rough).
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great Ken. Could you post some photos of your installation ?

k3nlind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be glad to... but first I gotta get instructions, permission from Tyboo and a place to post Embarrased
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Sportpilot.... but diden't like the controls....so I added a ST6000+ controller....that did it... now it works well with my RayMarine chartploter/radar C-80...I also like the digital readout.

One thing was that it moved the wheel out about 1 1/2" and that make the distance between the wheel and the seat uncomfortable... the cure... what I did was change the mounting for the wheel...to one that mounts the wheel at a higher angle... kinda like tilt wheel.. works just fine .... I diden't like the stock seat...so I replaced it with a much nicer seat that sits higher, and has much better support. (also flips up)

Joel
SEA3PO
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3nlind wrote:

Quote:
Has anyone converted their CD from mechanical to hydraulic steering? Cost? Pros/cons... etc.

In answer to most of your questions: I am about to convert my 22 Angler to hydraulic. I have had it on other boats and loved it. The unit I am familiar with is the Baystar which is made for boats using power up to 150hp. They are pretty simple to install. I know on my 22 it won't take but about 3 hours and most of that time will be installing the cylinder at the motor. The price tag runs between 500.00 and 600.00 (Single Unit-One Motor) and it pays to let your fingers do the walking (Search Internet) for best pricing.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhalerGoFar wrote:
In answer to most of your questions: I am about to convert my 22 Angler to hydraulic.

I've been going back and forth about installing a Baystar and going to a hydraulic autopilot or keeping the mechanical system and using a mechanical autopilot. The only reservation I have involves installing the cylinder at the motor (Yamaha 75). Some folk say you have to loosen the engine mounts and move the engine around, others say it's not required. If I don't have to mess with the engine mounts, I think I'd do it sooner rather than later and do it myself rather than farm it out.

Take lots of pictures, Mike, especially doing the cylinder.

Don
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet the reason they quit producing the Sportpilot was all the returns. The first one we installed wouldn't work at all due to bad control compass. Second was just slightly better than nothing, very poor control of boat. Sent it back also.

Have twin Honda 40's. Switched to hydraulic steering, then added the old suicide nob and S1000 auto pilot. All worked fantastic. Have it connected into both the garmin 276 C and Computer nobletic software. Really looking forward to using it in this years Alaska cruise. Only drawback autopilot loses control under 2.5mph. Bad for trolling. Heard this problem has been corrected and now controls down to 1.5 mph, maybe lower.

I installed the auto pilot and had a boat repair place change out the hydraulic steering due to motors having to be removed and I didn't have a place to do it. They were in a hurry because it was just before July 4th and had the hose connection to the hydraulic cylinder reversed. Made for some excitement when we launched the boat at Bridge Bay on Yellowstone Lake. We're not that good around docks anyway and when we steered one way and the boat went the other and us wondering whether it was just another of our normal bad moments or what. Did take a little bit to mentally connect the dots. We gave the normal on lookers some good entertainment even after realizing what was wrong.

Bottom line---Highly recommend hydraulic steering and the S1000 auto pilot. Also the auto pilot can be controlled any where on the boat by a hand held remote

Last edited by Hunkydory on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay is right on.... I don't like the controls on the Sportpilot...and I think the internal compass did not work so well......after I added the ST6000+ controller it works very well.....but that was about $350 and you should not have to add the controller just to make it work properly.

If I had to do it over....I would convert to hydraulic steering and install a autopilot designed for that....

Joel
SEA3PO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: