The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Opinons on a CD22 with 1 or 2 kids.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Russell

City/Region: West Palm Beach
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Opinons on a CD22 with 1 or 2 kids. Reply with quote

Currently I sail a 18' boat, and while my wife and I have done three day trips on it, we have never brought our 18mo daughter. Its just too small.

I've been looking at CD22's as an option. A 25 would be a better fit, but its easily twice the cost when all is said and done, and that just isn't in the budget.

My thoughts are that we would put the kidlette (or kidlettes's as we plan to have a second) in the V berth and use one of the mods that makes the dinette into a real double. Probably put the stinkypot out on the deck. The reason I would put the kids in the V is:

1. I love my wife, but hate playing footsie all night.
2. I hate getting up for the call of nature and trying to finagle my way out of the V.
3. Kids go to be sooner than I or my wife, so they would have their own quiet place.
4. They would have less chance of sleepwalking out to the deck, and a bad guy would have to go through me to get to them. Protective momma and papa bears are dangerous.

Is anyone here overnighting with 1 or 2 kids (young kids), and how is it working for you? Where do you eat, as the dinette (even on the CD25) looks like it fits 2.

I would want to keep the whole 'shebang' under 5000k so I could tow with a midsized SUV (TrailBlazer, Envoy, etc).

Storage of stuff. Is the area under the V filled with foam, or is their room for storage?

Towing.. With the larger motors (90hpish) could one tow a water skier or a tube? Just thinking of further utility as kids grow.

I probably won't get to touch/see one until the Miami Boat Show, where I am also going to look at some other Power Boats and Sail Boats.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22' will work fine for several small kids... the bigger ones ya might just want to throw over.... the dinette is small but works well....and most of the time we are out side in the back room..... we moved the ice chest out there...and I suppose you could move the porta pot out there too...once you have a enclosure....
I can pull a small water skier...I can't get a large adult out of the water...but once up I probably could do it... tubes work great and kids love em...the C-Dory puts out a great wake so the kids love it...
I don't have any small kids, but somehow they are always around and love to go for a boat ride...mine are all grown up (physically)
My boat has twin 40 Yamaha's....I bet with twin 50's you could ski much better... the C-Dory is a really fun boat.
Ya might want to look at Fishtales photos to see what the boat looks like with a full enclosure.

Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dinette on the 22 is really cramped for more than one person (unless other conversions are done--and I cannot comment on these). The Portipotty is usually put in the isle or in the cockpit.

One other thought; I grew up (5 to 17 years of age) sleeping in the cockpit of a boat which had an interior smaller than the C Dory--an Airmatress, mummy sleeping bag and tarp were my "protection" but the camper canvas on the C Dory would give better protection.

I have not tried water skiing behind the C Dory, but have behind inflatables with 25 hp (getting up on two and dropping one)--I don't see any reason with the correct prop and a 90 that you could not ski behind a C Dory 22.

Sounds like a 22 is the way to go for you.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ron Bennie

City/Region: Calgary
State or Province: AB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alan:

You sound like me. Did you read the post I did "Can the 22 accommodate more than 3"? It's under Hull, Deck and Fittings. I got wonderful replies from so many people I admire on this site. Especially, take a look at Wayne's refits. There are definite opinions on what is workable mainly based on comfort levels and privacy. I hear everything you're saying though about towing weight and overall cost. I'll be interested to follow your search as you find what's best for you. Welcome to the discussion.

Ron B.
Alan Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Yep, I sure did Ron. Reply with quote

Good info for sure.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alan.....hopefully the dog and I will be in Florida the month of April... I would be pleased to give you and yer clan a ride....heck maybe we can tow yer kids around on a tube...I'll try..You can see first hand what kind of room is aboard.

Joel
SEA3PO
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,
Jim B. from the TSBB here. Told you these owners would have lots of good ideas for you! Dave on Sea Shift can likely enlighten you; he, his wife, and teenage daughter use their 22 a bunch. We spent a few hours with them on the docks at Deer Harbor and they sure seemed to be plenty comfortable.

Good luck with your search.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan --

Here are several tales of cruising with kids for extended periods of time on a CD-22:

The first is from last summer: http://www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/four.htm

The second is with two young kids and their Mom and the two of us -- two weeks on the Rideau and St. Lawrence. Marvelous time together.:http://www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/rideau.htm

We cruised for two weeks with two very small kids on the St. Johns River in FL. Little one in the crib in the cockpit with camperback covering her from the sun; hours of play on beaches; El (a former first grade teacher) having new activities every day to keep them amused) -- a great trip full of good memories with the two little kids, their Mom, and the two of us. (the kids still write stories for their teachers about this trip)

We had a three week cruise in the NW with two (just) pre teens and their Dad on our boat. They camped ashore most nights, in state parks, and loved rowing their dinghy in and setting up camp for themselves. They ate meals aboard, rowing 'home' after dinner or out to the boat for breakfast. Another cruise full of wonderful memories for all.

We are planning another cruise with those (now) teenagers this summer in the NW.

Go for it -- just a matter of attitude, we think, and it builds experiences and shared memories that will last a lifetime.

Alan Russell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El/Bill..

Love your stories. Great stuff, thanks.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Dave on Sea Shift can likely enlighten you; he, his wife, and teenage daughter use their 22 a bunch. We spent a few hours with them on the docks at Deer Harbor and they sure seemed to be plenty comfortable.
Jim B.

Hi Alan,.......Dave S. from "Sea Shift" here. The following is what works best for us. My wife and 17 year old daughter sleep in the V-berth and I sleep on the converted dinette bed. We learned on our first overnighter that it did not work well for us to have daughter Jessica sleep on the dinette bed because she is NOT an "early morning riser" Rolling Eyes Since, I go to bed quite late at night and usually awaken very early in the morning, I now sleep on the dinette bed and Carol and Jessica sleep in the V-berth. Then in the mornings, I awaken, fire up the coffee pot, transform the dinette bed back into the dinette configuration and then sit at the dinette reading and drinking coffee until the rest of the family awakens. (Additionally, at night our cocker spaniel sleeps under the dinette bed). Another advantage of having the girls sleeping in the V-berth is so they can both "sleep in if we decide to "cast off" in the early morning hours for another destination.
We have never tried towing a water skier behind us, but have done some "tubing" in the lake and the teenagers love it! (We have twin Johnson 50's).
In the evenings we have a "battery powered" DVD player that we set on top of the "kitchen counter" and the three of us sit on the dinette bed, with numerous pillows along the port side wall to lean back on and watch movies. (Kinda like sitting on a couch).
We have found the 22' much to our liking and it fits well into our lifestyle (our former 16' C-Dory was ok when Jessica was younger, but too cramped as she got older).
(I see that you are from Florida......Carol grew up in Miami and her brother still has a place in Key Largo).
Dave S.

C-Brat #16
Alan Russell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Coolnes Reply with quote

Jim..

Have you been out on your boat in the texas summer yet? I wonder how warmn the v gets.

The hatch I'm sure helps, but I would think two opening ports would be helpful too.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan-

The best solution short of a full air conditioning set up with a generator or shore power, is a Endless Breeze 3-speed Fan placed in the hatch with wooden dowels to make it stay in position:

This fan only uses about 1.6-2.8 amps on 12 volts, depending on the speed setting.

Dr. Bob of Thataway has noted that WalMart has an O2COOL fan that can be converted from 8 D cells to 12 volt DC use with a cigarette lighter style adaptor plug and some wire. The fan above is about $90, the O2COOL, about $15-20 !

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolnes Reply with quote

Alan Russell wrote:
Jim..

Have you been out on your boat in the texas summer yet? I wonder how warmn the v gets.

The hatch I'm sure helps, but I would think two opening ports would be helpful too.

Hi Alan,

No, we didn't get back to Texas until October... it was the warmest October on record, though. IF we stuck around these parts, overnighting on the boat in August, some kind of airconditioning would be a necessity. Check out Dr. Bob's A/C install on Thataway - very nice!

We intend to try to stay north in the summer and south in the winter. I understand with a youngin' (and another in consideration) that this may not work for your situation.

Using the boat when it is hot here hasn't been a problem... sleeping onboard when it's hot would be. Opening enough hatches and using fans concerns me... the skeeters here are kin to those you have in Florida. They are big enough to rip the door off the hinges and carry off small children.

Good luck with your decision making.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found that a screen over the v-berth hatch (velcro attached to the inside) and a screen covering the cabin door (snapped on and with a zipper opening) and the side windows with screen keeps out the bugs. Then, we hang the 12v. fan right at the cabin opening into the V-berth. Little kids crying due to stuffy warmth were asleep in less than a minute with this arrangement -- this in a FL springtime. Now, summer, that's different!
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: One or two kids Reply with quote

We had a Nimble Nomad-24' and only places for 3 sleepers. We traveled for several weeks at a time in Fla with another couple. Three of us were in the berths and one on the floor.

The 22 C-Dory would work OK for 4 persons with a camper back to house the potty. We always keep our ice chest in the cockpit but not much else as we do not have a camper back. With the camper back some of the clothing and storage items could be stowed in the cockpit at night.

We do not have air conditioning but with the forward hatch screened and at anchor you get every possible breeze. We have not had a problem with heat.

Note: A plastic urinal bottle really works well for the male gender and it does not rattle as much as the old coffee can during the day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: