View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Boat Safety/Information Card Reply with quote

We have always kept a boat safety/info card onboard our boats to let newbies read... kinda long the lines of the safety cards the airlines use. We keep the information light, but try to answer questions to make people feel at ease (like - how to use the potty/Can we move around in the boat?/What if I get seasick?/Is it safe??Use of life jackets). There is some descriptive stuff about the boat and a few photos to dress it up a bit. We had a non-boater onboard today, and he commented positively about the card. It gives them something to look at while we're getting the boat ready to go.

Also along those lines, we do carry an "In Case Of Emergency" card in each of our wallets, in the truck, and in the boat. The card tells who we are, a description of our boat and truck, a cell # where we can be reached, and a next of kin contact. I put new license plates on the truck, and updated the cards tonight to reflect that information. On the back side, I keep a list of phone numbers for our use... since we have all the numbers programmed into our cell phones, I don't have numbers for our daughter and our Mothers memorized (that sound familiar to anyone? Wink ).

We're gearing up to head out in the next few weeks and making sure our gear and info is up to date.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim B.

This is a good subject.

I learned in USCGAux that before I do a patrol, everything is explained, where the life jackets are stored, where the radio is, the first aid kit, the flares, the tool box, etc.

Your idea is an extension of the USCGAux approach.

I have thought of the same thing, but in a note book form, explaining by diagram where everything is stored. Then when somebody uses it, I will know and expect to find it where it I put it.

As you know, the USCGAux and the USPS gives out cards that can be pasted next to the radio as to how to use the radio. This is also important if anything happens to US.

Included should be instructions on how to read the GPS.

Remember, some boats get only one shot at the USCG radio room watchstanders. We have to let them know the name of our boat, how many aboard, nature of problem, and GPS reading. If we do not have a GPS, we ought to be able to explain to our crew how to take a bearing off the compass on a known object, like a light house.

Maybe you could give us an idea what info you have on the card?

Fred

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better still, since it looks like you created it and printed it, post it in the documents section (if you don't mind). We can adapt it for our boats then and be as safe and cunning as you (well almost as cunning or we'd already have one...) Rolling Eyes

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea.

We also have had "emergency proceedures" check lists for fire, flooding, abandon ship etc which we kept by the companionway.

Another very important bit of information to keep in the wallet is contact information for relitatives (next of kin). Any medical history, allergies and medications currently taken. These are all on one 2 1/2 x 3 (or so) printed on both sides and laminated in the front of the wallet.

When someone comes into an emergency room, it really helps the Triage Nurse and MD's to have any medical information available immediatly.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Harbor Man Dan

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Choice wrote:
post it in the documents section (if you don't mind). We can adapt it for our boats then and be as safe and cunning as you

This is a great idea I would love to get a better idea of a good comprehensive template.
Idea
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our saiboats, the card listed how to drop the sails, get the motor going, and use the radio to call on Channel 16 for help (in case something happened to Joan and me). We figured that most non-sailors wouldn't know what to do, and could use some guidance. The C-Dory is more like driving a car, and getting it back for a newbie should be less of a concern; so, less emergency stuff on this new version.

We once had a couple say, "This looks really professional. I know you know your stuff and we won't need it, but it's nice that you provide it." I do a "pre-flight" briefing anytime we take out someone new, regardless of their experience level (old pilot training).

Now, having said that, I have those cards on Apple "Pages" software (my first document using that new software), and I haven't figured a way to get it into a word-processing format to post on the Documents forum. Ideas? It is an easy "drop-in" program, but has no provision for capturing text and graphics together to transfer. I tried a "screen grab", but that would have it in a jpg format and is less than great for legibility. I'm open to suggestions.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Jim and Anne

City/Region: Cape Cod
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: CompanionShip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Boat Safety/Information Card Reply with quote

Hello Jim,
You should be able to export the pages as pdf files which will be readable with Acrobat Reader. You should also be able to export as a Word document. Look under the pull down File menu for "Export" or it might be one of the "Save as" options.
Jim
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not doing that......if they are aboard and I am not....I hope they drowned.... as they are stealing my boat.

Have you noticed the airlines quit putting barf bags in the seats ??? wonder if they found a cure for that ??

Joel
SEA3PO
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
I am not doing that......if they are aboard and I am not....I hope they drowned.... as they are stealing my boat.

Have you noticed the airlines quit putting barf bags in the seats ??? wonder if they found a cure for that ??

Joel
SEA3PO

Why do they need barf bags when they've got that little pocket that the magazines are in? Always wondered about that! Cry Had an acquaintance once that collected those bags and used them for lunch bags. Some fellow naval folk and I collected a couple 747 plane loads of them one day and I fedexed them to him, heard that he opened them during a staff meeting.... Crook

Charlie
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Boat Safety/Information Card Reply with quote

Jim Canavan wrote:
Hello Jim,
You should be able to export the pages as pdf files which will be readable with Acrobat Reader. You should also be able to export as a Word document. Look under the pull down File menu for "Export" or it might be one of the "Save as" options.
Jim

OK, I've got the pdf file... but it is 4.9 mg and the file limit here is 1 mg. "Word"... not for this Mac-boy! Wink I transferred the file in the pdf format as "good" instead of "better" or "best", and still get the same 4.9 mg. Ya know, since I made my living in the digital imaging world, I thought I was pretty savvy. Our commercial clients always needed BIG tiff or raw files. I haven't had to transfer a file to a BB, so I appreciate any suggestions.

TIA,
Jim
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Jim C., I was able to get the file transferred to a PDF and uploaded into the Documents forum. I appreciate the suggestions, Jim, and hope it downloads OK.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came out "nice". Are you all doing charters?

Regards,
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No charters for us, Dr. Bob. Since we live in a resort-type area, we do have frequent visitors. I was offered a job as a day charter captain recently, but right now we're enjoying no schedules, no employees, and no customers (though we did have some truly fine folks as clients). My full-time job these days is trying to duck honey-do projects that the Blonde comes up with. On tomorrow's list is changing out a couple of those plastic hot water line fittings that you know and love.

I hope our paths will cross when we head east soon; it would be a pleasure to meet you in person.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very professionally done Jim.
_________
Dave
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
Very professionally done Jim.
_________
Dave

Thanks, Dave. How's the "surgery" on C-Voyager coming? Will the new name be: C-Vooooooooyager? Wink C-Stretch?

Best wishes,
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: