The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Radar questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Radar questions Reply with quote

Would appreciate opinions on what would be the an adequate radar reflector for a 22 CD. Would like to attach it to the anchor lite mount. BEST REFLECTOR FOR LEAST COST.

Also our JRC 1500 Radar SHM [ships heading marker] on the monitor is always off 40 degrees to starboard. I have did the Relative Bearing Alignment procedure and that just creates the ELB [electronic bearing line] as a substitute for the SHM still off 40 degrees to starboard. In other words a object that I'm heading directly for shows on the radar monitor as 40 degrees off to the starboard and when I try to align it all I get is the EBL off the same amount marking the object. I have tried physically moving the radar scanner unit with no success either.

If I set up a route or waypoint and have it as a go to on the radar screen with the gps signal then the SHM is accurate. I can get by this way because most of the time when radar is needed I would be following a route or at least going to a waypoint but would like to know if I'am doing something wrong [most probable] or if something is actually wrong with the radar.

I first noticed this last fall on Yellowstone Lake when I was practicing with the radar on a on coming boat and the boat wasn't where it should have been on the radar. Could have been a bad deal if we had actually been in the fog.

Jay

Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay:

From your description, it sounds like you're doing half of the adjustment procedure, which is as follows:

Warm the unit up in the transmit mode for 10 minutes. Then, enter the Installation Adjustment menu by pushing and holding the Joystick in until the Installation Adjustment menu shows (about 5 seconds).

Select BEARING from the Installation Adjustment menu. When you do a dotted EBL will show on the screen. Using the Jog-Dial turn it left or right until the EBL is on top of the target that should be dead ahead, then push the Joystick once. Turn the Jog-Dial again to move the EBL on top of the solid SHM (ship’s heading marker line) and push the Joystick again. This should rotate the picture the difference amount you have just set.

To do this accurately, you should be on the water, with a target lying dead ahead and the display on the 6nm range setting. To see if the procedure works, you can power the unit up while the boat is on the trailer, and see that the image rotates.

Let me know if this solves the problem.

david

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

Yes!!!! Thanks so much---the image rotates and problem is solved.

The JRC instruction manuel had me lost. Everything clear in a matter of minutes with your directions. Hate to say how much time I spent on this last fall.

Thanks again,

Jay
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay:

Glad to hear that your adjustment problem is solved, and hope you fully enjoy your unit. They're really pretty good.

david
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must take someone from Wyoming to consider the possible need for a radar reflector on a 22. Didn't think we would show up to good on someone else's screen in the fog, but if you in the North West don't have an opinion at all on this maybe its a waste of money for us. Was considering one of those less expensive reflectors from West Marine and wondered if anyone had experience with them. Going to spend time in the Icy Strait area of Alaska Inland Passage where chances of fog are pretty good. With our limited allotted time we hate to hold up unless absolutely necessary but like to cover our rears as much as possible. Are they really needed? Do they work?

Jay
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,
If you type "radar reflector" in the search block above you will get a lot of good discussion about the subject. I asked the same question last year and after all the replies I would say definitely maybe. I think there are so many variables that in any given situation it may help or not. They are fairly low cost and since it can't hinder and may help I would say get one. The type I have is very low profile and the smallest of any I have seen. I got it from West Marine (Tri-Lens Radar Reflector.) Last September while on a cruise I asked a couple of C-Brats with radar to check how my boat looked on their screen. In some cases I showed a little better than another C-Dory without a reflector and on other headings and orientations they reported no difference. The conditions were clear wx and smooth water. I guess I can't really draw any conclusions from that-but as I said earlier, it may help and it certainly can't hurt. I think the higher you can mount a reflector the better it will be-sailboats have a real advantage from that standpoint. Good luck.

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Radar Flag. I have had folks check it with and without it deployed. The have said the target is bigger with the flag deployed. I is certified and it looks nice.
One note, in Canada you are required to have a radar reflector on your boat.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Believe it or not Embarassed I did search like you said before asking this question. Just got lost in the maze before finding what I wanted. After reading your post and looking just a little longer----found more information than I could read in quite awhile. Quite abit from you. Thanks for your patience and further information.

Thanks also to Anita Marie. Is the Canada requirement new, if not we got by with our ignorance in 2004.

Jay
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inexpensive "Davis" Radar reflector is very good. It stows easily flat, and then can be deployed when necessary. I would not leave one up all of the time. Also, it needs to be out of the "beam" of the radar, which is about 30 degrees in the vertical plane. (15 degrees above the radar dome center. You can make a simple attatchment bridle for the light--snap it in place when necessary.

We have used a number of different reflectors on boats--and found this Davis to be almost as good as ones which cost many times more--and are much more bulky.

Bob Austin

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Anita Marie"]I have a Radar Flag. I have had folks check it with and without it deployed. The have said the target is bigger with the flag deployed. I is certified and it looks nice.

Any pictures of how you fly it and how it looks?

Do you have the U.S. ensign or the U.S. yacht ensign. Under Flag Etiquette, I read the U.S. ensign should be flown from the rear and the yacht ensign from the bow.

Would you or anyone else know if either could be flown from the anchor lite on a 22 c-dory? That is the highest point on our boat.

Really like the flag idea for a radar reflector.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The inexpensive "Davis" Radar reflector is very good. It stows easily flat, and then can be deployed when necessary. I would not leave one up all of the time. Also, it needs to be out of the "beam" of the radar, which is about 30 degrees in the vertical plane. (15 degrees above the radar dome center. You can make a simple attatchment bridle for the light--snap it in place when necessary.

We have used a number of different reflectors on boats--and found this Davis to be almost as good as ones which cost many times more--and are much more bulky.

Bob Austin

Bob---that the one we were originally considering. Was hoping someone like you could verify what you did.

Thanks,

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: