View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Navigation Software Wars... Reply with quote

Powerboat Reports has a pretty good write-up on the current warfare going on among various navigation software manufacturers.

If you're in the market, you might want to look at the article:
http://www.powerboat-reports.com/index.html

Here are their "conclusions:"
"Your software selection will be guided by your need to support multiple computers, the type of interface supported by your devices (NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000, Seatalk, NavNet, Simnet, etc.), budget, and time available to learn.

If you have a Macintosh computer on board, then you’ll be happy with MacENC.

Our favorite Windows packages for pleasure boating are Chart Navigator Pro from Maptech or the Coastal Explorer from Rose Point.

If budget is the primary issue, then Fugawi offers the least expensive PC product here.

If you need to support multiple computers with redundancy, then Nobeltec Admiral and MaxSea are your choices.

If you have Furuno NavNet, buy MaxSea with the NavNet module. MaxSea has the most comprehensive feature list, but when configured with every available module (Pro edition is $4,400), it is by far the most expensive.

So long as NMEA 0183 remains in common usage, proprietary networks such as those provided by Raymarine’s Seatalk, Fugawi/MaxSea NavNet, and Nobeltec will continue to be necessary for many boats. As NMEA 2000 gains traction over the next few years and Ethernet becomes more common for high-bandwidth transfers, we expect that navigation software will be relieved of much of the responsibility for networking and that navigation software will be forever changed. Based on this test, PBR believes Chart Navigator Pro/Coastal Explorer, and MacENC (for Macintosh users) are in the best position to adapt to the changes coming in marine navigation software. "

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

With all those choices, I think I will stick with paper charts and a hand held GPS. Then I can spend more time enjoying my boating.

Happy Sailing

Fred

smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link only lets me see the first few paragraphs of the article without paying for a subscription, but I continue to prefer Fugawi. I'm headed for Costa Rica in January (on a plane, not a boat; I wish Smile and I'm renting a car. I'm taking my laptop with GPS antenna and maps of Costa Rica scanned and calibrated at home, along with a hand-held Geko-101. I hope I'm not speaking prematurely when I say I expect this to be sufficient for getting about the country without getting too lost.

The only thing better than Fugawi would be a comprehensive open-source GPL-ed program like an enhanced gpsdrive. I'm a retired programmer, and working toward that goal, as a hobby. Anyone interested with a similar bent, I'd be glad to send them a copy of my programming, though it's not nearly ready for doing any real navigation yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I already have a Raymarine chartplotter I use their free RayTech planning software. The thing I like is that I can use my Navionics chip with it so that way I'm looking at the same maps on my pc and chartplotter. Also their planning software looks like the c-80's panel so it's pretty easy to use.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayTech planning software ??? did it come with the unit ?? I don't remember that...but it sure would ge good to have... I also have a C-80... but it would be nice to have somthing on my laptop to work with.

Joel
SEA3PO
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
RayTech planning software ??? did it come with the unit ?? I don't remember that...but it sure would ge good to have... I also have a C-80... but it would be nice to have somthing on my laptop to work with.

Joel
SEA3PO

No it didn't come with the c-80 but you can download it here:

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/Default.asp?site=1&Section=2&Page=1535&Parent=710

THey have a retail version with some more functionality but for me the free version will do. If you want to use the navionics chip to get the maps on your computer you will have to buy the card reader. Cheapest price on that unit I could find was about $75 online. Hope this helps.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smittypaddler wrote:
I continue to prefer Fugawi.

The only thing better than Fugawi would be a comprehensive open-source GPL-ed program like an enhanced gpsdrive. I'm a retired programmer, and working toward that goal, as a hobby. Anyone interested with a similar bent, I'd be glad to send them a copy of my programming, though it's not nearly ready for doing any real navigation yet.

I have been looking at Fagawi for some time. I will make up my mind at the Seattle Boat Show. I want to use whatever I get on my Dell AXIM Pocket PC so I am leaning towards Fawawi, Maptech, or Rose Point Navigation Software.

I would be real interested in the program you are working on. What do you need to run the program? How large is the program? Can it be zipped and emailed or can I download it from somewhere.

________
Dave
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program, called chartview, is written in Perl, using the GTK2 module, in the Linux OS. It's about 7,000 lines of source, so far, and though Perl runs in windoze, I've done all my development on Linux. Some tailoring would undoubtedly be needed for it to run in windoze. I've calibrated in chartview the same set of charts for the Great Loop that I use in Fugawi. They all just fit on a 640M cd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the link has been posted, I have posted this link about three times before, there is a thread on it, and I was really surprised that there was so little apparent interest or response at the time. It IS everything Navionics NavPlanner was supposed to be, remember the hype about that? Well, RayMarine RayTech Planner (which is just the regular Raytech RNS 6.0 running without a license installed) is free, works great, and should be considered indispensible for the connection between your PC and RayMarine C / E series chartplotter. You can install downloaded NOAA charts in RayTech Planner if you don't want to buy their cardreader, these work great for route planning. A $15 cardreader from Wally World will let you transfer routes and waypoints between your computer and chartplotter.

Now, though, it looks like I will need to buy MacENC for onoard computer navigation on my MacBook to backup the RayMarine!

SEA3PO wrote:

Joel
SEA3PO

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone of the Mac-persuasion here used MacENC? I downloaded their demo program a while ago and couldn't get it to read the free ENC charts... operator error, I'm sure. Crook

Since we travel with the laptop (but have not used it for navigation), might as well put it work for that, as well.

Has anyone tried running the Raymarine RayTech Planner with one of the Windows emulators (or whatever they're called these days... I'm retired, I get to say stuff like that now Wink ) on the Mac?

TIA

Best wishes,
Jim B.

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the RayTech Planner but have not used it much. Could you clarify a couple of points?

It sounds like there is a special card reader to use the navionics cards with the PC and RayTech Planner? what would happen if I put my navionics into the standard card reader?

I seem to recall that you can create waypoints and routes in the RayTech and save to a CF card and then transfer to the C80. Is that what you are saying to get the $15 card reader for? My PC has a built in CF slot so this should work.

I think the free version of RayTech Planner will not accept a GPS input and act as a chartplotter on your notebook - is that true? Can you use the purchased version as a chartplotter?

I will need to get more familiar with the Planner for our late summer trip to the San Juan's this year. Last trip there was 2004 when I bought the boat.

Thanks,
Steve
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The navionics card reader is only needed if you want to upload their charts for use in the raytech software. For me it's worth it because it's nice to use the same maps.

Otherwise you can use a regular card reader to upload waypoints ect to the raytech software.

I don't know about using the free version with a laptop. Maybe someone else knows.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabran wrote:
What would happen if I put my navionics into the standard card reader?

Don't know - it wouldn't work, and I would be concerned it might damage it, but I really don't know that.

seabran wrote:

I seem to recall that you can create waypoints and routes in the RayTech and save to a CF card and then transfer to the C80. Is that what you are saying to get the $15 card reader for? My PC has a built in CF slot so this should work.

Exactly - this is how I use the RayTech Planner, to create waypoints and routes on my computer and transfer them to the C-80 via the el cheapo CF card.

seabran wrote:

I think the free version of RayTech Planner will not accept a GPS input and act as a chartplotter on your notebook - is that true? Can you use the purchased version as a chartplotter?

Well, again, I don't know for sure, but the RayMarine site says without the license it operates in "planning mode" - and I guess it would be a lot to expect for RayMarine to enable GPS functionality in the free version.

All the same, with the el cheapo CF cards and downloaded NOAA charts, this is a GREAT program for anyone with a C80 / E80 system in my book!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used laptops/built in computers on larger boats, but came to the conclusion that on the C Dory sized boats that chart plotters were probably a better shot. Maptech I believe still has all of the US charts on DVD and Offshore Navigator lite for $50--a great buy and we keep it on all of our computers for planning--and back up if we had a problem with a plotter.

For plotters we like to compare both C map and Navionics, thus have two different units. The Lowrance 7" hard drive chart plotter has all of the US charts, and is nearly as good as the C map "Max" series. Both have tides and currents. The Lowrance uses NMEA 2000--and this opens up a lot of possabilities as engines, flow meters and AIS become available on this protocol.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ben

City/Region: Baltimore
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Ben (Name-TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a rather smallish (12" screen) laptop running Maptech Navigator Lite with charts covering the entire Chesapeake. I have been quite pleased with the set-up. For roughly $129 (already had laptop and USB-GPS) I have a very detailed chart-plotter program in which I can plan routes in advance (at home); It has all of the data windows that I need (Course over ground, bearing, cross track error, speed, etc.) And these data windows are customizable.

I have found that the laptop stays put very well, even in quite choppy water. In fact I don't remember it sliding any, and don't have to strap it down. I don't think that it obstructs my view too much, but it is also very nice to be able to fold down the screen and have it out of the way when not needed, something much less easy to do with a chart plotter.

My biggest problem with the set-up is a technical glitch in which I have had the program lose connection with the GPS, or take a long time to recognize the GPS or get a fix. I have had this happen a couple of times. This obviously is very frustrating when you are depending on the unit for navigation.

I do have an old Magellan Meridian Platinum that I could use for back-up but haven't thus far. I am considering purchasing one of the newer hand-held color GPS models as a back-up to this. I also am looking at the Navigator Pro package but the $500 gives me pause.

I couldn't figure out how to post a photo into this message, but I uploaded one to my folder which shows the setup while navigating toward the Kent Narrows bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: