View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: microwave/generator Reply with quote

I am interested in powering a small microwave. Is anyone using the 1000 watt generators for this? If so, does it work on full power or do you use reduced power setting? I like the compact size and weight of the 1000 and could find room for one aboard if it would run the oven. Or would I be better off with the larger, heavier, more expensive, thirstier, noisier 2000?
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the small Sunbeam, etc., microwaves you can use full power. Where the larger generator is nice is toaster ovens, small fry daddy, etc., all seem to run 1200w. If you purchase wisely, a regular toaster can be found and a 600w microwave is pretty common.
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas, I run a Yamaha 1000 that powers my 400 watt Sharp Half-Pint. It needs 760 watts so powering it is not a problem. It sports a rotating carousel, handles a big plate, and fits inside my original ice-box(door removed). These are fine units. The one on Adeline was purchased 20 years ago and still works like new. In fact, I also have one in my kitchen at home. These low power units aren't made anymore but can regularly be found on E-bay. Expect to pay $80-$100. The model you want is the R-1M50. A later model, R-1M53 can also be used but requires a bit more power. Newer ones need too much for a 1000 watt generator. Here is what I use http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250061134215&rd=1&rd=1

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I beat the system on the miocrowave-generator game:

The first part of the problem is that the Honda EU100i generator puts out about 750-850 watts on a continuous basis, but will handle pretty close to 1000 watts max for short periods.

Next, the typical small microwave generally available consumes 600-700 watts once it's running, but the start up surge can be one and a half or more times that.

The easy way out is to use an inverter of 700 or more watts continuous rating, which will handle 1800 or more watts of surge for short periods.

The inverter can be used to power the microwave for most uses without even starting the generator. You can choose to recharge what power is used by either running the main motor or the generator, or even shore power later if your total reserve power in your system is large enough.

The 700 watts of the microwave probably requires 750-800 watts of input power to produce 700 net watts, and 750- 800 watts divided by the imput voltage of 12 volts equals about 65 amps, not too much more than a good, powerful windlass.

I have 4 group 27 deep cycle marine batteries on board, and the 460 total amp hours allows me to use the microwave as much as I want to without starting any motors or generators. It's a lot easier also to be able to use the microwave without pulling out the generator or starting the main motor.

I do have the Honda EU 1000i on board, though, for use as needed for other appliances and to run my engine mounted electric trolling motor for extended periods.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A microwave is a current hog. My 1600 watt mmicrowave stalls my 3.5 KNW Honda. Now shopping for a larger generator because being without power for days stirs up the kitchen slave. Smaller microwave isn't on her agenda yet. !.5 times regular draw, as Joe sez, is about right. Mine runs 1.7, checked on a $3,000 tester. (For a fee, of course.)

Dusty

flagold

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like what you need, Dusty, is a 4000KW Onan. That should do it. Comes with a neat carrying case:

>Onan<
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fry Daddy ??? Yum !! I had not thought about one of those....but that would make the deal for me....just think about it....Fish and Chips ...Yeow that sounds good..

Joel
SEA3PO
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the posters above. I believe the best set up is to run the microwave off an inverter so you can use it at your convenience. Then use the generator to charge your batteries back up when you want. I use a GE JE740WK microwave. It is designed to be hung and is skinnier (front to back) than most .7cf microwaves. If I remember right it draws 900 watts and cooks with 700watts. You can see photos of the install here:

http://www.msnusers.com/C-DoryRedFox/bestday.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=222

Good luck with whichever route you decide to go.

Bill
Adeline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=3286&highlight=inverter has some great tips if you're going for an inverter.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run an 800 watt "mechanical" microwave (no digital controls, just power settings and a spring loaded timer) off an 1800 watt inverter or the Honda EU 2000i (which is close to 16 amps). I think it would be pushing it to run most microwaves on the 1000 honda.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Operating a microwave with a 1000 watt genarator Reply with quote

The power rating most manufactures use for a microwave is the output of the wave guide typically 600-700 watts. If you look in you manual for the input voltage and currant or the input wattage you will probally find that a 600 watt output microwave has an input off 1050 Watts. A little to much for a 1000 watt generator. Solution would be to find a very small microwave as mentioned earlier or use an invertor witch was what I use in my currant boat or a 2000 watt generator. I am not a C-dory owner yet but am selling 2 boats this winter so that I can be. Have been reading the site for about a year now. This is my first post here.

Adeline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard JK, You sure picked a great day for your 1st post. I need to correct the wattage that I claimed for my microwave oven. It(R-1M50) is 860 watts. The R-1M53(in my kitchen) is 960 watts. The Yamaha 1000 powers them both. Here is a shot of the R-1M50 aboard Adeline inside the useless ice-chest. I'm going to jerk the cooler and install some cabinetry down the road. Maybe even a rollup(appliance garage) door.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea....a roll up door...I like it... I threw out that useless ice box and made drawers in that spot using West Marine teak drawer fronts.... and custom made drawers made to go all the way back to the hull surface...top one is deep, bottom one is shallow...it works fine for me. but using a rollup would not only look good, but be out of the way when in use.... One of the neat things about this site is the creativity of some of you'all...a pretty impressive group of friends.

Joel
SEA3PO
flagold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sunbeam was less than $50 at Wally World (GE had a cheapie too). Rotary knob like the one above, looks exactly like the small no-frills ones you find in a convieniance store. The Honda 1000 runs it just fine.
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Wave Box Reply with quote

I just got the new Cabela's Spring 2007 Edition 1 catalog. On page 205, item CH-51-7693 is what is being called the Wave Box AC/DC Portable Microwave as a new product. I know nothing of this item and tried to Google the name, but I struck out. Maybe some of you internet detectives can research and comment.

Some food for thought.

John
Swee Pea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: