View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Puffin

City/Region: Issaquah
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Puffin
Photos: C-Puffin
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Relief bands Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
We are expecting a new C-Dory in April. Since my past boating experience has included either hanging over the side or being so drowsy I could hardly stand, I thought I would investigate some new motion sickness remedies. I've been reading about the Relief Bands and they have gotten good reviews from people who have tried them. These are the ones with the electronic stimulation, I have tried the accupressure bands and they didn't help me. Any feedback would be great.

Laurie
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbin has finally figured out that when it gets rough out it isn't the ham that is making her sick. She has started using the bands and taking ginger when things get lumpy. She has been able to eat a ham sandwich and ride a three foot chop without a problem. I think she would say they work.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I've heard that ginger works good....must be eh.
Laurie, one good thing about the C-Dory hull design is that you don't get that constant rolly-polly gut churning action like you do in a V hull, with the flatter bottem you still get to feel the swells but not nearlly as bad. We've been out in the ocean and watched people chumming all around us while fishing and not noticed the water being especially rough. You'll do fine...or...another good thing about C-Ds...they're easy to clean Smile

C-Puffin

City/Region: Issaquah
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Puffin
Photos: C-Puffin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm counting on the fact that the C-Dory hull won't give me that constant rocking motion that has really been the kiss of death for me. In our old boat we were typically trolling fishing or following a dive buoy - both of which require a lot of slow movement and just rolling on the waves. Our boat also did have a deep v hull which I'm sure didn't help. I think I will give the relief band a try. Thanks!

Laurie
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie,

We have no actual hands on experience with the Relief Band but I read several positive reviews. Convinced and hopeful that my wife might gain some relief from the malady of the sea, I purchased one at the SBS for $79 (make sure that you get the model with the replaceable battery) at Boaters World. I will test the power of the Relief Band on a good friend this March, so you can email us if you would like to know the results. Our hope is that Ralph will finally stay off our boat.

Jerry

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well heck-- I used to have one of the best fish calls on the boat, chum'em while I call'em. Used to get sick about 85% of the time we went out. I would take Meclazine (sp) and that was about the only thing that would work for me. I tried the spray that would spray under the tongue- didn't work. Forget the "relief bands", they didn't work either. If we kept on the move or were trolling, I was ok. But when we stopped to drift was when I would start calling the fish.
Since we got the C-DORY, we've been out --- oh-- I don't know how many times, but we have almost 400 hours on the meter in all kinds of water, mill pond calm to 9' at 8 seconds waves with 20+ winds. We've cruised, trolled, drifted and just sat on anchor and I've still yet to get sick.
The main thing is to keep your mind occupied with the operation of the boat and don't give yourself time to get sick. You will become adjusted to the movement in time.
Enjoy your boat-

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: ...another thought. Reply with quote

I tried the wrist bands several years ago, and didn't get any help. Meanwhile, a friend on the boat swore by them. I suspect there may be a bit of a "faith" issue at play. If you have faith in them, they have a better chance of working. Have never seen or tried a battery version.

As mentioned earlier, the old standby (Dramamine) works very well, but for me it's mainly because I'll be asleep! On the recommendation of a friend I tried a product called Bonine (an over-the-counter product adjacent to the Dramamine). I found that it works SO well, I take one if there is even the possibility of getting sick. As far as I can tell there are absolutely no side effects (drowsy, headache, dry mouth, etc.). I keep a package in the first-aid kit...just in case.

Good Luck,
Casey
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fan of the relief band myself. I fished out of Newport with the same crew all summer Did some experimenting between three of us (the forth has an unbelievable tolerance for motion at sea. He has actually layed down in the v-berth read a book and ate bbq'ed pork while drifting for halibut out at the chicken ranch) anyhow the rest of us all experience some degree of sea sickness once the motor is shut down and you start drifting
Had one relief band between us whoever was in the worst shape got to use it as long as the captain was okay (hey it is mine). In the name of science I gave it up on numerus occasions and feel that it worked very well.

Two out of three experienced significant relief the moment it was put on
The third only got mild relief and went to a patch later in the season
Has a residual effect in that when you take it off your fine for x amount of time (20 min to 4 hours) a bit unexpected
Carry extra batteries
It does give a bit of a jolt to the wrist even on lower settings typical setting for us was 2 or 3
You need the conductive jell for it work best
The West Marine kit is nice with a case, extra batteries, battery holders, 2 tubes of jell and spare battery cover.

One other caveat the more time spent at the Rouge brewery the night before the less effective it became.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
wailedcentipede

City/Region: canada
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Blue Jay
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
Rick, I've heard that ginger works good....must be eh.
Laurie, one good thing about the C-Dory hull design is that you don't get that constant rolly-polly gut churning action like you do in a V hull, with the flatter bottem you still get to feel the swells but not nearlly as bad. We've been out in the ocean and watched people chumming all around us while fishing and not noticed the water being especially rough. You'll do fine...or...another good thing about C-Ds...they're easy to clean Smile
"they're easy to clean" ... lol .. how could you Mr. Green
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: