rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Dan - without you here, we were missing considerable engineering (and BS'ing) talent to solve various problems. While some of us could pitch in on the BS'ing side (thank god for BC there), the engineering we had to struggle through.

Bob - while I agree with the theory, I still have a gut feeling that Kleen Heat is correlated with Wallace problems, but I guess I'll never get the hoped for poll....

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting thread. Per Karl's advice I'd been running 100% mineral spirits. Then I decided to try odorless(more refined)100% mineral spirits. Much better. Then, I tried Klean-Heat. It is a little slower on start-up and I think it burns a little cooler. When I get my laser-thermometer I'll post the results here. Very clean burning. Low odor. Then, I accidently topped off a gallon of 100% mineral spirits with a gallon of Klean-Heat and guess what ? It worked great! So they're compatible if you need to mix them. BTW, my Wallas is a '92 so I'm not sure if its duel requirements match those of the newer stoves.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
duel requirements
Fuel Requirements
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
some extra fuel gets dumped in before brains figure it out.

and it is this fuel that is the source of the smoke under the counter, smoke smell in the cabin encountered many times on re-light. The shroud surrounding the burner is siliconed along the edges and if not perfect, you'll get the smoke if it is overloaded with fuel. I have watched it with a flashlight come curling out. Unless you get the afterfire, it won't overload, and thus you'll never notice it (because it worked properly). Once you start having the afterfire, all kinds of worms can come out of the Wallas if not the simple problem (lifting the hose out of the fuel) above.

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info. As some of you know I work part time selling tools at Home Depot and noticed the other day that we are now carrying Kleen Heat. HD might be an alternative source for those of you looking for it and having a hard time finding it.

On a related note, Three sources, two dealers at the SBS, plus Les at EQ, tell me I can/should burn kerosene in my Webasto. Its supposed to extend the life of the unit and eliminate any diesel smell (not that I had any to begin with.)

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Joe, I don't know about that clamshell idea. Has anyone else done that to a Wallas? I'd like to do something to eliminate the windage/backdraught problem.

John

I think the clamshell idea is worth a try, so when I was down at Marine General in Duluth earlier this week I picked up a 2" x 2" clamshell vent for about $8. It had three mounting holes; the one at the apex I ground off because it didn't match anything. The two at the open end were spaced 1 5/8" apart and the bolt spacing on my Wallas exhaust flange is 1 1/4". So I just squeezed the clamshell in a vice until the holes matched. When I give this a try this spring, I'll aim the clamshell toward the stern. The Wallas exhaust is 1" in diameter and the ID of my altered clamshell is about 3/4" x 3/4", so I'm hoping I'm not introducing a restriction. I'm also hoping I don't scorch the side of the boat by directing hot exhaust gasses along side it. Anyway, I think it's worth a try as an attempt to solve the backdraught issue. I'll keep you posted.
Al

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose,

If you can get it to backfire consistantly you will probably go faster as you will have a rudimentary jet engine providing extra thrust !!!
Of course you migt turn in circles since it is assymetric thrust then you will need an auto-pilot to correct it, and extra tanks for the diesel....

Merv Laughing
Pamlicopirate

City/Region: Chocowinity
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Just One More
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Same exhaust problem Reply with quote

I know this is an older post but recently bought a tomcat and having the same issues. Did your clam shell solve your exhaust problem or have you tried anything else.
MOOSE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this is ancient history, but I did indeed install the clamshell and it works fine. It didn't restrict the exhaust flow or discolor the gel coat in any way. How much it helps the situation overall, I couldn't say, but it surely doesn't hurt to try it.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:
Man, this is ancient history, but I did indeed install the clamshell and it works fine. It didn't restrict the exhaust flow or discolor the gel coat in any way. How much it helps the situation overall, I couldn't say, but it surely doesn't hurt to try it.

MOOSE, did you install the clamshell to keep water from entering the exhaust line? Sorry I can't find why you were putting it on. Glad it worked, especially if that is what you were trying to accomplish.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

MOOSE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
MOOSE wrote:

MOOSE, did you install the clamshell to keep water from entering the exhaust line? Sorry I can't find why you were putting it on. Glad it worked, especially if that is what you were trying to accomplish.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

No, I put it on as a baffle to prevent a side wind from interfering with the exhaust gases and thereby contributing to a Wallas black-out and shutdown. Whether this idea has any merit is open to discussion, but then that could be said of a lot of the things I've done. But it hasn't done any harm.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the guys at Scan Marine when retrofitting a used Wallas into our boat which never had one installed from the factory. They felt the 3 foot exhaust hose the factory used was not adequate to provide the upward loop needed to prevent water into the system. They sold me an exhaust hose a foot longer than the standard hose. They also were pretty clear that at least our unit (95D), regular diesel is the fuel to use.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually shut mine down when it is really crummy out and especially if there is a beam sea as I know mine just isn't happy with any of that stuff and just shuts itself down. It generally works well if the seas are good and regular servicing does help if you haven't done that. They can be good stoves, but they can also be an expensive pain in the butt. My next boat will have a furnace and I will cook with a camp stove. I do think the wallas is a great choice in the 22.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: