drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I don't know about that clamshell idea. Has anyone else done that to a Wallas? I'd like to do something to eliminate the windage/backdraught problem.

John
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
I have a propane stove so I don't have any of this....but my question is.... has anyone tried Bio-diesel ??? it is made from vegetable oil... and I wonder if it has the same sooting problem...or if it gels... I know when it burns it does not smell bad like fossil fuel. Anyone tried ??

Joel
SEA3PO

He made it very clear that bio diesel was the worst choice. Too much trash
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
1- high winds blowing into the starbord exhaust hole, 2-going over 24 knots in windy conditions, and 3-frequent, high waves slapping the exhaust hole.

This might be worth a call to Scan Marine as, on occasion, we have suffered with exhaust in the cabin for exactly the same reasons. And it seems like those conditions prevail when one needs the Wallas and cabin warmth the most.
Al

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean the home-made bio-diesel... but the bio-diesel that is sold in the marina....or down here by USA gas stations....I understand it is made from corn....and is really pure....

The cetane of bio-diesel is 50 where fossil fuel #2 has a cetane of 45

Plus it is not supposed to smoke... (not a fossil fuel...no carbon)

Joel
SEA3PO
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice guys, I will check the exhaust connections tomorrow and see if that helps. I bought a carbon monoxide detector and installed it in the boat. It registers zero even with the fuel smell in the cabin, so I doubt the exhaust is the problem. I think switching to diesel will make finding my problem easier. The Klean Heat really doesn't smell that much.

Bill
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Joe, I don't know about that clamshell idea. Has anyone else done that to a Wallas? I'd like to do something to eliminate the windage/backdraught problem.

John

John- Yup, I remember someone coming up with the idea, maybe Tyboo? Maybe whoever it was can fill us in on how it works!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
Quote:
Sea Wolf
1987 CD-22 Cruiser
Lake Shasta, California

C-Dory Addiction Confirmed May, 1998

Let me know if my humor bothers you!

Crook Sad Disgust What humor??? Wink

Sorry, Dan, this one of those highly tecnical, serious, and straight arrow threads.

No Room for Racy Humor Here!

Or any fun for the Human Race!*

*(Which to be PC, includes all colors, all creeds, all religions, all demonimations {including $1s, $5s, $10s, etc.}, all political parties (old Whigs from Dusty's era excepted), and addictions (including C-Doryitis impendiculosis 3-ft-itis).

John-

I know if seen those clamshell things somewhere.........

Yours Truly,

Straight Man Joe.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, Joe,,, Now I see ... DUAL clam shells!!! Avalible at West Marine?

John
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joel and others: Was with Brigner at the Seattle Boat show. In the last 3 shows I have made, I have yet to get to met Karl from Scan. My loss I am sure and I feel connected to the man due to the many hours of enjoyment and frustration from the wallas.

Fuel: Real clear "update" advice from the man. Based on "today's standards" (sorry..not a real fuel guy here)...he did indicate that the number one source of fuel was the fresh stuff from the pumps of folks that move diesel, staying away from the bio-diesel fuel and parifane (klean-heat) types of fuel. He indicated that:

Yes...the unit will burn most anything for an extended period of time on most any fuel....but TODAY, he felt that best way to go was the "new-improved-drug-free-sulfur-free-alcohol-free but for damn sure not tax free pay more for it than real gas diesel."

Now, I am almost of the opinion, that most of the toys we put on our 'LITTLE TRAILERABLE BOATS'... that most folks put on larger, haul'em once, splash em, leave em in the water larger boats..... really do not like all the true bouncing and banging we give them the opportunity to have when driving them down our fine roads of this Great Country of ours. Particuarly the interstate systems that cross and cut each other in the larger cities. Just follow your friend or any one else pulling any type of trailer, boat, 4 wheelers, lawn mowers....goats.... and watch how hard it gets tossed about.

Now.. what system was designed for that... None of them. So, we have to be ever vigilant on our hoses, nuts, fuel lines, and any other connections. I had the main power feed line that use to be the 1st thing that would pop off my wallas when trailered. Just got to be a habit of laying down, opening the cabinet, making sure it was pushed up tight each trip. Now....after knowing full well that I too have heard the 'WOOOOFFF" /bang sound.... I really should have checked some more items.... Sorry I missed the little light show on the outside of the boat. I know one of my fenders did not miss it when I had slung it from the grab rails on the roof to ensure I had a nice mid-ship fender out. But, the fender did turn black and did match the boat a bit better... Mr. Green

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
I didn't mean the home-made bio-diesel... but the bio-diesel that is sold in the marina....or down here by USA gas stations....I understand it is made from corn....and is really pure....

The cetane of bio-diesel is 50 where fossil fuel #2 has a cetane of 45

Plus it is not supposed to smoke... (not a fossil fuel...no carbon)

Joel
SEA3PO

ALL fuel that any of us will ever use will have carbon in it (with the possible exception of a hydrogen or nuclear powered C-Dory and I don't think we're ready for that). Vegetable oil has carbon in it and burning of biodiesel produces about the same amount of CO2 as burning any other fuel with similar energy content. However, for biodiesel, one can argue that the NET carbon emissions are reduced as the production of the plants removes CO2 from the air - the current estimates are that biodiesel produces about 60% less NET CO2 but these numbers are contoversial since they depend heavily on how one accounts for other energy costs that go into production.

Biodiesel does gel at a higher temperature than regular diesel. A couple of my friends had a problem with that here in Seattle when temps dropped below about 25 degrees F. While I'm sure that there are many different types/grades of biodiesel, I was surprised that some of the stuff sold here in Seattle was geling at such high temps. I could see BIG problems for people who are going skiing etc. and whose fuel gels on the way up the mountains or while they are parked for the day.

As regards the Wallace, I've said this before and I'll say it again, I'm somewhat convinced that Kleen Heat is the source of many of the problems people have with their Wallace. I base this on the annecdotal evidence that nearly everyone here who posts about problems is using Kleen Heat and my single data point - I've had my Wallace for almost 5 years now and have never run anything but diesel with NO problems. I really think we would benefit from a poll that asks about how many problems you have had with your Wallace and what fuel you use. Ideally, we would ascertain, how long you've had your Wallace, how many problems you've had and what fuel you were using at the time. I'm willing to bet that we will find a correlation between problems and the use of non-diesel fuels. Diesel is a much more lubricating fuel and I think it's better for the pump. I'd rather deal with a little odor from the external exhaust than have problems with the unit. Plus diesel is cheaper and readily available everywhere I boat.

Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Kleen Heat, which is supposed to have the least smell...

However, I have learned NEVER to open the starboard window when the Wallas is running, because the cabin will suddenly fill with the most awful, terrible, sickening sweet oily odor. Of course, this always happens unexpectedly, as others have pointed out.

If diesel smells even more than Kleen Heet- well...I don't know if I want to switch!

dogon dory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviewing the current literature on the Wallas web site and maintance instructions etc--there are basically two types of the stoves: What most of have, the Wallas 85DU. These are specified as using diesel or light fuel oil. (which would include Kerosene, Kleen heat, lamp oil etc). There is a second class of stoves such as the Wallas 800, specificall designed to be used with Paraffin oil (also desribed as Petrol, which I had always thought of as gasoline)--But in America we call "paraffin oil" Kerosene.

Kerosene is more highly refined than diesel (especially #2 diesel)--#1 diesel, which used to be available at marine outlets for two cycle diesels, but is rarely seen anymore at marine outlets.

The #2 diesel will decay and form aspheltines. The clear fuels are much less likely to decay. Also many times in fuel tanks bacteria/and algae will grow at the fuel water interphase. For these reasons I have chosen to use one of the lighter oils in the Wallas stove (85 DU, Diesel or light oil).

I suspect that the major issue in the success of the Wallas stove, evolves around the having clean fuel (of either type), of having plenty of 12 volt power, and maintance. The stove is relitatively simple, in comparison to a diesel engine. The pump is basically a low pressure plunger pump, and not subject to the tolerances of an injection pump. Having all parts of the stove, including the forced draft (again the plenty of power) working properly are essential for proper operation. Also keeping the stove at high setting to prevent carbon deposition on shutdown will help longivity.

Even buying diesel at a high capacity truck stop does not guarantee you will not get contaminated fuel--I would tend to buy boat diesel shortly after a new load of diesel was unloaded--much less likely to get contaminated fuel. If I were to use #2 diesel, I would run it thru a 2 micron filter before using it in the Wallas.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dogon dory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: