The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Getting the Pooch On and Off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acgetz

City/Region: Omaha
State or Province: NE
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Doggie
Photos: C-Doggie
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Getting the Pooch On and Off Reply with quote

Once upon a time I had two wishes... a large pooch and a new boat. Someone said "be careful what you wish for." I ignored them and both came true at the same time. With a month long cruise supposed to start in just a few weeks, there are lots of little problems to be solved. I wake up in the middle of the night wondering about many things, but one of them makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up... how do I get the 70 lbs blood hound on and off the boat?

Anyone have any interesting ideas/solutions?

Is there already a thread on this somewhere on C-Brats?

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acgetz-

Getting up and over the gun whales (gunnels) is part of the problem, as is bridging the space from there to the dock, or from the swim step to the dock or from the swim step to shore.

One of the best solutions has to use the Pet Step, a type of folding, lightweight, storable ramp, or the equivalent. You can also use a cooler inside the boat to provide a step up top the gunnel or engine well.

Here's a link to the PetStep product.

PetStep shown with flotation buoys added.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
pcator

City/Region: Fletcher
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Donna Marie
Photos: Donna Marie
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the good things we have learned in a short time is that we use the dogs life jacket which has a handle. He weighs 45 lbs. It works very well getting off the boat or on. The dog remains very still as soon as his feet leave the ground. It also makes me feel more comfortable in the event I should drop him.

Patrick
Alasgun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Getting the pooch on and off Reply with quote

While this may sound like something you would get from the "fruitcake lady" I would offer the following opinion bout the dog.
Having raised and run game with English (redticks) hounds, I can assure you that if you incorporate something to chase the dog will follow.
Get your self a trained coon and send him aboard first, the dog will follow. When you get to the dock put the coon ashore first, the dog will follow.
The side benefit would be the great amount of entertainment the coon will provide while onboard heck he might even teach that dog to swim! Laughing
Mike on Huda Thunkit, P.S dont take any of this too seriously!
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the pooch on and off Reply with quote

Alasgun wrote:

Get your self a trained coon and send him aboard first, the dog will follow. When you get to the dock put the coon ashore first, the dog will follow.

Rather than a coon, you can achieve the same results with a CAT.....sorry Brock.. Crook

C-Brat #16
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look in the hunting catalogs they make a lot of steps for the duck hunting crowd. most have floating platforms in the water and hooks that go around the gunnels. follow this link to a list sold by cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat600041&navAction=jump&navCount=1&parentId=cat20712&parentType=category&cmCat=MainCatcat20712

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the pooch on and off Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
Alasgun wrote:

Rather than a coon, you can achieve the same results with a CAT.....sorry Brock.. Crook

How about if you have both.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there have been several threads on getting the dogs on and off. We have boated with labs up to 120 lbs. The "Pet Step" is our current favorite. We used it on the transom of the C Dory 22. Either using a float, or putting the boat stern to a bank, and the single outboard all of the way up, the dog (and us) could get on and off the boat without getting our feet wet. We put non skid in the outboard well for better "grip". We had an ice chest or gear box (like the rubber maid action packer across the back and the dogs would hop up on these to get back to the well and "pet step"

The C Dory 22 is a great boat for dogs....even without coons (cute photo!)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: