oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John – good start on your photo album. I like it when there is some text describing the photo, as you did.

The photos of “Thatcher Pass coming up” & “Trying to beat the storm to La Conner” really show some of the winds you encountered.

_________
Dave
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn

Great pics of all the memories of the Big Adventure!

Who installed the Permatrims on your Hondas, and what was your fuel burn/rpm in the 15-18 kt range? I understand that motor manufacturers will still warranty their engines, just not the AV plate where the Permatrims are bolted. Is that right?

Thanks in advance for the important feedback.

Bob Cat
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were not able to take pictures of the heavy parts of the storm. It took all we had to stay seated and headed the right direction.

Bob of DiveCat.... My Honda Speed guage was reading consistently lower miles covered and miles logged, so I don't think the readouts were reliable. Paul of Puget Sound Yacht services at Edmonds Marina installed all my electronics and accessories except for the Honda digital guages. He did a great job, but noted everything needed to be calibrated a bit better than time allowed prior to our sailing.

Set level, the Permatrims let the boat plane predictably at 14 knots SOG, and some at 12 knots, but I think the 12 mph planing was with ideal currents and winds. In the 4-6 foot seas, setting the trims down kept the bow down in the big waves. I know you're not supposed to use trim tabs down in heavy seas, but Roger and I both felt the ride was greatly improved by this.

We were at times in currents over 10 knots and with winds 35-55 knots, so the efficiency guage was reading wild numbers..... at one time it said 9 miles per gallon!!! Many times it said 3-5 miles per gallon, but I think the extreme tides and currents and winds of the season caused that.

I did alot of high speed cruising with no attempt to save fuel and over the 240 nautical miles I measured, divided by the gallons to fill the tank, I only got 1.6 Kmpg. We also had to slog around at 4-7 knots in the worst stuff.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote;

"In the 4-6 foot seas, setting the trims down kept the bow down in the big waves. I know you're not supposed to use trim tabs down in heavy seas, but Roger and I both felt the ride was greatly improved by this. '

??? ....Hmmmmm...........

Probably doesn't make for any problems as long as you're traveling faster than the waves so that none of them can catch up to you. (My guess)

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, Joe.

Just running down-sea and sliding down the slope do the tabs seem to be a hazard. Burying the nose and doing a whoop-de-do can be un-nerving. BTDT. I use them in the down position all the time when running into heavy weather.

Dusty

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
drjohn71a wrote;

"In the 4-6 foot seas, setting the trims down kept the bow down in the big waves. I know you're not supposed to use trim tabs down in heavy seas, but Roger and I both felt the ride was greatly improved by this. '

??? ....Hmmmmm...........

Probably doesn't make for any problems as long as you're traveling faster than the waves so that none of them can catch up to you. (My guess)

Joe.

Just for clarification:
We had the bow trimmed down going into the waves as opposed to in following seas. A 6-7kts, there is some bow rise which the trim countered.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: