View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: TomCat Heaven - or Rainforest Reply with quote

Hey all, 'Just found a computer at the hotel here in Edmonds, so a quick note. The new TomCat was ready to go yesterday (Thursday), so it got it's maiden voyage in 22k winds, heavy rain, and vigorous seas. What an incredible craft! We went slow yesterday due to the high winds, but were pretty much alone out there and the slowness allowed proper break-in.

Today was calm and we calibrated the electronics a bit closer with the calmer water,then shot down to Elliot Bay, Seattle, in about 30 minutes! Got to see some sea lions, alot of logs, and an orca.

This boat literally hovers over the water at speed, and incredbly fine ride. As with most C-Dories, the ppl at Edmond's keep coming over wanting tours and to tell me that they just know this boat was made in Australia!

The Raymarine electronics are superb and all units fired up immediately with no snags at all. The new 4k radar gives great detail, even showing up small 15-16 foot boats.

Anyway, thank you all for having shared so much information over these last three years and thus helping this all to become a dream come true.

Tomorrow we're going to Bell Harbor marina so my son can explore downtown Seattle while I pour thru the instruction manuals. Then off the Friday Harbor, Deception Pass, La Conner, etc, and all the famous C-Brat sites.

I have heard some grinching here and there about the TomCats, but I cannot imagine anyone who's using one of these not to be blown away by their quick,nimble handling whether at the docks or screaming over the bay.

Well, have to go plan how to dodge weather fronts these next few days.

The Permatrim (thanx C-Brats for recommending them) really helped level the boat, esp at slow speeds. We were planing at 16mph (statute) and got 4mpg for quite a run (it must have been downwind).

Also, there is no list, even when all the tanks are full. I kept it light on the stern by avoiding heavy extra batteries there.

Thanks again, John
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Glad you finally got 'er wet! Lots of fun ahead for you folks.
Enjoy

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test drove a tomcat last week but for only 300yard drag races on lake washington. Would love to see one out of the sound. If you are up by everrt on saturday give me a call.1-425-220-6567 We would love to come down to the dock and meet you. I dont know the weather but the inside run to the Islands can be a lot smoother and more interesting. if you like art langley is a good place to stop on the way up to the pass. Laconner is a must stop for me and the wife , lots of nice shops and good food. the cafe at the bridge end of town on the right is really good, just cant remember the name. from there you can go out the pass or run up the channel to anacotzes and then out to the islands.

as for the whales, cool huh!! just love seeing them and you were lucky to see them in the lower sound. Keep a look out for greys whales. there have been some seen in the straits latey.

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr John – thanks for the report. Glad the boat is everything you expected. Wish I could be out there with you in my boat, unfortunately she is scheduled for major surgery next week. I hope someday our paths cross.
________
Dave
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
That's a nice looking boat. I was starting to gas up a few feet away at the Edmonds Marina today as you were you were pulling out for your test run. I was in the blue CD25. I don't think you saw me. I had been cruising around Bainbridge Island earlier. Good luck on the remainder of you trip. I hope the weather is reasonable- today was a pleasant surprise.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - well OK then! Got your boat, it sounds like it exceeds your expectations - I got a test ride on the TC255 at Blakely Marina I guess it was the year before last when C-Dory first unveiled it for us...incredible boat for sure. Now you need a proper C-Brat christening ceremony though...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Congrats on the new TC. Hope you get some decent weather here to enjoy the area.

Regarding a trip to Friday harbor, check out this weather link first. http://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/marine_report.html/

You would be interested in the East Entrance and Central Straits report.

Merry Christmas!

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Congratulations on your new boat.

Sorry about the weather but you should be able to get some time in between the nasty bits.
If you come into Langley or Coupville give us a call and we will at least drive down and say hello.

BTW if you check the ferry weather site, the Keystone ferry wind readings are reversed. I finally got mad at them telling me they had 30 Kts from the North when it was really South so I went and checked it personally then e-mailed them. They acknowledged the mail but I wonder how long it will take them to fix it.

Merv
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

If you come through Decption Pass be sure to call - we'll meet you at the Deception Pass Marina dock - Latte in hand, if you like. 360 679 2629

And congrats on the TC. Mine was the 24TC, but what a boat!!

Merry Christmas

Dusty
Sea Duck

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Thumper
Photos: Sea Duck
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: Congratulations!! Your Christmas definitely came early this year Xmas LOL. Enjoy your time in Seattle. Beth and I will look forward to hearing more about your new TomCat. What kind of transducer did you end up going with? Transom mount or shoot throught the hull? Does your boat have the new molded interior?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the the delivary of the new boat! Thanks for the information on the Permitrims.

Happy New Year!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob of Thataway - Thanks to your feedback, it looks like C-
Dory is really putting a slick final finish to all the glass, windows, interior, and all. Only big problem I had was the Honda digital fuel guage does not work and no lights on the other digital guages. That would not be a problem in a land where the sun shines alot, but here about 4:30pm you have to use a flashlight to read those guages. A few other little gitches, but considering how all this was arranged from thousands of miles away, it came out pretty slick!

Day before yesterday we got caught in a major storm, 35 k winds with 55k gusts... waves completely over the top of the TomCat. Then headed into Sonomish canal with that wind at our backs and a 8-10k outgoing current filled with half the redwood forest. Many logs/trees had huge root balls and spanned a third of the canal width, so we refer to that as the Sonomish Log Dodge.

The Permatrims are great! Even set at neutral, we planed today (downwind in 15k winds) at 14kmph.

A new Ranger was being dropped in at Edmonds day before Christmas Eve I think.

Beth and Ted - I thought I was getting the 1000 W bronze, shoot thru transducer, but my livewell prohibited access to the only good spot to put that one in. They put the plastic tri-ducer on that most C-Brats and alot of the C-Dory ppl say is the way to go. Only problem we had with that was that for some reason it shut down speed log, etc., during the storm. The massive waves and water spewing into our very slightly open windows (to minimize fogging) blew a bunch of fuses including the Raymarine VHF and GPS units. Our lifesaver was the $269 Lowrance iFinder H2Oc with the $89 Map-Create, six disc detail download set. It even helped us find an open deli in Downtown Seattle when all else was closed. We have had a terrible time finding food, ice, Wallas Fuel, etc, since most everything was closed down for the holidays.

Anyway. the accuracy and ease of use of these little portable GPS units is amazing. I pretty much just downloaded the area maps and turned it on. The Raymarine system is great, but very complicated to set up and get all the different pieces talking together, and all are dead if you blow the fuses! No way to crawl around and find the correct fuse block in 35 mph winds!

We are having a ball, though, when we do find a place open. e.g., on Christmas Eve, in La Conner, after hours in horrendous storms and no meat, milk, bread, etc, we stumbled onto a "Prime Rib Restaurant" that was open for the locals to have small Christmas parties and we all had a ball. Sensational evening with Snoqualmie Amber "harvest"? beer. I think that is Pat and Dave's doing and it's a great treat. My son from Boston is more of an expert on the beer thing and he raved about it.

We came back from Friday Harbor via Juan de Fuca this am, Dusty. I passed Deception Pass on the East two days before that and intend to get up there again and drop by the Deception Pass Marina on Thursday. Tomorrow, Roger of Sea DNA has offered to take me "Crabbing".

I'm leaving here Sat am, so Friday is prob the last day in the area on the boat. If anyone wants to cruise around a bit, I'd welcome an extra hand, but have singe-handed for many years.

Well, we're walking over to Anthony's for a good, hot dinner!
Thanks again C-Brats for all the help over the years!

John

Last edited by drjohn71a on Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again for one last splurge...

Dusty - I spoke with Rogerbum (Sea DNA) and he and I are going to try to run up to Deception Pass tomorrow, Wed, 12/27. My son is flying back to Boston tomorrow am. 'Don't know exactly when we'll get there , but are planning to leave the Edmonds Marina about 8:15 am tomorrow.

Beth and Ted - the plastic, transom mounted "triducer" that we have does lose bottom alot at speed. I am attributing alot of that to all the debris in the water here right now. 'could have been some kelp or bark. Also, I think I have the normal, old style interior cabinets. I like the cabinets as they are just fine.

The dinette table is mounted Heck bent for Stout - no vibrations there. The interior is huge with lots of storage and enough room to pass in the aisle without touching. The forward bunk is really great. I used a big suitcase as a bedside table and still had more room than a normal double.

Well bye for a day, John
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I'm glad you're enjoying your new boat in these rain-soaked parts. Sorry the weather hasn't been better but at least Christmas day was beautiful. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Maybe next time, you can come up during the summer to one of our C-Brat gatherings to really get a sense of the awesome beauty that is the great Pacific Northwest. Who knows, it may even stop raining by then! Thumbs Up

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter. Acutally, Kansas has been in a drought, so the rain is kind of nice. I have come up to Seattle many times over the years and am aware of the nice summers. However, my favorite boating time in the MidWest, is the late Fall thru Winter and Early Spring when you pretty much have all the water and scenery to yourself. I don't much care for crowds and the most boats we've seen out has been two or three a day! Amazing when you consider how many boats there are up here.

My office vacations are always Christmas and July 4th weeks, so this was a perfect time to get to let the TomCat play in her own backyard before going on to "foreign", MidWest waters.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: