View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Bicycle rack on CD22 - Reply with quote

I am in the process of trying to fit a Yakima Car Roof rack on the roof and on the side rails of the CD-22

Would like to carry bike this winter and kayak and bike next summer - anyone have any experience with this or a better idea?

Thanks

Jim on Endurance
Salty-Cs

City/Region: Yorba Linda
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Salty-Cs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

While cruising we carry 2 mountain bikes in the cockpit, protected with a bike cover with a fork mount rack similar to yakima's but made from extruded aluminum (better saltwater resistance). At the mooring we move the rack and bikes to the roof, see http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Salty-Cs&id=DSC01369&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php. We also want to carry a kayak and are looking at a custom stainless or aluminum rack for the roof.

Salty-Cs Photos
jstates

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry and Sam

Great Idea putting the bike sideways - do you have any photos of the in cockpit rack and position.

If I can securely fasten a yakima bike mount on the roof rails do you see any reason not to leave bike up there during cruising - or do you think the boat motion would damage the rails and the attachment of rails to the roof?

Thanks

Jim
Salty-Cs

City/Region: Yorba Linda
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Salty-Cs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with carrying them on the top is potential dousing with water in moderate seas. Even though our mtn. bikes are pretty light they still would torque the fork dropouts and possibly the roof handrails too much with the pounding we often get. I don't have any pics in the cockpit, but the bikes are arranged sideways, as far aft as possible, with the handlebars towards the port side. This allows us to open the cabin door and have access to the whole length of the boat along the starboard side.
jstates

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea - in the cockpit during transit - and on the roof when mooring. Does any particular bike cover stand up to the salt spray better or have an advantage?

Thanks

Jim
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Bicycle rack on CD 22 Reply with quote

I copied Blue~C's rack idea (view at Blue~C's photo album, photo file labeled "outards"). However, I have a high top and needed to get towers with extensions which worked just fine with the high top. I had to bend the metal gutter clamp a little bit so it opened enough to go around the grab rail (easy to do with slip joint pliers). I also had to bend the clamp tightening wrench (by Yakima) so it would clear the top when tightening the clamp (easy to do in a vice). I've been real happy with this rack. However, when considering bicycles I was going to use a 2x4 between the racks and mount a Yakima bike rack to it but decided to go with folding bikes lashed to the bow rail - see at Little Mac's photo album. I have yet to try the folding bikes but don't plan serious biking just beer, milk, and ice cream runs plus casual afternoon touring to stretch the legs and take in the scenery. Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: