The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

High Top on 22 Cruiser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Wefings , we order 22 high tops only , as they make for a roomier feel even for the altitudinally challenged [ like Byrdman] . And it makes the AC install a little better . And you can resell it to a tall person if you decide to upgrade !
Marc

C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with others who say don't be afraid to RAISE the ROOF! This will give more room overall, unobstructed visibility all around and much better ventilation if the hot climates. The photo in the link below is an "ALBIN" cruiser. The photo is not great but it will convey the idea to search for.

I am sure other boats use this idea. The roof lifts up on four corner posts. I am sure simple pins could hold it at several levels of hight from a little ventilation (2") to full blown bird watching tower (12"). Similar to a VW pop top camper. This would give fantastic viewing all around. You will have to stoop while standing to see out the windows. Especially the rear windows on a standard top when underway.

With the standard top raised, stand-up and look all around. Window screen or clear lexan can be made to fill in the space for cooler weather. It could even provide ventilation in a gentle rain (at anchor) as the roof would still shed water. I live in the hot south at 5'11 and would love to do this mod. The ventilation/vision would be most welcome.

If you are like me you would balk at modifying a boat. Once you get the CD you will see that ease of modification is one of the many features and easier to swallow on a used (slightly worn) boat. You can easily end up with a mod that is better than a factory tall top which is raised only in the middle of the roof.

http://florida-family.net/albin/index.htm

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another Big and Tall store kind'a guy. 6'3" and fortunate enough to get a ride in a standard top before ordering our new one. If your head is like my nephew, TyBoo, or DaNerd, at 6'3 you'll get a "roof rash" in anything beyond absolute calm. Do go high top. We prefer the styling as well and only the standard top folk notice mine is a "high top" The rest see it as normal.

I can't imagine what my head would look like after a few days in a standard top with radar radome mounting bolts protruding through, even with nut caps.

Besides, life is too short to be small.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High top.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh...at the risk of stepping an a gazillion Brat toes, I'm sure glad I max out at 6'0" - the standard top works fine for me.

Personally...I think the high top is ugly, and detracts significantly from the classic lines of the boat. Perhaps a bit petty of me to place form over function, but I cringe every time I see a high top.

I like what Chris did when he rebuilt Scout, and wish C-Dory would take notice and do the same. Raising the walls a bit, avoids the "bubble top" look and does not detract from the more classic appearance.

It would also be much more functional than the current high top model. Just think...if C-Dory raise the walls by 4-5", you could get increased headroom in the v-berth, and you would gain height in the cabin at the sides as well as the middle - something those of us with knots on our heads from interior grab rails would certainly welcome.

amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: High top Reply with quote

Rob, I stand 6'4" and can't imagine not having the high top. You'll still hit your head on the hatch frame going for a fish but most of the time you'll remember to duck. Certainly worth waiting for the right boat. Karl
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

I agree with you about the appearance of the high top. My apologies to the High Top Crowd.

I wasn't aware of the modifications Chris had made to the cabin when he rebuilt Scout.

Good idea for all C-Dorys to be built like that.

Would also get the windows up a bit for better visibility without stooping to see out and around!

Great idea for everyone to benefit from.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me stoop? Naw, gotta stand on tippie-toe to see out of the standard top. Shrink with age, dangit!

Xmas LOL

Dusty
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't do much good to raise the roof if you don't make the door any taller !!

We are like Dusty, had to add boosters under ths Admiral's cushion so she could see out.
I can understand though because even at 5'9" I beat my head to a pulp on that door. (also probably has something to do with short term memory) Bat Bat Bat

Merv, (Got low roof for looks and still can"t get the darned dinghy up there)
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forewaw a problem with the door on the companionway in my Sea Ray, so I made a bumper out of a section of split foam rubber pipe insulation to fit over the doorway opening when the door was open.

Haven't hit my head on on it yet, and have been fortunate enough to remember to put it in place after sliding the door open.

Having any headbanger style doorway is another good reason to wear a hat aboard a boat, as it is at least some cushioning for your wandering headnoggin! Wink

Joe.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

Having any headbanger style doorway is another good reason to wear a hat aboard a boat, as it is at least some cushioning for your wandering headnoggin! Wink

Joe.

A good head of hair makes it even easier, Joe.

Moon
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaNag quote:

Quote:
Ugh...at the risk of stepping an a gazillion Brat toes, I'm sure glad I max out at 6'0" - the standard top works fine for me.

Personally...I think the high top is ugly, and detracts significantly from the classic lines of the boat. Perhaps a bit petty of me to place form over function, but I cringe every time I see a high top.

Why think nothing of calling our boats ugly, friend. The High-Top crowd is an understanding bunch, slow to anger over any slight or personal criticism, well behaved, of good temper, and with the character to weather any barbs pointed their way, warranted, or unwarranted, expert, or not. I can assure you we harbor no grudge for your views.

What was your mother's name?
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: High top versus standard cruiser Reply with quote

I am sure I will be in the minority but I personally have had no problem with the standard top on our 2001 22' crusier. I am a little over 6' 3'' and have hit my head a few times on the door. Without sounding negative I also much prefer the looks of the standard top cruiser. Scot showed us the tall cabin option when we had the Mary Ellen build, we declined and have not regretted our decision for the last 5 years.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 6'2" and have been hitting my head on the cabin top regularly for over 23 years. When I purchased my CD in 1983 there was not a high top option. I would have gotten it.
A high top still does not stop you from scraping your scalp/hair off going in/out of the cabin door in rough running.
All of that above is another reason I am looking for a 25'. Very Happy

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagold wrote:
What was your mother's name?

Brock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: