The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

High Top on 22 Cruiser
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: High Top on 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

How much of a "must have" is the high top option on the 22 cruiser. I am 6'3" and am concerned about the headroom. If I were ordering new, I would definitely go with the high top. But when considering a used boat, holding out for a high top seems to really limit opportunities. I also wonder about how much standing you actually do in the cabin. I would think sitting would be more common.

My wife asked me this question: You are going to have this boat for a long time. Are you really going to be happy if you cannot stand up in it? Thinking about that is making me pause and wonder.

Any input, particularly from the taller folks, would be appreciated.

Rob
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: High Top Reply with quote

Rob I am 6'2" and I can't tell you how happy I am that I got the high top ! I can even wear a hat inside, and I don't have to worry about hitting my head in rough water.
To me it is a must !
Enjoy.....Big Dave.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: high top Reply with quote

I am not 6'3 but I still think I would want a high top. I stand all the time. Frequently stand in the center and steer or watch the auto pilot Mr. Green
I see you are also in the south. Roof top AC units are cheap and make a big difference enjoying boating on a hot day or night. That will take up more head room if you decide you want it.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At six feet I like having the high top but doubt that i have to have it. At 6'3" I would think you will need it. as for standing in the cab, you will be standing in the cab more while not underway. While under way you want to be able to look out the windows. any one over 6 ft will not be able to stand up and look out a wind with out stooping over to look out. You are just fine while sitting at the captains chair. send crazy frazy a email hes 6"6 and spent a week on a 22 c-dory with his two 'tall" uncles
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At six feet I like having the high top but doubt that i have to have it. At 6'3" I would think you will need it. as for standing in the cab,
I'm 6'0 and I have the standard top. It's just fine for me. If I was 6'1" I think I'd be rubbing the roof with my head. If I was 6'3" I think I'd have a problem.

Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 5' 12 1/2".............Wife swears I'm at least 6'. Rolling Eyes Any way I built my top about one inch higher than Toland intended. My boat has ample clearance for a 6' 1" fella.

Your 6' 3".............. GO HIGH TOP!!!!!!! They still look nice. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Chris Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Notayot

Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 6' 3", and the high top is a must. I cannot stand up in the standard top, but with the high top I can really live in that cabin!

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'3" and currently have a high top cruiser. I've also had the standard
cabin in the 22' cruiser. Personally, I prefer the high top. The extra headroom saves a little hair up on top, I can wear a cap or hat w/o a problem in the cab and over time the tall roof keeps me from being a little bent at times. I also like the general feeling of more space..

That being said, If I was looking for a used CD I wouldn't rule out a nice clean
C-Dory with a standard cabin top. I loved my '91 22 CD with the standard top
and we got along just fine. Since I decided to buy a new 22' in 2004, I just felt I would be happier with the high top and I am.

At 6' 3" it would be nice to have a high top, but for me, it wouldn't be a
deal breaker.

Good luck, whatever you do..........you're gonna love it!

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 6'0", I get by just fine with the standard top, and prefer the proportions/styling of the standard cabin.

However, I do hit my head on the doorway every once in a while when I'm rushing around fishing and forget to duck. The higher cabin doorway would prevent that usually (assuming that the door and doorway are both also taller).

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 6'2" and have the high top. There is a lot of time standing, moving from helm to cockpit, cooking, etc. if I constantly bumped my head the boat would be a lot less fun. A high top is a necessity for me.

But...I think converting a "standard top" to a high top is certainly no harder than many of the projects described here on Brats. Maybe someone with a lot more glass knowledge than I have could comment?

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as hitting my head on the door on the way out, I have doen it a number of times. That door is to small. I was out by myself fishng when rod went off and I exploded out the door, almost. I hit my head so hard I had a hard time remaining standing. damm near blacked out, but dont tell susan. shhhhh
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'3", have the high top and wouldn't even consider anything else. More than just the headroom, it really gives the boat a much roomier feel. I was surprised how many people pointed this out at the East Coast Gathering last year.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to be in a heavy sea with a roof that is low -- it can be dangerous.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob: Look, take the 840 loop from Franklin over to Mt. Juliet, TN. My brother Mike keeps his 22 in the water on the ready 25/8... yea, he and B love it and 24/7 just does not do it justice.

You will find it very hard to find a used high top....and ...when C-Dory does it, it is just the center part that is raised. Take a look at some of the work that Chris did on his TOTAL REBUILD... on the boat SCOUT ... Just hit the little blue link button under his profile stuff...and follow some of the links on his post.

Others will disagree with me here..and that is fine....but, if I was as tall as you, you need to end up with a taller cabin than the standard top. I am 5'8" short, and would like more room as if you were to take the top off a standard, and put in a 4-6" "raiser" around the entire top section. Easily done with many of the great fiberglass crews we have in the Nashville area, and can follow what Chris has done on his boat... Poke thru his links.

The money you save even buying a used C-Dory hull, can be used to "add your own" high top... the whole top which would give you much more storage for things when on long cruises....or...just the center section like the factory does.

Yes, more weight higher, more of a wind sail....yada yada yada.. But, look how thin the sidewalls of the vessel really are near the top, and you are not talking about much added weight at all... the wind...well, I do not think it will make that much differance over what we have now anyway with 6" added, when compaired to the TOTAL BOATING experience..

Either way....get one and get out on the water. The winter boating is EXCELLANT up here...nobody goes out ....except us little pilot house boat loving folk. Wish you'd been around during Thanksgiving... we had an 18, 2-22s (standard top), and a new CD25 tied at the docs in Mt. Juliet prior to our Nashville cruise.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
uncleralph123

City/Region: Frederick
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
While under way you want to be able to look out the windows. any one over 6 ft will not be able to stand up and look out a wind with out stooping over to look out.

Are the windows any different on the high top? I thought the high top just had a raised portion in the middle of the roof??

Ralph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: