View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccml

City/Region: Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Crystal Sea
Photos: Crystal C
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Insurance to get boat home. Reply with quote

I hope to be picking up my cd25 next week and wonder what insurance would I need to have it insured while I bring it home on the trailer and when it is sitting in my yard durring the winter? Is it the actual boat insurance you need when you have it in the water or does most home owners policies cover this?
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if states differ, but I DO know in Oregon, you'd want boat insurance! I have a buddy who is an ex state patrol...came upon a fella on the highway, sitting outside his rig and empty boat trailer with his head in his hands, elbows on his knees -- squatted down -- looking like he wanted to cry -- Randy looked over to the side and saw the boat had launched off the trailer -- he had no coverage and was bringing the boat home after purchase -- heartbreaker for sure.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.
alandgin

City/Region: Duluth, MN
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: alandgin (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: get 'er insured today!! Reply with quote

mccml

I checked some of your past posts and I am assuming that you are Mark? If so, and if you are the Mark that just purchased astasky's 2004 CD25 in Albany, a big hearty CONGRATULATIONS!! What a great deal on that beautiful boat! Tell us more about it? If you are not, I apologize. Embarrased

As for the insurance, you might want to check out this post: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=4718 It's under the subject: "it shouldn't happen to a dog. . ."

I'd contact your insurance agent and check out the premium price, and don't take a chance on nothing happening while towing the new "precious" home! We just purchased our used 2000 CD16 and I took a chance on no insurance since I had to drive from Superior, WI up the hill thru Duluth, MN out to Island Lake (23 mi). Still have no insurance, but am working on it. My ins agent quoted me $158/yr, so I gotta get my butt in gear, get the boat registered, and insured!! "just do it", Al Mad

Again, Mark, thank the lucky stars you didn't get the Bayliner, and Merry Christmas (or Happy Hanukkah, or Happy Kwanzaa) to you and your wife, on the new present you bought yourself! You're gonna love it -- if not, let me know first and I'll give you exactly what you paid for it!!! Thumbs Up Very Happy Wink
Al S

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home owner policies differ, so you'd want to check with your agent. This guy's opinion: GET INSURANCE! Sorry for yelling, but it is a lot more than what could happen to your boat on the ride home. If there were an accident (even not your fault) and your boat caused someone injury (or worse), the repercussions could be disastrous. Be sure you are covered before you even hook up the boat.

Also, most boat insurers offer some kind of discount if you can show that you have taken a boating safety course... a definite win-win situation.

The 25 is a big boat on the trailer. Besides insurance, make sure your tow vehicle is up to the task (check tires all around, including the trailer). You may need mirror extentions, depending on your vehicle. Our trailer for the 25 has the 2 5/16 hitch, with flat 5 pin electrical connection; you'll want to know this information for your trailer ahead of time so you can be prepared. Take it easy, check the wheel bearings frequently for heat. Ease up to your first few stops to make sure the trailer brakes are working. Keep in mind your height and width on the trailer, and see how it tracks as you turn corners.

My apologies if some of this information is stuff you already know. With the insurance question, I thought that some of this may be new to you. That is certainly not a problem, just better to be prepared ahead of time... everyone here towed home a boat for the first time. Just a few things to help make that easier.

Congratulations on your new boat. You are going to love that 25! Keep us posted on your adventures with it.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every insurance company is different, of course, but the company that handles my homeowner's and auto insurance (Liberty Mutual) provides coverage of new purchases for 30 days to give me time to get the info to the office.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other consideration.........in addition to full coverage insurance on the boat, trailer etc. I have AAA "RV Plus" package with 100 mile towing. I utilized it once when my tow vehicle failed on me and the whole ordeal saved me a $500. towing bill. The tow rig was loaded onto a flatbed tow truck and the boat and trailer towed behind it. I rode with the tow truck driver and neither I nor the completed tow package was stranded by the side of the road.
C-Brat #16
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who say insure it before you pick up the boat. I think you are taking a significant risk if you don't.
As for 30 day peroids--that may be if you already have insurance with the cmpany and change boats???but don't trust that one.

Definately have the truck/trailer adequately covered for breakdown. (Road service) I know if I was getting a 25 I would want at least a 3/4 ton truck--if not a one tone truck. Check on the hitch weight. Have an extra set of bearings, repack the bearings, have a spare tire and wheel. Have a jack and lug wrench which will fit those lug nuts/trailer frame. Have adequate locks. Chain the front of the boat from the eye to the trailer frame--Be sure that the winch strap is in good place--be sure that the transom is strapped down. Consider a locked nut on the spare, wheels on the trailer, and motor, as well as the props. I would take the electroncis out of the boat while trailering (esp if staying in motels).

Hopefully you got a sea trial and at least a chance to run the engine. Be ssure that all systems work properly.

I like an extra light bar on the back of the trailer--up at the same height as the vision of cars/trucks--as far back as the outboard if possiable. You may need the clearance lights on both the truck and trailer (3 amber in the middle, one on each side for the front top of the truck).

Good luck traveling--and watch the weather!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Boat Insurance before you leave home!!! You have way to much at risk!

Chris Bulovsky
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the above is great advise. One small item - have a wrench to check the lug nuts on your trailer wheels. These rascals tend to get loose the first 100 or so miles -- check 'em. Small point, I know, but BTDT!

Dusty
commander bill

City/Region: Centre
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: LenaBell
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of relying on homeowners insurance. I am still looking for a C-Dory and do not have one yet. USAA says covers boats. However, my aluminum Bass boat has 40hp because I pushed subject and determined that USAA homeowners policy will only include boats less than 50hp, no sleeping quarters or bathroom facilities. I had to ask the company for specific letter to get an answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: