View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Rode / Anchor Chain "Lock?" Reply with quote

A question for the Group RE use of the windlass & anchor.

We have only used the windlass a couple times so far, but it will get a lot of use soon. At the present time I secure the anchor with a small line, in an effort to take the strain off the windlass/gypsy while cruising (and to prevent accidental deployments).

Is this really necessary? (I can prevent accidental deployments by popping the breaker, but that doesn't take the strain off the windlass.)

West Marine (and others...) sell a couple different gadgets to lock-down the anchor chain after retrieval, but I'd prefer to not drill extra holes in the deck if it isn't necessary. (Holes + Boats = Bad JuJu)

My "guess" is that it's unnecessary, but I'm still wondering. ...seems to me that given the intended use of a windlass, and the forces involved, it's probably overbuilt and wouldn't be damaged from the relatively minor stresses of an anchor resting snug in it's bowroller. (While AT ANCHOR is a different situation, and you want to tieoff the anchor rode to prevent the force being absorbed by the windlass.)

Will be interested to get some feedback.

Thx / Casey
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey- I have a Quick 500 vertical windlass with a "big" Fortress FX-16 anchor (adequate for 33-38 ft boats) that weighs 11 lbs with 15 ft of 1/4" HT chain and 200 ft of 1/2" 3-strand rope rode. The total rig rides without any tie down assistance both on the water and on the trailer just fine. Just set the clutch adjustment up good and tight, turn off the circuit breaker, and the 180-degree wrap of chain holds the the anchor rig so tight you could go out and stand on the anchor with both feet and not loosen it at all. For serious riding at anchor, since the rope and not the chain is in the gypsy, I take the rope out of the gypsy, cleat it one time around the factory installed 10" on centerline fore deck cleat behind the windlass, then over to a bollard (Sampson Post) on the port side gunnel even fore and aft with the first cleat for the final tie off.

I can't speak for those with horizontal windlasses, or with other brands, but this works for me. Hope this helps. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Casey,

I've seen this question come up a few times - in fact, I posed it myself once.

The consensus seems to be, that securing the anchor with something other than the windlass is not a bad idea. That being said, hardly anybody does it, and I've never heard of it being a problem for those of us who don't - for vertical or horizontal windlasses.

Just like Joe, my horizontal Horizon 600 never let any slack back into the rode once the anchor was snugged up - on the water or during thousands of miles of towing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: