Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Down Brother Joel....and go put on one of those flowerdy shirts...and grin.

Now Mike Shotwell at 3 Rivers Marine Inc looks to be the FL dealership (by Robbi's statement...)... and these are fine boats. Again...the Toland family don't make junk...but, that is just from a SE redneck who loves the C-Dory boats....and their heritage.

Now I love our C-Dory boats, but some things with the MORE COMPLICATED (i.e. read CD25, TC255) plumbing issues of late from the plant are not acceptable for the factory to have put out, any dealership to have to receive, or a person throwing down the bucks for what is now paid for a new boat of this type.... ...to be acceptable. They can fix this too, and they are, will, as they have with everything from C-Dory. They work the issues.

I too did not like the way some folks went back cross town up there. Not sure how that would have been looked at in our family business(s)..but I think sorta like what Joel said above. And...I did think these two boats would have made for great improvements and competition on both...giving us the boat buying public...even better boats to chose from.

Anyone care for a group hug about now... Yep..even you my ol buddy Dusty... Mr. Green

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Alasgun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Cape Cruiser out of business Reply with quote

Well Thanks Byrdman for coming to my defense! My earlier statements that seemed to ruffle some were not intended to start one of those long drawn out quality things again. It would be different I'm sure if you owned one of the afore mentioned problem boats, huh, wait a minute I do own one of those! O well like I said I appreciate the mediation effort and by the way I noticed the hometown there in Tenn. and recall a grand vacation summer their in the early 80's. We did the house boat thing for a week on Cumberland and fished small mouth and stripers and generally enjoyed ourselves. Mike on Huda Thunkit CoolSmile
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Interesting story. There has to be much more info coming.

Just a comment. The C-Dory dealers did not drop the C-Dory lines. The C-Dory dealers that took on Cape Cruisers were dropped by C-Dory. Some of the C-dory dealers were having trouble getting enough 25'CD's when this happened. All of a sudden, many 25'CD's were available.

Will be following this very interesting story. Who needs a warranty on a good product? Nobody gave me a warranty on my 1983 22' Angler when I purchased it a few years ago. The engines are still waranted by the mnufacturers.

Fred

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passagemaker magazine had an interesting article about ppl buying used trawlers a few month's ago. Toward the end, they reiterated the advantage of buying used boats in that you escape the inevitable trouble shooting of new boats, new designs, and new systems.

John
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffheap wrote:

Who needs a warranty on a good product? Nobody gave me a warranty on my 1983 22' Angler when I purchased it a few years ago. The engines are still waranted by the mnufacturers.

Fred

I beg to differ, Fred. Used boats have Caveat Emptor warranties, just like the unsold CC's will have. There I agree with you.

New buyers, especially unsophisticated boat buyers demand and need factory warranties. No matter how good the product may be, feces occurs! Ask any of us with boats bought new. Mine needed new fuel tanks - defective manufacture. Gel coat/fiberglass strengthening at the cabin/cockpit gunnel point - hull warranty. Gel crack in the bow area under the mattress, hull warranty, even down to a defective door lock - first year warranty. What would I have paid to get that work done? Given that the cabin/cockpit repair was over $500, I would estimate my factory warranty saved me roughly 5% of the purchase price. Did it affect my personal opinion of C-Dory products? Not in the least, even though I never even got a C-Dory hat out of the deal. It's far and away the most reliable ride I've ever owned.

I wouldn't dream of buying a new C-Dory, CC, Toyota or (especially) a Dodge anything without a good warranty. To be honest, I did look at the Cape Cruiser with an eye to upgrading and there were several "improvements" that impressed me. To think that they might have been developed by folks working at C-Dory and then implemented in their own product by those same folk after leaving C-Dory makes me nauseous. The only thing worse might be selling their improved designs to Brunswick....

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did it affect my personal opinion of C-Dory products? Not in the least, even though I never even got a C-Dory hat out of the deal.

Hey Don, PM me your address and I will send you a hat. I've got several extras.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Sneaks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Leigh wrote:

Hey Don, PM me your address and I will send you a hat. I've got several extras.

Wow thanks. I never quite believed what my nephew always said about you. Xmas LOL Guess he was right.

I owe you one.

Don
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don-

Send me your address- I'll send you a Dodge patch to sew on your new C-Dory hat!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday the 15th was the last time I was on this site and there were 250 posts since then. I am still without power from our little storm.

I was most interested in this thread because one of the ex-CC people and one of the Tolands is going to help me add 24 inches to my boat after Christmas. They will do the fiberglass work and I will do most of the other work.

Pat will not have the last 18’ C-Dory built by the Tolands anymore.

_________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sneaks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Don-
Send me your address- I'll send you a Dodge patch to sew on your new C-Dory hat!
Joe.

I thought the only effective patch for a Dodge was Mar-Hyde.

Wink

Don
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up CoolSmile
Alasgun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: cape cruiser out of business Reply with quote

Since you already opened up this Dodge thing I have to add a bit by saying I have never understood someone buying something that has the instructions written all over it saying "Dodge ?" Mike on Huda Thunkit
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my old 22' CD directly from Mark Toland in 1983 at their shop which is the present CC shop. Roy Toland, his father and designer of C-Dory hulls, took me and my sons out on a test run before I bought to prove that a flat bottomed boat could perform w/o pounding.
Both of them were fine upstanding fellows and a pleasure to deal with.
Mark took my personal check for the entire boat and I drove off into the sunset to Alaska w/o any credit check or warranty. When I needed anything for my boat or trailer they supplied it at almost cost and free shipping. What more do I want??
I hope they come out of this problem and I am sorry to see that CC closed down. I wish them well.
Last year my wife and I went out for a test run on a 23' CC. It was a good boat, performed well etc. but the interior design did not lend itself to fishing like I use my boat for.
That is why I am looking for a 25' CD (it will be HIGH TIDE II)to replace my old faithful 22' and get a few more ammenities for the co-pilot and myself. Very Happy

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any court updates or other 2 cents worth?
mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

web site is up and running again with the 2007 line
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: