View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Knowledge Base? Reply with quote

I've noticed that there are a number of topics that come up repeatedly (with minor variations). The people who post these questions are often advised to do a search for the topic to read what has been said before. Unfortunately, because the search function is not very sophisticated AND because many of the topics involve words with multiple uses, one has to sift through many threads before finding partial answers. Eventually enough partial answers are found that one can get a fair idea of what the prevailing sentiment on the topic is, but it takes considerable effort.

So, I have a modest proposal. Here's some background. In the software world, specifically the Linux world where I used to live (I'm retired and running mostly Mac OS X now) volunteers would gather together all the information on a particular topic ( such as setting up a sound board with a Linux computer) and post them as a HOWTO on the website.

I know that we have an archive section, but from what I have observed, the SysOps just move complete threads to that section and give them a label. What I am suggesting is a more organized effort by those members with particular expertise in a given topic, to pull together relevant posts from different threads into one new document.

Here are some possible topics:

Care and feeding of the Wallas Stove
One engine or two?
Camper Canvas strategies
etc., etc., etc.

I think this is a great site and I really appreciate the efforts that the SysOps put into it. This is a way for members to give back beyond simply responding to messages.

In Community,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done it now, Warren. It just so happens we were looking for a volunteer.

Early last year, Bill came up with a similar idea, albeit less formal than what you may have in mind. He created a forum called The Brat FAQ and intended it to be used as an index of sorts linking users to the many different threads on the many different topics. I think when we first talked about it we all thought Sea Wolf Joe would be a great one to moderate and maintain it. Now I don't know if old Joe told Bill to stuff it or if we never got around to asking him, but the forum has been languishing out of sight since it was created.

I enabled your user account to see and use the forum, and set you as a Moderator on it so you can edit the posts (well, there's only one there). I think when you see the post it will be pretty clear what Bill had in mind. And since you mentioned the Penguin, I know Bill would want you to see it.

The idea behind keeping it so simple was to minimize the editing, moving and refining that the Mods and Admins would have to do so this can remain a hobby. Take a look at what is there and see what you think.

Thanks!

Mike
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I did for my own use about a year ago was to create an organized set of bookmarks of images of modifications that people have posted. Some of the modifications people have made are posted unde the library forum but many of the good ones are simply in individual users albums. I found it useful to keep a collection of ideas around in image form so I created by own organized set of bookmrks. I have them in my bookmarks organized by titles such as ElectronicsShelf, Transom Mods, Roof Racks etc. I think I posted a collection of links to the photos awhile ago but I can't seem to find it. I'd be happy to recreate that as part of this effort.

On edit --

I found it - it's posted here

I could update it though...

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has the potential of being a great asset to this site, if it is followed through with.
________
Dave
Doryman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welcome any assistance you care to provide. I'm hoping this will become a community effort, much like a Wiki, if you are familiar with those.

Warren
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm familiar with Wikis (I have one for my research group) and love them. If you're thinking of a wiki-like effort - why not do it on Wikipedia? We could create a C-Dory and C-Brat entry there and work away on it...

On edit. I created a brief wikipedia link. Others should feel free to add to it. It's just a quick mock-up...
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike points out that Bill and I last year did dicsuss the issues of recurrent topics and archive retrieval, etc.

Without writing a book, here are some points that I made in the discussion.

Topics frequently recurr, of course. This is both good and bad in that while new members are exposed to the information and others have the fun of getting to pass it on, older members grow weary of some constantly repeated topics. To be fair however, the constant introduction of new members and some natural re-discussion of basic topics does actually serve as a great introductory regimen for our new and older members to meet each other.

As far as the establishment of a managment system goes-

A single moderator of FAQ's might well be overwhelmed by the volume of information to be managed.

Several moderators could work together, each specializing in a general area of discussion and expertise, but the overall structure might appear to newcomers as established and static with such appointed persons, e.g., an old guard or old boy network.

With these ideas in mind, it really would be a great improvement to simply

1. improve the functioning of the search engine, and to

2. introduce a Wiki of some sort to expedite information organization and retrieval.

Great Ideas!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
I'm familiar with Wikis (I have one for my research group) and love them. If you're thinking of a wiki-like effort - why not do it on Wikipedia? We could create a C-Dory and C-Brat entry there and work away on it...

On edit. I created a brief wikipedia link. Others should feel free to add to it. It's just a quick mock-up...

I'm leery of any effort that would fragment the knowledge already here on c-brats.com. I'm trying to make this website more useful, not less useful.

Having said that, I applaud your wikipedia link efforts and hope they bring more visitors here.

Warren
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people find this to be one of the more useful boating web groups around, so let's not try to fix it too much. Part of the charm is the disorganization. The information is already on the pages, it is just sometimes hard to find. Making it easier to find would be a great help, but we don't want to move, alter or rewrite it.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Part of the charm is the disorganization.

Mike- I'm trying to go to the factory party to see if you are wearing your nametag yet. You've created a wonderful thing here, and, like the proverbial bean stalk, it just keeps growing. Huh

"...we're all in the same boat..."
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
TyBoo wrote:
Part of the charm is the disorganization.

Mike- I'm trying to go to the factory party to see if you are wearing your nametag yet.

Funny you should mention name tags .....lol....
I have one specially made up for Tyboo Mike and will personally slap it on him....lol...

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENSEI wrote:
I have one specially made up for Tyboo Mike and will personally slap it on him....lol...

Oh no - not again! I tried to avoid Lizbeth year before last and failed. Last year I was scared to go. This year I thought maybe it was safe. Oh well, a hug from Lizbeth is worth whatever gets slapped on, but please, let her do it, Roger.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENSEI wrote:

I want to be around when Roger ("Sensei") "slaps" that name tag on Tyboo. I'll volunteer to do the "compressions" on Mike's chest, but Ken (BC) is going to have to plant his lips on Mike's to do the "ventilations"... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

C-Brat #16
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know, I've know Mike for several years, I like Mike, I respect Mike, Mike is a helluva guy...but, Mike, you're probably aint going to get revived
Quote:
Ken (BC) is going to have to plant his lips on Mike's to do the "ventilations"...

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One one thousand, two one thousand....don't worry Mike, I'm practicin'....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: