View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: The Weather in Seattle Reply with quote

OK, we give! Uncle! Floods, snowstorms and now a record or near record windstorm. And the Seahawks are in total disarray too! A million people without power, including us, thank heavens for that Costco $400 Generac 5 kw generator!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Alasgun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: The Weather in Seattle Reply with quote

Gee Pat, I'm sorry you live in such a hostile environment. Maybe there is something to all of Mr. Gore's weather predictions! Here on the slope (several hundred miles ABOVE the arctic circle) it is 20 degrees at 5:45 this morning, and no wind. Yea, I know there's no day light either but what the heck.
By the way, I was saddened to here about your recent loss. We tell our selves, this is natural and a normal thing but when we have to face those realities it's not as easy as logic makes it sound.
Mike on Huda Thunkit CoolSmile
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not in much better shape here in portland, PGE has 180,000 customers without power including my house. The work place has power so at least I can surf.

I live out in the sticks so doubt that PGE will have the house back on line for a couple of days and need to get my generator going this afternoon for the frig and freezer. Glad I have a wood stove for heat.

Lot of downed trees and flooded roads, no street lights and most the the traffic signals are off line. Little erie driving in to work.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, what did you people do to tick off Mother Nature so much? Seems like it's been relentless the past couple months. Sending our best wishes for some decent weather for y'all.

We left the Tropical Tip of Texas to go to the chilly dessert (Phoenix), and are now on Maui. The 4 hour time difference has made for a very early morning. Wink I had a message from B-C Ken on my phone, and hope we can get together for a C-Brats Cheeseburger in Paradise Gathering... and discuss the weather back home.

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan B.

B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a sunburn yesterday while snorkling Sad it sounds like we picked a good time to be gone

catch ya later Jim

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang- You guys are getting hammered! Shocked Hope it passes over and gets better for the Boat Show. Rolling Eyes
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its already passed up here in Vancouver. We have about 500,000 or so without power. A small amount of flodding and some downed trees, but the sun has broken through and the wind has died. I have all my christmas shopping done so life ain't too bad. We probably didn't get hit quite as hard as Seatle this time. Victoria took a fair good hit though. The radio was reports gusts up to 150km. (about 90mi)
Hope those without power at home get it back soon.
Ron
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't much for us. The top wind speed on the roof of the house was 53 mph. I think it was a bit stronger up higher off ground, though. Lots of trees toppled, and half of Warrenton, parts of Astoria, and surrounding rural areas still in the dark. Our house lights went out at 3:00 pm Thursday and came back on at 3:00 this morning. Had a couple short bumps since. The boat in its slip rode it out like a champ. No problems at all.

The NOAA buoys recorded swells of 30+ feet and 20' wind waves at the CR mouth. No flooding to speak of close to the river, though. The CR is five miles wide down here, and it holds a whole bunch of water.

I had to work today, but the kids got to skip school. No fair.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and while I feel for the folks who are harmed by the weather, I am glad that there was some power outage in the Seattle area. It got me a nice phone call from Brock. Well, a voice message anyway - the cell phone signals are haywire this evening.
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to talk to you, Tyboo. When Jamie called I thought she was another misdial. She ain't no wrong number, that's for sure. She and her sister can call me any time.

Glad everyone's safe. It was a heck of a ride up here. I was out till 1 a.m. walking all around last night, taking a thumpin' and listening to my ICOM IC-M32 handheld VHF. Phone
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Da Nerd, for posting the cruise cancellation notice over there. Too bad we can't see this gig through. But stuff happened up here. A cedar tree fell in our yard and I most likely have a day of cutting all carved out.
Rose
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power went out here Thursday just before 7 PM (Jefferson loses power when there's NO storm for no apparent reason, so we were pretty sure we'd be in the dark). Woke up Friday brrrrrrrr morning and went to work hoping they'd have power...Steve's job always has power (costs too much for them to shut down) but there was nothing but cold and darkness at my job (it's usually kinda dark there at 5:30AM, but the light switches and alarm system said nothing when I unlocked the door and tried the lights) -- so I took my flashlight and went out to the maintenance shop to see if I could help out getting generators going and lights on in the shop...loaded some freight in the courier's rig and by then we had some rigged up lighting, so I did some filing....then came home to the BOAT! had a cup of coffee, but didn't leave the stove on any longer than necessary (checked the vent right above the rail and shut it off as soon as the stove was cooled off) -- called Steve and said "We're going to town and get a motel tonight!" Power's back on this morning -- YIPPPPEEEEE!

Sure wish the rivers could get a break and lose the debris and mud so we could get out there and go fishing!
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lost power on S. Whidbey about 0815 Thursday Night. That was shortly followed by a huge wind gust which took out a Douglas fir and deposited it against the house. Two feet right and it would have taken out the master bathroon. As it was it put a 3 inch branch through the roof just for fun.
And that was before the storm got here !!
The boat was 200 ft away from this darned tree and it still got whacked with a branch. No damage.
Still no power. have light and heat thanks to Honda and propane.

Got lots of firewood !!!

Now all it needs is James to do another of his posts from TX about balmy sunsets..........

Merv
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our power just came back on a few minutes ago - has been quite a ride, but all okay. Firewood I've got - two trailer loads of branches already hauled away and a couple more to go. Some damage to one car, but it's just a Honda.

Y'all have fun!!!

Dusty
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy wrote:
Now all it needs is James to do another of his posts from TX about balmy sunsets..........

Merv

We're not in Texas right now, Merv. We just finished attending the first Maui/Cheeseburger in Paradise C-Brat gathering, the crew of Blue~C and Wild Blue present. It was a real pleasure to meet Ken, Marge, and Tyler and "talk story" over burgers. We both lamented over not having our boats here and discussed how much kidneys are going for (to be able to afford to get our boats here Wink ).

From the old JB song: the weather is here, wish you were beautiful.

Best wishes and Aloha,
Jim B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: