View previous topic :: View next topic  
djnward

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: HobbEs
Photos: HobbEs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Sizing a Bruce anchor Reply with quote

Howdy - I'm wondering if the 5 kg/11 lb Bruce anchor is large enough for the CD22 or if upsizing to the 7.5kg /16.5lb is necessary. The 5kg looks awfully small though it is rated for up to a 23' boat!
Dick
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whe we got our 22' we got a sinful deal on a Bruce 5kg(genuine Bruce, 15' 3/8 chain, 175' 1/2 rode $20 at the spring marine garage sale down in Seattle) and so put that on. It looked too small to me so we went ahead and got the 11kg and retired the 5kg to 2nd anchor status. It ives under the rear seat. I am much more comfortable with the larger anchor. It is a case of being a little overcautious rather than worrying about whether the smaller anchor will hold. I think many Cbrats however have and are happy with the smaller anchor. There!! hows that for coming down on both sides of the issue. Smile
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops Embarassed I meant 7.5kg not 11kg for our main anchor
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick,

You'll always sleep better with one size larger than reccommended. TC255 with 22# Delta. Thumbs Up

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djnward-

Some facts to consider:

Firstly, there are an awful lot of C-Dory 22 folks with 11 lbs Bruce type anchors, and we don't hear negative things about them. It appears to be the most popular size of the Bruce on 22's.

Secondly and conversely, the 11 lb Bruce is at the uppper end of it's range with the CD-22 (max. 23') (Although the C-Dory is lighter than a lot of boats for it's size, it does have quite a bit of windage.)

Thirdly, the anchor chain is of paramount importance in making any anchor work by using it's weight to bury the anchor and maintain a horizontal pull on it, rather than allow it to be lifted. Length of the rode (scope ratio) is also of paramount inportance. Don't short your anchor system with a diminutive bit of chain regardless of which anchor you select.

Fourthly, the Bruce works best in rocks and sand, but pulls through soft mud. It resets easily. Be sure people in your area have used it with good results, and ask about what size they use.

Fifthly and additionally, the exact anchor type and size one selects should be chosen in reference to the specific anchoring conditions anticipated. If you plan on anchoring overnight in areas where there are strong winds, storms, anticipated swings in the current, etc.----you may want to opt for the next larger size or so! If, on the other hand, you mostly anticipate anchoring during the day when fishing, the smaller anchor may be quite adequate.

Sixthly, if you think you won't be able to sleep at night or just plain be comfortable with the smaller sized anchor, you'll never be comfortable until you DO move up in size.

Now I know all of this at once sounds confusing, but these are all factors to consider and weigh against each other. And before you select that 22 lb anchor and 30 feet of chain (22 more lbs), be sure you're ready to hoist the 44 lbs back on board. I wouldn't want to do it by hand from 300 feet! Can you spell C-A-R-D-I-A-C.......A-R-R-E-S-T ?

Xmas LOL

JOE.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22lb Bruce is what we use on our 25 CD. It sets well and has held in all conditions experienced so far. Including two nights swinging in Squirrel Cove Desolation sound with wind gusting up to about 35knts through the anchorage. If I remember correctly we had the 14lb Bruce on our previous 22 CD. I was happy with it.

My anchor wench has no problem pulling it and the 30ft of chain. She actually says she likes the exercise. Laughing

Ron
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the 7.5 kg Bruce with 30 feet of chain and can't recall ever dragging an anchor even with a scope of 2:1 during the day fishing in 4 knots of current in the Cook Inlet (180 feet of water and almost all 400 feet of rode out). During overnights in 30 to 50 feet of water and gravel bottom with 150 feet out, I only recall having the chain come off the bottom and the boat jerk around one time when the wind was hitting 30-40 knots. The next size up is worth it. I use a Fortress (12 or 18)as a back up anchor since it breaks down so small, but have a 5 kg Bruce as the third backup in the garage.

And Joe, I use to pull it with a buoy, even then, yarding that much line into the boat along with chain is some work. I now have a windlass and aside from periodic excursions into the V-berth to move the rode pile around, 400 feet of 1/2 inch plus 30 feet of chain fits pretty well in my modified locker.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron on Meander wrote:
My anchor wench has no problem pulling it and the 30ft of chain. She actually says she likes the exercise.

If she reads these post you may find your anchor, anchored to your head. Xmas LOL Xmas LOL
_________
Dave
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about getting a windlass but I'd much rather have an ANCHOR WENCH.

djnward

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: HobbEs
Photos: HobbEs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks! I'll be getting a 16.5 pounder. I've seen the "Claw" and the "Plastimo" at West Marine for alot cheaper but I think to sleep better Ill just pay for the Bruce. Any thoughts?
Dick

........you know, I've looked all through the marine supply houses and I can't find "anchor wench" anywhere!?
CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny this would come up today. I just got home from buying a 7.5kg Bruce at West Marine tonight, and took advantage of their Holiday pricing, at least in my area. I was using a 5kg Bruce for the last 5 years, but last summer dragged on a 180 degree wind shift, in a crowded anchorage on a dark and stormy night. First time in 25 years using Bruce anchors I have dragged. I think the 5kg Bruce is a little undersized for the 22ft C-Dory and just feel better with the larger anchor. Thirty ft of chain helps also.

ps. Anyone want a good deal on a well used 5kg genuine Bruce Anchor?

Merry Christmas!

Dun (CTYankee)
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJNWARD- On my 22' I use a 16.5 bruce knock off. I use the factory bow roller with no problems to report as of yet.
I went with the bigger one because I applied the "if some is good more is better concept". Necessary???? Probably not. But as Sea Wolf pointed out you sleep better. He has sound logic and I respect his opinion.

I was simply amazed how well the Bruce style Anchor holds in sand! Thumbs Up Shocked Wow!

Honestly I don't anchor to much but the Burce does what it should when its dropped. Wink

Chris Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW C-BRAT POLL:

WINCH:_________

OR

WENCH:__________

<boobie shot snipped by Da Prude>

VOTE FOR ONE (OR BOTH IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT)

SERIOUSLY, WE'VE NEVER DONE AN ANCHOR TYPE SURVEY, BUT IT WOULD BE PRETTY COMPLICATED BECAUSE OF THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ANCHORS, THE DIFFERENT WEIGHTS, AND WHICH BOAT THEY'RE BEING USED ON. ALSO, WHICH ANCHOR YOU USE DEPENDS ON LOCAL CONDITIONS SO MUCH THAT A SURVEY MIGHT BE NOT THAT USEFUL.

Joe.

Edited by Da Nag...let's keep it PG 13
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this theard and I think I will get one.
Alasgun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Sizing a Bruce Anchor Reply with quote

Good morning to everyone in Dorydom, I am reading this thread with interest and can only offer small tidbits of opinion due to our limited experience with the Bruce.
Last season was our first to anchor ANYTHING, but through the tutelage received on this site, we purchased the 16.5 Bruce and 30 ft. of Stainless chain and coupled it with a 600ft. shot of 1/2 double braid. It has not drug nor caused any problems to date. I should also mention this is on a 25 ft'er. Yea, I know we did deviate from the advise to use 3 strand line but that was where I called on my commercial fishing buddies advise.
During the time spent researching this anchor thing I looked at the Rocna's which are guaranteed to set it one meter!! Their web site has some impressive video footage and in side by side test it appears to out perform my Bruce, the CQR, the Delta fast set etc. Great advertising for sure but the one question I kept coming back to was "if this thing sets so good and so deep how difficult will it be to break out?" They are also very expensive and don't have good dealer support anywhere within 1200 miles of us so we went Bruce.
Looking back I feel good with this decision and have come to realize there is more to this anchor thing than how well it does any ONE thing well.
P.S, Hey Joe, I thought I had the market on ballsiness, but you sure took the prize with that last poll you launched!
Mike on Huda Thunkit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: