The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Navigating Debris Fields - Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Navigating Debris Fields - Help! Reply with quote

Well, we had a great time at Bell Harbor this weekend but had a heck of time trying to navigate through the debris fields to get there!!
We left Tacoma and headed up East Passage and there was so much debris that we could not get around it. Can anyone help us with general guidelines on how you should navigate through this stuff? Should you slow way down to a crawl and try to dodge everything? Should you just go smoothly through the smaller stuff and the bow wake will brush it aside? There were some times where we were completely surrounded by all sizes of trees, limbs, sticks, etc. and we were really uncertain as to how to proceed through. Coming back today we had no trouble, thankfully!!
Appreciate any advice!!

Jeff and Julie
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just slow down to 4-5 knots and then duck and dodge through the larger stuff. If you are on a plane and you even go over some smaller stuff it can get into your prop or lodge on the forward side of the skeg.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another advantage for twins..... Go to one engine, tilt the other up and navigate slowly!! Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or tilt the kicker down, get the main up to safety and go slow with the kicker. Wink

Dusty

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Choice wrote:
Another advantage for twins..... Go to one engine, tilt the other up and navigate slowly!! Laughing

Charlie

Yes, we've suffered that advantage too. Seems we were always HAVING to tilt the one motor up to get rid of whatever was stuck between the two engines. Like our twins but could do without that advantage.

Jay

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say GO SLOW! On two separate occasions I raced through what I thought was a hole in a s*** slick only to overheat my motor. Both times sea-grass had wrapped my l.u. and blocked my water intake. If you choose to blast through a debris field then check immediately your tell-tale.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow, with the motor tilted up to help to keep the material from hanging up on the pont of the lower unit--also tends to be less likely to have a prop blade hit a large piece of debris.

We try and avoid trees or any larger debris. Watch the "pee" stream of the outboard--and if it deminishes, many of the boats will allow you to back flush the cooling, thru the flushing port up in the upper part of the engine (place varies by motor). We have a Jabsco diaphragm pump, which will allow you to pick up raw water (or use the raw water washdown hose if you have one)--put a fine mesh screen over the intake--or a inline intake filter.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, as long as it's not your own debris field, you've already had a successful day. Wink

I do as David suggested, slow it down and dodge the big stuff. Also, a key thing to remember is that "where there is some sh*t, there's usually more sh*t". This is because debris tends to accumulate in the tide lines. Hence if you see much of any debris, it's often good to slow down as you transit the area. That small debris you see first, may be near a big dead head (and not the Grateful Dead kind although that is theoretically possible too!).

Sometimes if you pay close attention, you'll notice the debris field follows a single line at the tide line. When this is perpendicular to your course, it's no big deal - once you're through, you're in clear water. If the tide line is parallel to your desired course and loaded with debris, it's best to get off course a little.

Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boating out of Commencment Bay after flooding in the Puyallup River can be a real adventure. For some reason this last flood brought an incredible amount of debris into the local water ways. Some are pointing fingers at a local wood products company, I'm not sure of the details, but the debris field was more that just river wash. Two things to take note of in this area, as well as other large river mouths in Puget Sound. Flooding, and with the flooding, extreme high tides. These together wash debris from the rivers but also wash beaches of "high water debris". This debris can stay in the area waters for a long period of time, and can move with the currents many miles. Last year after a period of extreme high tides and strong winds, I got into junk in Hale Pass near Fox Island. I couldn't go more than a few feet without running into logs, etc. One log I ended up going over, was about 15 feet long and 1 foot in diameter. It was "floating" just below the surface. I was moving at a very slow speed and was able to avoid any damage. You just have to go slow and keep your eyes on where you are going. You will find most junk will be in the same area, and will follow current lines. This helps to navigate through it, but in the winter months especially, you just have to keep your eyes on the water ahead.

When you are traveling at speed, you also need to feel comfortable steering the boat in a fast turn "hard to one side than hard to the other" dodge maneuver, that will slide the boat and motor around a unexpected object that you can not slow down in time to avoid. If you find yourself doing this dodge, it is probably time to sloooow down. As others have said, where there is some stuff, there is usually more stuff.

From Tacoma going north, Colvos Passage tends to have less junk than East Passage, but my guess is that most of what you ran into was between Commencement Bay and Pt Robinson on Vashon Island. No fun going through this stuff.

I hope that your trip, other than the junk, was a good one. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have debris lines even here on Lake Shasta, an inland lake.

They're mostly caused by the wind shifting directions after it's finished piling all the debris, which is mostly wood from downed trees and bushes along with some boards, against one shore.

The biggest caveat I can offer is that the really big logs and boards which are usually heaviily waterlogged, move more slowly than the smaller and lighter pieces, which means that the most dangerous objects are sometimes not on the debris line itself, but lagging behind somewhat.

All the more reason to slow down and keep a sharp eye out when you suspect floating objects.

One arm of the lake has never had the trees removed so as to provide fish cover, so there are underwater hazards there which don't show up on the surface.

We have our share of deadheads too, but ours are of the misplaced 60's genere. "Dr., Dr., Mr. MD, can you tell me what's ailing' me....................... Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Thumbs Up CoolSmile

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just love that debri. Thats why the wendsay night sailboat race in everet iscalled the log dodge. slow down for the big stuff and after passing thru the little stuff, stop put the boat in reverse and pull a tight u- turn back wards. This will clear all the weeds and little sticks off the lower unit and the intakes.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Slow, with the motor tilted up to help to keep the material from hanging up on the pont of the lower unit--also tends to be less likely to have a prop blade hit a large piece of debris.

Every so often I read a post that makes so much sense and I wonder why I did not think of it. Thanks for the tidbit Bob.

starcrafttom wrote:
after passing thru the little stuff, stop put the boat in reverse and pull a tight u- turn back wards. This will clear all the weeds and little sticks off the lower unit and the intakes.

And I have to repeat myself for this tidbit. Thanks Tom.
________
Dave
Jeff and Julie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your suggestions! We really appreciate the insight from this site!
Robbi,
We did come back Colvos and it was much better! Thanks for sharing that tip.

Jeff and Julie
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff and Julie.... what type of boat do you have? Not in your profile, no photo albumn... and I do recall meeting a couple at last years Seattle Boat show named Jeff and Julie that were buying on of the new CR-25 Tugs.
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Jeff and Julie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman,
We have an aluminum with an outboard. We weren't the ones buying the tug, ...yet!!!
Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: