The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is bigger better? Help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:

In all honesty, what's wrong with a wide mouth peanut butter jar in the middle of the night? Wink

Come on, Dave, try to keep up - he wasn't talking about needing a snack in the middle of the night, he's talking about having to pe... oh, nevermind. Crook

A friend of ours used to talk about having a can-o-pee on his sailboat... guess he wasn't talking about a bimini, huh? Wink

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pitch my 25 cents worth in here. All of these boats (including the 25 tug) are basically two person plus one (?) boats. The Tug is the most elequent--but the small aft cabin is too small for more than one person or two children. l The only other way to sleep more is on the saloon table--and that is a pain.

The 22 and 25 are very similar--a little more room in the 25--but the head is enclosed and there is a shower.

Don't worry about the non self bailing cockpit. The Banks dory rowed across the Atlantic wasn't self bailing!

We went with the TC 255 for several reasons--first the ride, higher speed in rougher water. Second the ease of getting into the bunk. We haven't slept in the bunk in the 25--but is is similar to the 22--slightly easier to get into... and finally the more room/and enclosed head/shower. We do well with portipotties--but moving things in and out of the foreward cabin was a bit. With the TC 255 there is a lot more storage place for my "stuff", cameras etc.

As for dogs--we have traveled about 100,000 miles on the water with dogs, mostly labs. We used a pet step on the 22--and could use one on the 25 and the TC 255 (we are down to a 22 # dog now). A lab on any of these boats is not a problem.

We had a little over 3 hours use of the 25 Ranger--and I don't see any basic problems (I did post our review and speeds etc on that thread). The issue is how fast do you want to run the boat? Second--I think that the 25 Ranger will be the most difficult to trailer of the bunch. I have no idea if a larger engine will be put in that boat--but that would not keep me from buying one, if I wanted that style of boat. It will never have the speed of the 25 or the TC 255.

Trailering--by far the 22 is the easiest boat I have owned to trailer. We used a Honda Pilot, a 3/4 Ton van and a 30 foot RV.
So far towing TC 255 is fine, but we need a little steeper ramp. So far that has not been a problem. We purchased a 2001 Diesel Excursion with 135K miles for $12,000- This is a vehicle we only use if we need to carry a lot of people or tow the boat. The costs of keeping this vehicle is not high. I suspect that many of the other larger boat owners also have trucks they use primarly for towing the boat.

There is a Rosobrough owners group--and I moniter it. These are good boats--but a bit different than the C Dory in style. Many folks run these like trawers with the smaller engines.

Get some time to both ride on each of the boats--and spend a couple of hours on each boat alone and just see "how it fits". Talk out potential problem areas, look for solutions in these threads--and enjoy! You cannot go wrong with any of these.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob --
We are in Lakewood, CO most of this winter. If you have any plans to come over Denver way, drop an e-mail and lets all have a lunch together. Your wife and El can talk about life aboard a CD-22 and we'll both try to answer any questions you have about towing from CO to the NW (or elsewhere) and the joys of living aboard a C-Dory.
If you have done any reading on our Halcyon Days website, you know we have trailered the our Halcyon tens of thousands of miles and cruised her for 22,500 miles. This past summer we cruised with our son and grandson for five weeks in Alaska, and it was an unforgettable joy. We have also cruised with our daughter and her two little girls along the Rideau Canal in Canada and the St. Johns River in FL -- they still talk about Halcyon as though the boat was one of the family.
You probably also know from our site that we are firm believers that the smallest boat on which you can be comfortable is the best -- NOT the largest boat. Small has so many advantages that we don't want to begin on that and you can read about it on our website -- but briefly, easier to haul, store, maneuver, launch and the shallow draft takes you to places others can't reach -- and she's cheaper to haul and cruise.
Come on over for a visit -- el and bill

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of wonderful ideas and thoughts to sift through here!

One last thought I'll offer is that if you start with a 22, you're taking the safest route.

If it works out fine in the long run, that's the end of the problem/search.

If it doesn't, it will be easier to resell and move up than if you decide you don't need all that bigger boat and have to move back down.

This is true because the 22 is much easier to resell simply because it is more affordable to most and fits most folks needs.

Secondly, with the 22 you're less likely to be involved with a loan that will be difficult to back out of.

You can ignore this aspect if you pay cash up front, but the 22 will still be easier to sell or trade in on a larger model than vis'-a-vis'.

(Plus you won't have bought a larger tow vehicle.)

Just another two cents!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:25 am; edited 2 times in total
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe – of all the post on this thread, your last one makes the most sense for purchasing the 22.
________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seawolf wrote:
If it doesn't, it will be easier to resell and move up than if you decide you don't need all that bigger boat and have to move back down.

This is true because the 22 is much easier to resell simply because it is more affordable to most and fits most folks needs.

Joe,
I agree that it is easy to sell a 22 (or in my case, a 16, and then a 22) however it is my experience that you will lose some money on each sale. I did any way. Several thousand each time.

For me, the 25 is the far better cruising boat for us and our two dogs. Mainly for the added room, and that is considerable. More space to pass in the aisle, more storage, and able to carry a bigger cruising payload.
A bigger dog can actually take up more space than a person as they don't utilize the seats and tend to want to swim and romp on the beach a lot more and then bring the accumulated sand and moisture back aboard. Rolling Eyes We've had three adults and the two dogs about for a three day trip and that was not too bad.
As far as trailering and launching goes, the 22 is slightly easily to launch and retrieve. Towing, given the he proper vehicle is not an issue to me. I definitely wouldn't go back to my 22 for cruising. Although I might be talked into getting a 16 again for just fishing. Laughing
Ron
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good info so far from folks far more experienced than I with the C-Dory. However, a significant difference between the 22 and the larger craft is the beam. The others are wider. I think that is what ppl are referring to when they mention "elbow room" and "passing room".

For many years I have dreamed of owning a CD 22. I love the 22, and feel like I will eventually end up owning one when hauling the big TomCat around gets to be too much. For now, I am working and feel like I can always go back down (down, size-wise only) to the 22 as an old codger... The 22 is like the VW camper van, the absolute in efficiency, light weight, low cost use, low hassle, etc..

The ladies generally want the enclosed head and I am not that far behind, esp. if company is aboard. There is more room and speed on the TomCat for grandkids, pets, company, water toys, etc..

Having had to tear out, clean and rebuild several true marine heads and holding tanks, the porta-potti (best in a closed head), or Pat Anderson's composting unit, look like alot less hassle. I do like the new 9gal head/tank combos on the TomCats now, since you have total access if there is a problem, but still not as easy as a porta-potti when problems arise.

Good luck, have fun, and hitch a ride any time you can! John
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the 16 footer. For two people it's almost everything the 22 footer is but all the costs are at least half. (We had the Wallas for heat on the 22, but never even boiled water with it Our Lil Buddy heater cost $67) And we do probably twice as much day boating as we did on the 22. While it's not quite the Harley of boating it probably is the Miata. Life is too short for me to be concerned about all the stuff in the tech discussions. If the weather is half-way decent we just back up the Volvo and go. A day on the water costs about this- Gas 7.00, Ramp fee $8.00, lunch for two 15.00, propane $2.50. If I ever buy another boat, and I doubt it, it would probably be the 14 footer.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: The 16 is the absolute in efficiency and ease of use! I'd like to have one! John
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were first married, some 47 years ago, Dotty and I would meet for lunch everday in a public garden. Most days we opened our brown bag and each had a balogna sandwich and a carrot. I am considering going back to that menu and cutting my boating costs in half.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the initial post was Rob's only post...Rob, are you still out there?

Everyone's right - the CD22 is better than the CD25, and the CD25 is better than the CD22 - depending on who you are and what you do. And the CD16 is pretty great too. You have heard all or most of the pros and cons.

On the CR25 Tug, we have cancelled our order. We have a great boat in the CD25. I LOVE the look and feel of the CR25, but the physical facts (as in laws of physics) that people have pointed out in this thread and others about the relationship between speed, hp and economy are physical facts. The sales literature (I still have it) had us cruising at 16 knots with an 80 hp Yanmar burning 4 gph. That is pretty clearly not where this boat is headed.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
On the CR25 Tug, we have cancelled our order.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now where am I gonna get a used C-25 as nice as yours. I even had a special checking account dedicated to your boat at BofI.

Damn!

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Rob Dick

City/Region: Steamboat Springs
State or Province: CO
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks for all of responses. I have read each and everyone one of them many times. I have have also had a great time looking at your pictures of boats, families, pets and adventures on the website. I am amazed at the collective time and effort you have all taken to help me.

I have contacted a dealer in Washington State ( Gig Harbor) and asked him to give me a proposal for a C Dory 22. I have also contacted some people on the site that are selling used ones but subject to price I think I would rather buy a new one with a warranty and get at least the initial help and support from the dealer. I also want to pick it up in the North West and learn to use it around the San Juan Islands.

I am thinking I should order it before the Seattle Boat show because I want it first thing next spring and my guess is that they write a lot of orders at the show and I want to get mine in first. I am also trying to get to the Seattle boat show but am not sure I can yet. If I do I would love to come to a C-Brats event.

I will keep you all posted and when I get a proposal I will share it with you and my hope is that you will offer some comments and suggestions.

The first question on a new boat I can not answer is; do you want twin engines or a single with a kicker? I know the answer to the question is probably it depends on how you want to use the boat. The problem is I really don't know how I want to use the boat and how adventurous I/we will be with it.

Thank you all again.

Rob Dick
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Dick wrote:
Smile
The first question on a new boat I can not answer is; do you want twin engines or a single with a kicker?
Rob Dick

Rob-You have proved once again what Ecclesiates stated long ago-"there is nothing new under the sun". The correct answer is that you want one engine and a kicker, but those twin engines sure look spiffy . Disregard any further comments and the pages of discussion found elsewhere on the site.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choices (except for the cats which require two engines) is a single with a kicker. I see the twins as twice as much maintance. There is not as much maneverability advantage in the smaller outboards as there is in the larger inboards--but there is some.

Really you will be well off with either twins or the single with a kicker on the 22.

Good luck on the choice and boat! Enjoy the happy family!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: