The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water in the Hole

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Water in the Hole Reply with quote

From: MichaelOnTheClaraMae (Original Message) Sent: 1/23/2003 2:36 PM
On my new CD-25 there are four access hatches in the cockpit deck. They all leak like a sieve because they were installed without any sealant under the frames which makes the below deck storage areas pretty much useless. In speaking to Cam at the C-Dory shop, he said they would likely start sealing these in the future.

Also, the cuts for the hatches leave the deck's balsa core exposed, i.e., not painted or sealed in any way. Maybe not a big deal, however, I plan for my boat to be around longer than I am and the best way to do that is seal everything.

One of my projects in the near future is to remove the hatch frames, sand and gel coat the balsa edges, and reinstall the hatch frames sealing them with Boatlife silicone. This will help keep my below deck areas dry and keep me from nightmares about moisture getting sucked into the deck core like a sponge day after day.

Pictures to follow,
Michael on the Clara Mae

Michael,

Yes, you discovered the same thing I did about 2 weeks ago on my new CD25. No sealant under ANY of the 4 access hatches. I also saw no sealer on the balsa deck core either. I went ahead and removed all hatches, cleaned up the hatches and areas good, then re-bedded with Boatlife like you're going to do. I'm new to this site, came from C-DOGs ex-site. I explained all this a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe the people at the factory could even think that way when installing a hatch over a non-skid surface no less. However, easily fixed. I like those kind of problems if you have to have problems.

Steve

Steve,

Great to see you here. When I spoke to the C-Dory production manager (Cam) about this, he initially said the compartments below deck were not meant to be water tight. After I questioned why not is when he said they would likely start sealing these in the future. Note Cam was the one that contacted me. He was extremely helpful and genuinely concerned about the quality and performance of my boat.

I have another issue you would likely be interested in. Checkout the "CD-25 Bilge Design" thread.

Michael

Michael,
Would think that work would be a C-Dory warranty issue.Those hatch should have waterproof integrety if for no other reason than safety.
good luck ras

Ras,

It should be and I am sure the factory/dealer would accommodate me. I am 500 miles away from the nearest dealer, however, and the fix is really not a difficult one.

Michael
Claude Veillon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to C-Brats Online. I have a 2001 25' cruiser, and the transom hatches leak. Does anyone know how to keep water out of these compartments?

captclaude@riva.net aboard "Low Tide".

I'm sorry! I typed 25' when I meant 22'.

Last edited by Claude Veillon on Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transom hatches? Do you mean the access hatches in the deck? If so, are they leaking under the frame?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: