HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fire Extinguisher Installation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Walker

City/Region: Wherever the RV is today
State or Province: SD
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, no problem. You have contributed so much in the way of technical expertise to the site, I am happy to get a chance when a subject falls into my realm. The local jurisdiction that I was a fire inspector for was Santa Ana and I grew up in Whittier.

It sounds like you are on the right track w/ the annual replacement. Thumbs Up You know, since you are a test it out kind of guy, it would be interesting to find out whether the Kidde FE's that you are retiring each year are functional at the end of a year of pounding on a boat. Smile

Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,
I, too, replace my extinguishers, abt every 3 years, unless the gauge indicates a leak. I try to time their replacement with my flares. I do, however, keep my old flares as backup; but both are set aside for training for the USCGAUX members. It sure doesn't take long to have a big collection of flares around.

I admit that my units are Kidde units.

Thanks for your advice. I will have to revisit my methods and change out my 3 units to another brand. ???

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,
We have tested our extinguishers at the replacement time--and all have been functional. We only buy extinguishers which have guages on them (I realize that they are not very accurate)--and if the guage shows low pressure, discard the unit.

I did discuss this subject with my friend who retired 18 years ago, after 29 years with Anaheim Fire Dept--perhaps you interacted with him at some point. He was heavily involved with the OC firefighters, took surplus equptment to La Paz, Involved with Torguta Tours, organized the fireman's regatta, and some of the other things that fire fighters do...We had some great trips with the OC firefighters--Rafted the Colorado, Ski trips in the Canadian Rockies etc.

I was aboard his boat today--and he does the same thing that I do--uses Kiddie, Shakes them up regularly, checks the guages regularly etc. He also pointed out that one needs A B C extinguishers (which I carrry). Also that Kiddie makes a number of levels of fire fighting products--some of which were carried on Anaheim fire trucks--at least they were 20 or so years ago.

This individual crossed the Atlantic with us--and he was the best crew I have ever had. When he came off watch, I knew that every system on the boat had been inspected properly. He is still known as "911 Tom".

Thanks to the fire fighters! The "Good Guys"!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding annually retired boat/motorhome fire extinquishers... Like Bob, I accumulate those with the arrow right at the red/green juntion. I just place them around the farm and house in areas one would not usually need a fire extinguisher for life-saving needs, barn, garage, basement, tractor barn, pump house, grain bins, hay stacks, etc.... and then fire them when they get red. Amazingly , most seem to work OK even tho in the red.

John
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizontal installation is just fine. That is now the normal installation in a motorhome.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably be a good idea for everyone to try and fire one at least once. Just to see what they are really capable of. I once had an oven fire with a pressurized kerosene stove. None of the fire extinguishers worked, not even the halon. Only killed the flames until the oxygen came back. The only thing that really worked was the soda filled one. Don't get caught anywhere in an oxygen lean area when you try a halon, I still have the scars from the scramble out of the cabin after I torched off one of those. And for car fires, the run of the mill small ones we normally carry won't do much for engine compartment fires. I have thrown three or four at some of them, with no effect. It takes a pretty good sized extinguisher to maintain enough stream to knock down flames and get the combustibles cool enough so they won't re-ignite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: