The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Splash Rails on a CD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Splash Rails on a CD? Reply with quote

I'm not positive, but I think my CD25 is wetter than others in heavy chop because I kept my bow down more than the 22's and others. Seems my wipers get a pretty good workout most trips. I ran across this article in Power & Motoryacht (free subscrip) regarding splash rails. Got me thinking. Maybe, just maybe it would take some of the spray out of my trips...

I scanned 3 pictures on this article, they start here.

The placement on this person's boat is different than would be mine, his is higher for his sharp bow, displacement type hull. I'd probably go with just above the lowest chine-strake at the waterline or close to it. Anybody had any thoughts towards this on their boat? Would hate to disturb the lines, they make two widths, it epoxys to the hull. At $600 (mail order), a bit steep in price to experiment, but are made very tough according to the author. Also, if your placement isn't right the first time, ahh, oh well, can't change it without major reconstructive surgery. I have the complete article if anyone is interested.

Link fixed by Da Nag

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power

Last edited by Dora~Jean on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you can fashion some spray rails out of oak, to whatever cross section you like, to whatever length you prefer, and glass them onto the hull. Re-coat with epoxy, and sand and finish with good epoxy paint, and they will last forever. For a lot less than $600.

Looks like a ten-foot piece of 5/4 by 4 inch oak should be plenty. Any friend with a table saw and a rip fence can fashion the shape you need. the epoxy and any glass would run maybe $30, tops.

Fasteners to hold it to the hull while the epoxy adhesive sets might be problematical. Others here will know what to use.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, thanks for the reference correction, didn't work when I previewed, just thought it was some security update. What did I do wrong, I've been successful before?

Dave, good idea, but me, fiberglass and a job I'd be proud of are not particularly well suited together. I'm OK with a hidden, brute-force type job, but something this visible might not 'maintain' the value of the boat...I'll give it some thought though, if nothing else as a more temporary method of finding the optimum location (if I do it that is).
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
Dave, good idea, but me, fiberglass and a job I'd be proud of are not particularly well suited together. I'm OK with a hidden, brute-force type job, but something this visible might not 'maintain' the value of the boat...I'll give it some thought though, if nothing else as a more temporary method of finding the optimum location (if I do it that is).
Yeah, I don't blame you. I'd hesitate, also, if I had never done any glass work on the exterior of a boat. If you get brave enough, do a dry run using some scrap oak on a curved surface similar in curvature to the area on your boat. Maybe a sheet of quarter inch plywod or similar, glassed with some 6 oz cloth, and then bent over a saw horse. That would be a real confidence-builder.

As far as placement ... I'd guess if you followed the line of one of the upper strakes, that would be good enough.

Somebody else here must have tried this already ... they should chime in soon enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: